Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which would you chose - 2015 C2 GTS or 2017 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:59 PM
wsjchoi
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
And Im sorry to all you old farts. But the 991.2 sound WAY better than the N/A 991.1. PSsst. Haters. Jealous of that Boost.
Old farts haha.. I'm 29, my ears and heart tell me to stay NA
If you're looking for a fast car, there are plenty of other cars
and haters? jealous? Most people here are very well off, getting into a new model isn't too hard
Old 10-17-2016, 10:50 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Depends on what you are coming from. If you have an SUV and are going into either you will be fine. If you are coming from a NA sports car you will probably miss the sound of an NA engine with the .2.

Either car will deliver a smile express shipped to your face so don't worry about the pleasure it will bring driving.

On a side note, I have an X5 TT V8 and since I got my 991 GTS the turbo lag on the X5 has become pronounced to my senses and quite annoying. Doesn't the .2 have a huge turbo lag.....hmm.

I take it back...Get the GTS!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:43 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd take the GTS, especially if it's a manual, but that's just my opinion. I have 991.2 C2, although there's little to none turbo lag in my own experience, the NA still wins on the sound and the throttle feedback.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:04 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

CTPORSCHE: Have you had the chance to drive them both yet?

Check out out these videos:

http://youtu.be/4zLQPc-UJoA

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-porsche-911-versus-old-which-better

https://youtu.be/2yNY8avAi54

These were a few of my favorites and helped me decide. Nevertheless, a personal decision, go with the one that feels best to you. I can say that there are more reasons to go with the 991.2.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:11 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Depends on what you are coming from. If you have an SUV and are going into either you will be fine. If you are coming from a NA sports car you will probably miss the sound of an NA engine with the .2.

Either car will deliver a smile express shipped to your face so don't worry about the pleasure it will bring driving.

On a side note, I have an X5 TT V8 and since I got my 991 GTS the turbo lag on the X5 has become pronounced to my senses and quite annoying. Doesn't the .2 have a huge turbo lag.....hmm.

I take it back...Get the GTS!

No.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:57 AM
ctporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again, thanks everyone for all the valuable opinions. The conclusion seems to be that both cars are awesome, with each one of them having unique advantages.

As a quick update, last night I found a very nice GTS I managed to agree to favorable purchase terms on. So, it looks like I'll go in that direction. My thoughts are that even though both cars are great, while it'll be possible to buy new turbo charged engine Porsches during years to come, NA ones won't be available, unless maybe GT3.

Last edited by ctporsche; 10-18-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: revise wording
Old 10-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by ctporsche
Once again, thanks everyone for all the valuable opinions. The conclusion seems to be that both cars are awesome, with each one of them having unique advantages.

As a quick update, last night I found a very nice GTS I managed to agree to favorable purchase terms on. So, it looks like I'll go in that direction. My thoughts are that even though both cars are great, while it'll be possible to buy new turbo charged engine Porsches during years to come, NA ones won't be available, unless maybe GT3.
At the same price, assuming similar options, it would be a tough choice. My heart says GTS, my mind says go with the 2 year newer car.

I have a 991S w/powerkit - so much fun to drive and sounds so great with PSE...go with a CPO GTS! (It's a Porsche; the heart always wins!)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:47 AM
ctporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
At the same price, assuming similar options, it would be a tough choice. My heart says GTS, my mind says go with the 2 year newer car.

I have a 991S w/powerkit - so much fun to drive and sounds so great with PSE...go with a CPO GTS! (It's a Porsche; the heart always wins!)
Price on GTS is ~7k lower, while orig. stickers are close. Miles just a bit higher on the GTS, but not much.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by ctporsche
Price on GTS is ~7k lower, while orig. stickers are close. Miles just a bit higher on the GTS, but not much.
Tough call, still pretty close price. Assuming condition of both is excellent. I would probably still lean towards the GTS.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:32 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I would argue just the opposite, if you're basing this on financials. The "value decay rate" of new water-cooled Carreras is very well known. If the prices started out the same and over 2 years the GTS has decayed to the same point the C2S has managed in a matter of months, then the GTS decay rate is obviously much shallower (assuming the GTS price is market correct. If not, then of course you don't want it as there are others out there at market correct pricing.)

So if the price is the same after two years and starting at the same point, it seems statistically logical that after another three years the GTS will be valued substantially higher.

EDIT: it seems they're not priced the same according to OP's reply. But my logic is still triumphant in a theoretical sense!

EDIT 2: As a GTS owner I suspect a 138k MSRP '15 GTS (like mine) will depreciate more slowly than a 138k 2015 C2S. But not necessarily any slower than a lower-options basic 2015 C2S. I think that's maybe a stretch. I know that 997 GTSs are priced higher than 2011 C2Ss, but have they depreciated less (in raw dollars, not percent) than a low-spec 2011 C2S?
Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I would argue just the opposite, if you're basing this on financials. The "value decay rate" of new water-cooled Carreras is very well known. If the prices started out the same and over 2 years the GTS has decayed to the same point the C2S has managed in a matter of months, then the GTS decay rate is obviously much shallower (assuming the GTS price is market correct. If not, then of course you don't want it as there are others out there at market correct pricing.)

So if the price is the same after two years and starting at the same point, it seems statistically logical that after another three years the GTS will be valued substantially higher.

EDIT: it seems they're not priced the same according to OP's reply. But my logic is still triumphant in a theoretical sense!
If you're looking for a mathematical decision then just look at the depreciation (or lack thereof comparatively) of a 997 GTS. GTS is something special and I do have some deep down envy when I come across one.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:16 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
If you're looking for a mathematical decision then just look at the depreciation (or lack thereof comparatively) of a 997 GTS. GTS is something special and I do have some deep down envy when I come across one.
I disagree, GTS is just a Carrera S with some extra options. It will depreciate like any 911 would. I would go with the newer car, as it's faster, better technology (like apple CarPlay).
Old 10-18-2016, 01:18 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
I disagree, GTS is just a Carrera S with some extra options. It will depreciate like any 911 would. I would go with the newer car, as it's faster, better technology (like apple CarPlay).
That GTS is highly differentiated in terms of retail soley based on the badge. But is also has things like the 15K powerkit.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
That GTS is highly differentiated in terms of retail soley based on the badge. But is also has things like the massively overpriced $17K powerkit.
FTFY. And while the GTS is cool, highly differentiated is a stretch. Similar to the 981, its pretty much a gussied up S model. The only differentiation is the wide body rear end, which not everyone sees as a styling positive, and the option of centerlocks, which, again, not everyone sees as a positive.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:31 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO

Not quite. The GTS is going to hold it's value better because the "trim" has a lot of bundled options in it that people want. Options sold a la carte depreciate to almost nothing very quickly - even if they are the exact same options. I didn't explain that very well but hopefully you get what I am saying.

The GTS is also the last of the NA engines and arguably the best Carrera of the 991.1 lineup. It's going to hold value better.

Quick Reply: Which would you chose - 2015 C2 GTS or 2017 C2S?