Sponsored by:

991 Carrera Watches

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
The list is nearly endless, depending on what style of watch. Aqua Terra, Nomos, glashutte original, tudor, Oris, Longines, Zenith, IWC, Breitling, etc etc.
Actually many of these watches cited use the same ETA movement as Tag Heuer, so they too are just case makers. IWC is a much higher grade watchmaker as one example, and should not be lumped in with Breitling, Tag, Longines etc. I will say that imho, Tag makes some of the most durable and good looking daily wearing watches at a great price point.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I've had a $65 seiko 5 for 5 years that I've used and abused (automatic btw) and it looks and operates fine.

So what (especially if quartz)? Most watches, save for vintage or pure dress watches will stand up to tons of abuse, including cheap crap like invicta. If thats your standard, then a G-shock is your go-to.

You want better quality than Tag at 3 to 6k? The list is nearly endless, depending on what style of watch.

Aqua Terra, Nomos, glashutte original, tudor, Oris, Longines, Zenith, IWC, Breitling, etc etc.
So what makes a great watch to you other than how it looks, performs, and stands up to use and abuse?

BTW, I have cross shopped a number of those watches and the only one that I thought was better quality, based on my perception and listening to a very experienced jeweler, was the Brietling. But it was also almost 50% more expensive than a comparable TAG/Heuer in real market pricing.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Actually many of these watches cited use the same ETA movement as Tag Heuer, so they too are just case makers. IWC is a much higher grade watchmaker as one example, and should not be lumped in with Breitling, Tag, Longines etc. I will say that imho, Tag makes some of the most durable and good looking daily wearing watches at a great price point.
PD uses a 7750 which Tudor also uses - it is a workhorse of the industry.

Funny about the comment to Porsche marketing to aspirational P car owners since a 9K watch is easily 1/4 the cost of a great 997.1
Old 03-23-2016, 10:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Arch, at that price range you should be looking at anything in the Omega line -- their CoAxial 8500 in-house movement is truly something different, it's beautifully finished, highly accurate, and resale is great on eBay when you grow tired of them. I have 4 Omega CoAxs and love them all.

For $8600 MSRP this gets you the 8500 movement, a very nice titanium case and bracelet, and a choice of 3 sizes of case. Also available in steel for a grand less.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:03 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've owned a bunch of watches over the years, including a Rolex for a short while which I hated, and my favorite watch remains my trusty old TAG/Heuer Formula 1. It has taken a massive beating over the past 10+ years and hasn't missed a beat. I'm amazed at how durable it's been, going from board room to under my leathers at the track to wake boarding, climbing, playing every sport imaginable and everything in between. Still on the original band, not a scratch on the watch, works flawlessly. And that's one of their cheap entry level watches. I'd love to see what a 'good' watch would do better for the money.
you say that your TAG took a "massive beating over the past 10} years".....how did you manage to do all that you did "without a scratch on the watch?"

and why did you hate your Rolex?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by oalvarez
you say that your TAG took a "massive beating over the past 10} years".....how did you manage to do all that you did "without a scratch on the watch?"

and why did you hate your Rolex?
It's a beast. I literally had it on my wrist every day for about 6-7 years, doing everything imaginable. Going to lake to ski, to the track with my bikes, working on the house, playing sports, never took it off. I'd even play ice hockey in it sometimes. I've banged it, dropped it, scratched against things countless times and it just doesn't scratch or break. And it's a look that never goes out of style, looks good in a suit or in cargo shorts and a t shirt at the beach. I would buy another TAG/Heuer in a heartbeat.

Years back I was working in Houston early in my career and I bought into the Rolex thing. Hated it. Never fit right on my wrist, looked way too dressy for casual wear for my tastes, too big, and, honestly, I just though it looked too showy. Sold it within a year.

Watches are personal. So much of it is personal taste. But the argument that TAG/Heuer is a crap watch that sells on brand is nonsense.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Arch, at that price range you should be looking at anything in the Omega line -- their CoAxial 8500 in-house movement is truly something different, it's beautifully finished, highly accurate, and resale is great on eBay when you grow tired of them. I have 4 Omega CoAxs and love them all.

For $8600 MSRP this gets you the 8500 movement, a very nice titanium case and bracelet, and a choice of 3 sizes of case. Also available in steel for a grand less.

I've heard good things, but Omega's just not my style. I like a sportier looking watch, particularly the band. Love some of the Breitlings, but they're more than I want to spend on a watch.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard good things, but Omega's just not my style. I like a sportier looking watch, particularly the band. Love some of the Breitlings, but they're more than I want to spend on a watch.
My Omega Soeedmaster Timeless has never lived up to its "chronometer" specification. I had it in 4 times in two years to correct its timing, but have given up. It's not wildly out of whack, but my non-chronometer Cartier is more accurate. Of course, if accuracy is primary, any decent quartz watch will do better than a mechanical one. The Omega is tough however, not affected by knocks, vibration from power tools, or dips in the ocean.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

BTW, all my watch money just went into my garage update (walls, cabinets, new RaceDeck), so it looks like I'll be wearing my Heuer F1 for another 10 years!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:34 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13
What I've always found slightly ironic about "Porsche Design" watches is that, for the most part, the people who can afford to buy a Porsche are likely going to be able to afford a much better watch. Instead, I think the brand is targeted to aspirational buyers who don't actually own a Porsche.

I also think that car-branded watches are a little silly. IWC has the AMG Ingenieur and JLC has put out some Aston Martin branded editions, but mostly they are a little gimmicky.
...and here is my two PD watches. I probably wouldn't buy them if I didn't have a Porsche. By the way, shouldn't this move to the "Watch Forum"?

Old 03-24-2016, 01:00 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
...and here is my two PD watches. I probably wouldn't buy them if I didn't have a Porsche. By the way, shouldn't this move to the "Watch Forum"?
I would never look in the watch forum on a porsche forum so I'll keep it going. This is fun.

I've had several watches during my life time. I hade the first Swiss army watch when I was in high school. They just reintroduced it BTW and is a classic in my opinion. Had a Tag, Breitling, 5 Rolex and have flipped them all to land on the Rolex submariner. Perfect watch in my opinion. Suit or tee shirt. Weekend or work it fits all situations.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:09 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I have to say though, the Tissot Nicky Hayden edition makes my naughty bits tingle.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:17 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

I have to say though, the Tissot Nicky Hayden edition makes my naughty bits tingle.
I don't have the swag to pull that one off.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:25 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I don't have the swag to pull that one off.
It's a bit over the top for me too, but that's why it draws me in. And I'm a huge Hayden fan.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:27 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a beast. I literally had it on my wrist every day for about 6-7 years, doing everything imaginable. Going to lake to ski, to the track with my bikes, working on the house, playing sports, never took it off. I'd even play ice hockey in it sometimes. I've banged it, dropped it, scratched against things countless times and it just doesn't scratch or break. And it's a look that never goes out of style, looks good in a suit or in cargo shorts and a t shirt at the beach. I would buy another TAG/Heuer in a heartbeat.

Years back I was working in Houston early in my career and I bought into the Rolex thing. Hated it. Never fit right on my wrist, looked way too dressy for casual wear for my tastes, too big, and, honestly, I just though it looked too showy. Sold it within a year.

Watches are personal. So much of it is personal taste. But the argument that TAG/Heuer is a crap watch that sells on brand is nonsense.
I'm not a watch guy. I received a TAG front the 6000 series over 15 yrs ago as a gift. I have the same experience. Wear it every day skiing surfing going to the gym work driving. You get the idea. It's bullet proof,the only scratches are on the clasp. Very minor. It never misses time. So I'm a big fan as well!

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera Watches