Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
He stuck his finger in it.

If you don't believe me or the photos I'll have the shop report their findings.
It isn't about me believing you. It is about me seeing that area and expressing that paint not being there or looking peeled in that shape is not an error. I am an unbiased 3rd party that is intimately familiar with the 991's body, knows film and wants you to be made whole.

I want to see resolution for you. IIRC, I was the one that referred you to the shop you are at now(unless you went somewhere else). The shop I referred is not an Xpel installer and I am not defending Xpel nor the installer. I have spoken out about Xpel and every manufacturer to some extent...I am not a fanboy. But when folks see the area under the badge they may think the paint peeling is a serious blunder. It is not uncommon. This is not an attack on your gripes. This is a technical bulletin of sorts as to what's happening to the paint under the badge.

With this said, I am bowing out. This information can be taken for what it's worth.

Giuseppe, I wish you the best having this resolved!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The only thing I don't think you can blame on them are the swirl marks. If you did not have the car professionally paint corrected and detailed before application, those swirl marks were almost certainly there already when they installed the film. My black Porsches came with those pre-installed by the factory...

Also, my black Spyder had the light fogging that some cars come with due to the application of the paper right after painting and I had to wait a few weeks until it out gassed before doing paint correction and OptiCoating, as my detailer was unwilling to coat the car until that had disappeared.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:10 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
If you had cuts in a shape dissimilar to the shape you are seeing in my picture, say, like the outlined shape of the badge itself, then yeah, that's a problem. But if it's the shape of the released paint, that is the factory scored line. The released paint in your picture is said factory scored paint and is not a thing to hide nor explain. I have had new cars come to me with it already released. It's just a Porsche factory thing.

For the record, I am not excusing any cut paint. Cut paint is not okay. I am only addressing what I see in terms of the released paint I saw in the posted picture. The released paint is following the outline of the factory scored area.
I failed to see "shape of released paint" or "factory scored paint" and the "if" that you are talking it. Unless I need my eye checked, the photo clearly shows a razor cut.

Originally Posted by NP993
This thread is the Salem Witch Trials of the automotive world. Giuseppe and some of his bratty internet friends have found their witches, and nothing anybody says is going to dissuade them. Facts don't matter. Being outraged feels good, and deciding that you've been victimized feels good. Burn the witches!
Facts don't matter? The problem is the facts are against xpel and their "authorized" installer. GiuseppeM may sound like an annoying customer with his English writing, but it doesn't mean that he's in the wrong.

Also, defending someone for injustice even it's just inside Internet, is a honorable action. But, maybe standing up for someone is just not for you.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 AM
jhbturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They way I see it: the manufacturer made a generous offer to rectify conduct by the installer. The affected party is not accepting it, folks are commenting on it, the community is piling on the criticism. At some point it's time to either accept the deal or reject it. Or the manufacturer just puts a fuse on it and say you've got 24 hours to accept it or it expires.

Would love to see this turn out well for OP.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:11 AM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Read your post... I have PPF on front end of mine, no problems & very happy. In your case & seeing your photos, yes install of PPF was really crappy & a refund should be inorder.

I was present watching the install and before leaving I inspected the entire install and had any concerns answered or address/fixed.

Question?... were you present when the install was performed and prior to install and washing did installer inspect paint condition of your car with you??
Old 07-23-2016, 02:22 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The installer cut thru the paint with his razor blade leaving it loose and pushed his finger in the aluminum section below.
OH MY GOSH. The installer needs a new career. He should be done.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The only thing I don't think you can blame on them are the swirl marks. If you did not have the car professionally paint corrected and detailed before application, those swirl marks were almost certainly there already when they installed the film. My black Porsches came with those pre-installed by the factory...
The company that removed the film yesterday inspected the whole car and the only areas with heavy swirl marks were the ones that the installer worked on. I had a couple flaws and a very light scratch. Now I have heavy scratches where the installer was grabbing the film with his nails, it's not easy to show in the pictures so I didn't post them, but I'll post them now. Both installer and Xpel Rep told me I had heavy swirl marks and he had to buff them out. So why did we find them upon removal?

Originally Posted by gw911nine97

I was present watching the install and before leaving I inspected the entire install and had any concerns answered or address/fixed.

Question?... were you present when the install was performed and prior to install and washing did installer inspect paint condition of your car with you??
I would have liked to but the installer told me it would take 3 days and wasn't an option (ended up being 1 and 1/2), when I dropped off the car I asked him to go over it and pointed out the two light scratches I had already, he looked and said "ok". That's it really. When I met the Xpel rep he told me the installer had to deal with heavy swirl marks and had to buff all the areas and prep them.
If that was the case why did we find them when we lift the film?
Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The company that removed the film yesterday inspected the whole car and the only areas with heavy swirl marks were the ones that the installer worked on. I had a couple flaws and a very light scratch. Now I have heavy scratches where the installer was grabbing the film with his nails, it's not easy to show in the pictures so I didn't post them, but I'll post them now. Both installer and Xpel Rep told me I had heavy swirl marks and he had to buff them out. So why did we find them upon removal?
A simple buffing isn't going to remove swirl marks. To get those out of a black car requires careful professional paint correction. I would never coat or wrap a car that hadn't first been thoroughly paint corrected, particularly a dark colored car.The paint is never perfect, even straight from the factory.

BTW, I wouldn't sweat those swirl marks. A good detailer can get rid of them. Get the car paint corrected before you wrap it again.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Holy crap I had thought from the original pictures that you were just an overly grumpy customer that got a poor install and should accept the offer for re-wrap or removal and refund, but they actually cut into the paint with razors? WTF.

I've had great protection with my XPEL, I parked next to a trailer and someone swung a metal door into my bumper and it put a ding in the XPEL but the not the paint, but apparently I was fortunate not to get a hack installer like this guy.

XPEL should make sure everyone gets the great experience that their product deserves and de-authorize this shop immediately.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:26 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Holy crap I had thought from the original pictures that you were just an overly grumpy customer that got a poor install and should accept the offer for re-wrap or removal and refund, but they actually cut into the paint with razors? WTF.

I've had great protection with my XPEL, I parked next to a trailer and someone swung a metal door into my bumper and it put a ding in the XPEL but the not the paint, but apparently I was fortunate not to get a hack installer like this guy.

XPEL should make sure everyone gets the great experience that their product deserves and de-authorize this shop immediately.
It's upsetting that I came across like a grumpy customer because as you can imagine it was not my intention, truth is when I shared this with David from Xpel he treated me like I was wasting his time. "He was too busy selling the product to his customers" he said. I have information that I still haven't shared because I wanted them to do the right thing, do you know how many times they asked me to go back to that same installer to have the film removed? There are things that I have reported to them that I haven't shared here and they acted like I didn't take their offer.
Even after finding the razor cuts in the paint, Xpel still hasn't apologized once for sending me there. No that I care about apologies but having the company COO coming to the forum and calling me a liar is infuriating.
Sorry for the rant, I wish I never put the film.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

It's upsetting that I came across like a grumpy customer because as you can imagine it was not my intention, truth is when I shared this with David from Xpel he treated me like I was wasting his time.
Yeah sorry for getting that impression, but the initial pics it was a bit hard to tell what was going on, and then the stuff about the water spots I was like ok now he's nit-picking. That and some of the imperfections do go away over time, I had a slightly noticeable diagonal crease across the hood that completely disappeared after a couple months, but seeing the knife damage to the actual car it looks like it really was some kind of nightmare horror shop.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:53 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The installer definitely ruined your car, I'd be livid too. I had Xpel installed on my new White 991.2 C2S immediately after delivery. I don't believe in films and this is my first experience. I hired a guy who charged almost double his competitor just to be safe than sorry. They cut the film larger than Xpel templates and wrap around most edges. They did a reasonably decent job but my OCD eyes can still see few small creases on the edge in the complex contours of bumper (just above the rubber guard) filling with black debris that won't go away. They damaged two small non-functional plastic caps behind frump liner trying to access the headlight assembly (they remove it for installation). So, will I do it again? Yes. The reason for this is it seems like 911 is a magnet for road debris. One area I was super glad I decided to add in the last minute is rocker panels ($600 extra). Boy did I underestimate how that area is abused with road debris and tar goo (they are paving roads in my area). I covered front bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors, rocker panel, rear fenders facing front, small strip on rear bumper next to tire well.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:00 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Hey Giuseppe,

Unfortunately this is every new car owners worst nightmare, and unfortunately it has happened to you. FORTUNATELY speaking from professional experience what has happened is 100% reversible. This will be a lesson for the installer and many other installers and potential clients throughout the country/world. As an installer whom has dealt with issues like this from other shops in our area my heart and frustrations go out to you, but I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience which can help others prevent these circumstances.

One of my BIGGEST frustrations with this industry is a lack of solid facts. There are many opinions regarding products, installations, benefits/limitations but not enough genuine solid insights.

I would like to take this opportunity to chime in with some of my industry insights. Take it for what its worth, but I've read through and seen alot of passionate responses so this is obviously very important to ALOT of you.

FACT #1, no installation will EVER be PERFECT. Why? Paint surfaces aren't perfect. Porsche has a BILLION dollar paint facility, BILLION dollar and there are still defects. The nature of any film means the potential for defects, debris, distortion etc. The defects to the extent shown here and then the explanation that it's "normal" is unacceptable to ME, and many of the other HIGH LEVEL installers around. To a large number of installers out there this install is "acceptable". The way your dissatisfaction was handled was absolutely unacceptable regardless of the level of skills or lack there of this shop had.

FACT #2, Paint protection film is made as protection first. It will be visible if you look for it, there will be visible edges, there will be texture/distortion, there will be tackiness. The extent to which you see these all depends on the film choice and most importantly the installer. My goal is to make it so that you can't tell its on the car, but obviously if you look for it you'll find it. Xpel does have some distortion and haze, this is more visible on darker vehicles such as black. Now they do have an updated film which should have been improved upon in these areas. We personally recommend a different film choice for dark colors for these reasons.

FACT #3, Broken parts/cut paint is NEVER acceptable. Porsche has made their vehicles in a way in which competent installers can safely remove items without damage. Sometimes clips break, but a good shop which cares for your best interests will inform you if ANYTHING unexpected ever happens and then cover any costs if it was their doing. Hacks will try to hide or cover up broken items, cut paint or pulled paint hoping the client will never see. Accountability is a common thread found in the elite shops around the country. You have a issue, reach out to the shop/installer, they should be happy to communicate with you and go over it to find a fix or explanation to fulfill your expectations.

In regards to the painted area under the emblem. As Xpel and JC have said, this area is VERY delicate. The paint underneath is blistered and brittle, there are times this area may be damage during the film install process. The damage shown here is extremely excessive and goes back to Fact #3 about accountability. If damage does happen the installers job is to #1 PREVENT that ever happening, but #2 inform their client, not hide it hoping no one will find it.

Once again, the lack of accountability, respect and craftsmanship shown on Giuseppe's car is well below the industry standard. He has every right to be upset, the ball was dropped by the installer in trying to satisfy his concerns. We are all looking forward to complete conclusion to this so he can go back to enjoying his beautiful GT3!

Hopefully this helps clarify some key points!
Old 07-23-2016, 08:36 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAD
FORTUNATELY speaking from professional experience what has happened is 100% reversible.
If I'm seeing the picture correctly, how can a puncture in the hood sheet metal be reversed, short of replacing the hood?

Isn't that badge area showing a break in the aluminum? If not, what am I seeing there?
Old 07-23-2016, 08:41 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by skiahh
If I'm seeing the picture correctly, how can a puncture in the hood sheet metal be reversed, short of replacing the hood?

Isn't that badge area showing a break in the aluminum? If not, what am I seeing there?
Would need some clearer pictures to see exactly what that damage is.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.