Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Carrera Watches

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Enjoying the topic, gents. I think good quality mechanical watches have a natural allegiance with quality cars. Funnily enough the conversations about our vehicles being "drivers cars", "engaging" etc can be said about various watch types. And I'm a sucker for watch brands market associating with motorsports and vehicles but cant bring myself to buy a "porsche" or "audi" branded (no name) watch. Ive Tag, Brietling and IWC. Choice at the moment is the https://www.breitling.com/en/campaig...ger-hurricane/
Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Enjoying the topic, gents. I think good quality mechanical watches have a natural allegiance with quality cars. Funnily enough the conversations about our vehicles being "drivers cars", "engaging" etc can be said about various watch types. And I'm a sucker for watch brands market associating with motorsports and vehicles but cant bring myself to buy a "porsche" or "audi" branded (no name) watch. Ive Tag, Brietling and IWC. Choice at the moment is the https://www.breitling.com/en/campaig...ger-hurricane/
Nice point about engagement. I also own a Chronoswiss, whose motto is "fascination with mechanics". The watch has a crystal back so that you can, in fact, be fascinated by it's operation. Awesome looking Breitling. It's one of this watches however whose brilliant design can make it hard to tell time at a glance.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
I am not sure about TAG making cheap quality watches, I have a TAG Carrera for over 10 years and it taken a beating of daily use and abuse. It always on my wrist through college years, party nights, and surfing season and still running like a champ only one service last year. Now that I get older and more mature I replace it with Rolex Daytona but I must admit it's a little too flashy. I am looking to add a Submariner Date for daily use soon, if I can find a mint condition still under warranty use one on RolexForum. Watches, cars, golf and surfing are my only hobby nowadays.
I really wish you had not posted that watch... As much as I tried... Could not stop looking at them after...

My new car watch:

Old 04-23-2016, 12:21 PM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Arch, at that price range you should be looking at anything in the Omega line -- their CoAxial 8500 in-house movement is truly something different, it's beautifully finished, highly accurate, and resale is great on eBay when you grow tired of them. I have 4 Omega CoAxs and love them all.

For $8600 MSRP this gets you the 8500 movement, a very nice titanium case and bracelet, and a choice of 3 sizes of case. Also available in steel for a grand less.

+1 for Omega. I have a Seamaster also and it is my favorite watch. Excellent build quality, and I find the bracelet to me more comfortable than others also.

My other favorite watch brand is not Swiss, but German. Check out Sinn. Swiss movements with some clever German mods, and typical German workmanship on the casework.

http://www.sinnwatch.com/learn-about-sinn-watches.htm
Attached Images  

Last edited by blschaefer1; 04-23-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:10 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by blschaefer1
+1 for Omega. I have a Seamaster also and it is my favorite watch. Excellent build quality, and I find the bracelet to me more comfortable than others also.

My other favorite watch brand is not Swiss, but German. Check out Sinn. Swiss movements with some clever German mods, and typical German workmanship on the casework.

http://www.sinnwatch.com/learn-about-sinn-watches.htm
Agree completely! I had a Sinn chronograph with a Lemania 5100 movemnt, the greatest chronograph movement ever devised by the mind of man. Only problem was the legibility was compromised because Sinn utilized all possible 5100 complications and just gave it too much busyness on the dial:

So I sold it and replaced with another German chrono that uses the 5100, a Tutima 760-42 Commando II. Now I have the most legible, readable chronograph every devised by the mind of man. Certainly not pretty, but elegant in its functional simplicity.

If you don't know the Lemania movement, it has 4 hands on the main dial. The two orange are accumulated time hands; the one that looks like a jet fighter is the minutes counter. You can actually jog with this watch, bouncing all over the place, and read elapsed time instantly. Try that with any small subdial chronograph. And by getting rid of the other two subdials, the day window, the tachymeter, and the 1/5 seconds track around the outside, Tutima has engineered a great chrono. From what I understand, this was West German Airforce issue for a period of time and that's why it was simplified for ease of use. Also note the flat pushers for chrono operation.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:03 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm planning in buying a Porsche watch, meanwhile will keep using my BRM & Chopard

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera Watches