Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Carrera Watches

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:35 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I like the "limited edition" martini racing one....but beyond that, I don't think porsche design watches are special in any way.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:13 AM
snowcar_C4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Design P6930

I picked up one of these from Jomashop, they are currently out of stock. I think watches are a personal choice, I like going for something rare vs. the usual stuff.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2016, 02:03 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Received a Tag Carrera as a gift from the wife two years ago. Nice piece and I like that it makes reference to what I drive. So far it has treated me well. I'm not the type to dissect it's inter workings and compare it to it rivals. It has served me well in my day to day life and that is good enough for me. Cheers
Old 03-24-2016, 02:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

I have one of the Porsche Design Carrera watches from the 50th Anniversary. Came with a little toy car too. I bought it from a Porsche enthusiast off eBay. It was about $900. I really like it. I wear it about one month out of the year. I cycle through all my watches about once per year.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I would never look in the watch forum on a porsche forum so I'll keep it going. This is fun.

I've had several watches during my life time. I hade the first Swiss army watch when I was in high school. They just reintroduced it BTW and is a classic in my opinion. Had a Tag, Breitling, 5 Rolex and have flipped them all to land on the Rolex submariner. Perfect watch in my opinion. Suit or tee shirt. Weekend or work it fits all situations.
Hard not to like the submariner in the gold/blue or black/stainless.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2016, 03:34 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I am not sure about TAG making cheap quality watches, I have a TAG Carrera for over 10 years and it taken a beating of daily use and abuse. It always on my wrist through college years, party nights, and surfing season and still running like a champ only one service last year. Now that I get older and more mature I replace it with Rolex Daytona but I must admit it's a little too flashy. I am looking to add a Submariner Date for daily use soon, if I can find a mint condition still under warranty use one on RolexForum. Watches, cars, golf and surfing are my only hobby nowadays.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:50 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a Milgauss Glas Verte like this, but I just never bonded with it on the wrist. I bought it on a whim a couple years ago but it's going on the 'Bay next month in my semi-annual purge of stuff I've moved past but is too good to throw away. Good news is I'll make money on it.

If I replace it with a Roller it will be a modern Explorer. Had an original 1016 Explorer a long time ago, but the 34mm case was just too small. Still love the simplicity.

Problem is, I already have a 39mm Omega Railmaster from a few years ago and it's philosophically so close to the Explorer I'm not sure I want both of them.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:13 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Actually many of these watches cited use the same ETA movement as Tag Heuer, so they too are just case makers. IWC is a much higher grade watchmaker as one example, and should not be lumped in with Breitling, Tag, Longines etc. I will say that imho, Tag makes some of the most durable and good looking daily wearing watches at a great price point.
Actually, they don't.

Omega uses the in house 2500 or 8500 in the Aqua Terra

Nomos has an inhouse movement, although it has similarities to ETA movements

glashutte original develops their engine in house, but it is modular

Longines, tudor and Oris do use the 2824, but they tend to use higher grades, and the assembly quality is superior.

Funny you mention IWC. They are one of the worst offenders of using box stock 2824s in their models like the portofino. That said, the quality of finishing compared to tag is no contest.

You could probably also get a low end JLC in the price range.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

I can't believe I forgot Grand Seiko.

Quality to dollar on these is outstanding. No comparison to tag.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:44 PM
mmaturo
Racer

My Heuer Monaco from the year they reintroduced it from the original and a much later special edition Monaco for racing...blue with white stripes have both been fine and the detail is there. I have a Carerra Tag that was a Goodwood festival of speed special edition from two years ago with black red and silver accents. My daily however is my Panerai I have had for many years before the masses found them. I have beaten it to heck but still works and looks good...several bands in. May buy an old Rolex GMT II with the Pepsi colors one day (just still love the red/blue bezel with the black face...too bad the new version is 20K+) though I prefer the larger size of my Panerai's
Old 03-24-2016, 05:52 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

old rolex sea-dweller here, no longer made, makes it even more special. i love my panerai marina 44mm too; bulletproof but a big watch (mine wears the rubber/diver wrist strap). secondary prices on these watches are phenomenal, remind me of GT3s and the like. watches are fun but nothing like driving a Porsche. my play watches are a garmin 920xt and seiko divers watch (orange face/blue-white inner ring, black bezel).

add: one of my fav looking watches in a long while? the TAG Gulf livery Monaco. love, love, love.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:53 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I used to have a vintage Heuer Carrera a few years ago. Beautiful, beautiful hand-wound watch, but they are so small that after about age 42 it became a watch I could no longer read. : ) That said, my understanding is that the Heuers and the TAGHeuers have pretty much nothing in common except the last 6 letters of their names.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I have a Milgauss Glas Verte like this, but I just never bonded with it on the wrist. I bought it on a whim a couple years ago but it's going on the 'Bay next month in my semi-annual purge of stuff I've moved past but is too good to throw away. Good news is I'll make money on it. If I replace it with a Roller it will be a modern Explorer. Had an original 1016 Explorer a long time ago, but the 34mm case was just too small. Still love the simplicity. Problem is, I already have a 39mm Omega Railmaster from a few years ago and it's philosophically so close to the Explorer I'm not sure I want both of them.
I like the looks of the Omega better, but there is a lot of opinion that Omega tries hard to be Rolex, but doesn't measure up.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:45 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 187 Posts

Rolex Explorer II for me, wear it everyday. Stainless with Black face.
Eric
Old 03-25-2016, 07:31 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
I like the "limited edition" martini racing one....but beyond that, I don't think porsche design watches are special in any way.
This one? It's made by Fossil. When I first got it, my wife asked me why I bought a toy watch.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera Watches