Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine whine / sound @ idle when warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine whine / sound @ idle when warm

I realize this description could be better, but I don't have all that much to go on except what I hear and see.

When the car is warm, and idling, there is a distinct whine coming from the engine... in fact, I would say it's more of a "whoosh" type of sound. I can't really imagine what else would make that kind of sound aside from the belts, so I pulled the airbox on my 944S to take a look at the belts, and rollers, and check that everything is tight and "right". I'm not EXACTLY sure how everything should look but everything seems to be fine, and looks the way it always has from what I know. Perhaps I could just lubricate some of the rollers? Is that a good/bad idea? What would I go about lubricating them with, and where? Obviously I wouldnt want to get any on the belts themselves. Otherwise I'm not really sure what this sound is, but I didnt have it before, and it's quite disconcerning. Also, it seems as if its started since the weather has gotten warmer...

I've attached a few pictures I snapped while I had the airbox out. I'm sure everyone will find something "wrong" and "about to go" in my engine compartment.. how does everything look?

I think my next step will be to hook up the airbox (sideways) and start the engine and try to hear the sound with the hood up, although I'm not sure how much luck I will have with a cold-start engine. Also, maybe I'll try to record the sound... its pretty hard to hear between all the other racket the engine usually makes

thanks

Old 05-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to describe noises we hear to someone else is generally a very hard thing to do, I do agree! As far as pinpointing the noise, you could try using mechanic's stethoscope, probing around the typical areas like waterpump, altenator, and ect. I must really warn you however to make sure you are aware that you must stay well clear of the distributor/plug wires while doing so, unless your really looking for a jolt! (I recently did this myself!). I'm sure not familiar with the S cars, but can't imagine that the rollers are much, if any different regarding that they are sealed bearings in those rollers, and no way can you lube them, nor do you even want to try. Replacement is the only option if noise/problem is present. Good luck, I'm sure more will chime in!
Old 05-28-2004, 01:51 AM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't be so sure

well, thanks for letting me know about the rollers. i should have figured as much. so what could it possibly be besides a belt? and even if it is a belt... is it a possible sign of something bad or... ?

i guess i need to get a few sound clips up...

Quick Reply: engine whine / sound @ idle when warm