Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone feel like they have a bulls eye on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri View Post
Yeah; good point. That's why 'music' never caught on. It's just noise. Absolutely no purpose to it. Nobody ever found a way to make a living making it, so: it no longer exists.
Mufflers were invented because internal combustion engines are very loud without any downstream control of the rapidly expanding gases resulting from each firing pulse. Slowing down that expansion within the confines of a car most often results in back pressure, which tends to rob power from the engine, as IC engines are really pumps that are most efficient when they operate wide open and with as little restriction possible. Noise control is inversely related to that wide open power. A very quiet exhaust slows down the exiting exhaust gases so much as to cause the engine to develop less than optimal power, all other things being held equal.
Thank you, Mr Spock, for the explanation.
And yet, some people enjoy 'noise'.
Illogical. And yet, still true.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally do not subscribe to aftermarket exhausts that serve no purpose other than to make noise. Reminds me of a story a friend told me about a guy who showed to court for installing speakers on the outside of his car. PSE vs non PSE is trickier and I would have to look at a diagram of the exhaust flow in comparison to non PSE to determine if it's something I would be okay with.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:46 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

About the PSE exhaust/noise thing. I dig it. I love the sound of the PSE. I've had the Pcar long enough to know of ways to make her sing. Thats's just my personal preference. I mean, some folks like blow up dolls. It floats their boat. But that's just not my thang...

Peace
Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geiss
I personally do not subscribe to aftermarket exhausts that serve no purpose other than to make noise. Reminds me of a story a friend told me about a guy who showed to court for installing speakers on the outside of his car.

I'm actually a little sad for you.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:31 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Originally Posted by Valkuri View Post Thank you, Mr Spock, for the explanation. And yet, some people enjoy 'noise'. Illogical. And yet, still true.
Fascinating!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:59 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roosell

I'm actually a little sad for you.
You might have undiagnosed depression; should see a physician for diagnosis and treatment options.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:52 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

I live in the SF Bay Area and have notice a bit of the attention, both good and bad. It's funny to get the "good" attention when there are far more exotic cars around, but some people are weird like us and love these things. What's even funnier is to have someone in a nice Jag, Maserati, Tesla, Dodge Hellcat, etc. come up to the side and rev their engines. Vroom vroom, now move on as I don't want to have to turn up the volume on the radio.

When it comes to noise, I've heard a few other cars with PSE on as they drive by in a parking lot or on the road. I have a cab, so you can really here other cars when the top is down. I have rarely heard a 911 that didn't sound good, and I think PSE sounds great. But these things really aren't that loud compared to Ferraris, Jags, Maseratis, etc. And while I'm also a BMW fan (and former owner), a 991 with PSE sounds so much nicer than the F8X M3/M4, which are just sad. I haven't heard the M2 yet, but it's supposedly not quite as blatty. (I've never written that word before, but it fits.)
Old 09-14-2016, 12:01 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geiss
You might have undiagnosed depression; should see a physician for diagnosis and treatment options.
Or I might not; shouldn't.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:02 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roosell
Or I might not; shouldn't.
Denial is the leading cause of failure to seek prompt medical care.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:03 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by SkipSauls
I live in the SF Bay Area and have notice a bit of the attention, both good and bad. It's funny to get the "good" attention when there are far more exotic cars around, but some people are weird like us and love these things. What's even funnier is to have someone in a nice Jag, Maserati, Tesla, Dodge Hellcat, etc. come up to the side and rev their engines. Vroom vroom, now move on as I don't want to have to turn up the volume on the radio.

When it comes to noise, I've heard a few other cars with PSE on as they drive by in a parking lot or on the road. I have a cab, so you can really here other cars when the top is down. I have rarely heard a 911 that didn't sound good, and I think PSE sounds great. But these things really aren't that loud compared to Ferraris, Jags, Maseratis, etc. And while I'm also a BMW fan (and former owner), a 991 with PSE sounds so much nicer than the F8X M3/M4, which are just sad. I haven't heard the M2 yet, but it's supposedly not quite as blatty. (I've never written that word before, but it fits.)
Nothing beats a tesla revving its engine.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipSauls

I totally agree with you. F jag I wayyy too loud. Can't imagine a trip in one. V8 m3 nice. Newer M3 6 sounds like a Subaru w a fart can. Oh, I'm in San Rafael also
Old 09-14-2016, 01:54 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

May the sound of a NA PSE 911 live long and prosper.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:54 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Last edited by socalpcarfan; 09-14-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:06 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Regarding Teslas making noises, they make some sort of noise, or like a previous poster, I'm hearing things. Maybe it's a rustle or scuffle from the tires and a hum or whine from the motor; a more creative type could probably come up with a clever description! If it were up to me, all EVs would sound like the flying cars in the Jetsons by default.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:20 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

I like Tesla

Quick Reply: Anyone feel like they have a bulls eye on their car?