991 Carrera Watches

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:41 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 991 Carrera Watches

http://search.jomashop.com/search#w=porsche%20design

Flash sale between 82% & 85% off. Porsche Design prices can be obnoxious.... but its a fair price at these discounts. I got one back in January and like wearing it.

Thoughts others would be interested at these prices.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Hmmm... couldn't find a 991 Carrera. Searching for Porsche Design on their site reveals a handful of Flat Six models. Ironically (and this NEVER happens) the only one I really like is far and away the cheapest -- an automatic in a nice gray (or grey, in Porschespeak ) for $695! I'd get it in a heartbeat, but 42mm is the outside of what doesn't look ridiculous on my wrist, and this is 44.

http://www.jomashop.com/porsche-desi...3-94-1255.html
Old 03-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Sadly, even at these discounted prices, Porsche Design watches are way over priced for what you get. They are nothing more that fairly cheap cases and straps with a very low cost movement inside. They trade on their name. Just like many watch brands such as TAG.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Sadly, even at these discounted prices, Porsche Design watches are way over priced for what you get. They are nothing more that fairly cheap cases and straps with a very low cost movement inside. They trade on their name. Just like many watch brands such as TAG.
Typically I'd agree, but a Sellita SW200 movement (fundamentally the same as ETA 2824-2) isn't that bad for a $600 watch.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:13 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
So you are saying that TAG is using cheap parts? I don't think you can generalize TAG as using cheap cases and straps with a very low cost movement. They have entry level watches for sure but saying that they are the same with Porsche watch is not accurate. Just my $0.2 opinion.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:56 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality watches speak for themselves and would not need the assistance of steep discounting to sell.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoyV
So you are saying that TAG is using cheap parts? I don't think you can generalize TAG as using cheap cases and straps with a very low cost movement. They have entry level watches for sure but saying that they are the same with Porsche watch is not accurate. Just my $0.2 opinion.
yeah, tags are really really nothing special, a few models aside.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

What I've always found slightly ironic about "Porsche Design" watches is that, for the most part, the people who can afford to buy a Porsche are likely going to be able to afford a much better watch. Instead, I think the brand is targeted to aspirational buyers who don't actually own a Porsche.

I also think that car-branded watches are a little silly. IWC has the AMG Ingenieur and JLC has put out some Aston Martin branded editions, but mostly they are a little gimmicky.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
yeah, tags are really really nothing special, a few models aside.
TAG watches are as special as the price point of each watch, comparable to other watches at those price points. They're anything but overpriced cheap watches.

You can get a better watch for more money, but they're a great watch at their price point. And they are incredibly durable. Beyond that it's simply what style one prefers.

On the other hand, Porsche watches look like total lifestyle brand garbage to me.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:30 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13
What I've always found slightly ironic about "Porsche Design" watches is that, for the most part, the people who can afford to buy a Porsche are likely going to be able to afford a much better watch. Instead, I think the brand is targeted to aspirational buyers who don't actually own a Porsche.

I also think that car-branded watches are a little silly. IWC has the AMG Ingenieur and JLC has put out some Aston Martin branded editions, but mostly they are a little gimmicky.
Don't forget the ever present brietling/Bentley connection. If I never saw another Breitling it would be all right with me.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
TAG watches are as special as the price point of each watch, comparable to other watches at those price points. They're anything but overpriced cheap watches.

You can get a better watch for more money, but they're a great watch at their price point. And they are incredibly durable. Beyond that it's simply what style one prefers.

On the other hand, Porsche watches look like total lifestyle brand garbage to me.
yeah, in fact, they are not.

Tags are hatefully overpriced, and their movements are truly nothing special. Many cheap throwaway quartz movements, a few with 2824/2836 or 7750s, and its bull**** "100% in house" 1887 movement of origins that appear to be seiko.

Bracelets have terrible assembly quality, ill fitment, and dodgy clasps.

Tag is a well known mall brand with decent quality and a heavy advertising budget, but its overpriced at MSRP (like a lot of watches). Compare an ORIS or tudor diver to the aquaracer and you'll see why. Its really no contest.

I put the average tag on par with hamilton, maybe a tiny bit above on some models, and below on others. The carrera line ain't bad, but thats about it.

Tag is far from alone in this category by the way.

heur on the other hand, made some very nice pieces until the acquisition.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Deadshot
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13

I give you the Bremont Jaguar line: http://www.bremont.com/collection/bremont-jaguar

I personally find them quite beautiful.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
yeah, in fact, they are not.

Tags are hatefully overpriced, and their movements are truly nothing special. Many cheap throwaway quartz movements, a few with 2824/2836 or 7750s, and its bull**** "100% in house" 1887 movement of origins that appear to be seiko.

Bracelets have terrible assembly quality, ill fitment, and dodgy clasps.

Tag is a well known mall brand with decent quality and a heavy advertising budget, but its overpriced at MSRP (like a lot of watches). Compare an ORIS or tudor diver to the aquaracer and you'll see why. Its really no contest.

I put the average tag on par with hamilton, maybe a tiny bit above on some models, and below on others. The carrera line ain't bad, but thats about it.

Tag is far from alone in this category by the way.

heur on the other hand, made some very nice pieces until the acquisition.
Couldn't disagree more. Name a watch at their price point that is significantly better than a TAG/Heuer? I've been shopping for a new watch and everything at the price point I'm focused on $4-8k list ($3-6k real world) is near identical in quality.

I've owned a bunch of watches over the years, including a Rolex for a short while which I hated, and my favorite watch remains my trusty old TAG/Heuer Formula 1. It has taken a massive beating over the past 10+ years and hasn't missed a beat. I'm amazed at how durable it's been, going from board room to under my leathers at the track to wake boarding, climbing, playing every sport imaginable and everything in between. Still on the original band, not a scratch on the watch, works flawlessly. And that's one of their cheap entry level watches. I'd love to see what a 'good' watch would do better for the money.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Couldn't disagree more. Name a watch at their price point that is significantly better than a TAG/Heuer? I've been shopping for a new watch and everything at the price point I'm focused on $4-8k list ($3-6k real world) is near identical in quality.

I've owned a bunch of watches over the years, including a Rolex for a short while which I hated, and my favorite watch remains my trusty old TAG/Heuer Formula 1. It has taken a massive beating over the past 10+ years and hasn't missed a beat. I'm amazed at how durable it's been, going from board room to under my leathers at the track to wake boarding, climbing, playing every sport imaginable and everything in between. Still on the original band, not a scratch on the watch, works flawlessly. And that's one of their cheap entry level watches. I'd love to see what a 'good' watch would do better for the money.
I've had a $65 seiko 5 for 5 years that I've used and abused (automatic btw) and it looks and operates fine.

So what (especially if quartz)? Most watches, save for vintage or pure dress watches will stand up to tons of abuse, including cheap crap like invicta. If thats your standard, then a G-shock is your go-to.

You want better quality than Tag at 3 to 6k? The list is nearly endless, depending on what style of watch.

Aqua Terra, Nomos, glashutte original, tudor, Oris, Longines, Zenith, IWC, Breitling, etc etc.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:49 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I've never had a thing for expensive watches whatsoever.

I have a titanium Citizen Skyhawk that was maybe $300 many years ago and it's considered a cheap watch, but it has all the time zones on it so when I land somewhere I press a few buttons and the hands move to the correct time, and it has the little pilot whiz wheel on it. I've never seen an expensive watch that's titanium plus has those things. Why would I pay more for something that's worse? I guess ask a Maserati owner.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera Watches