Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 08:33 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
Yes.

I was just speaking with my sales guy and he told me I should be able to drive one Monday or Tuesday.

My car just docked in San Juan Puerto Rico. It is still about a month out from the dealership.

Good news for you there's a new dealership in town in Chandler. Porsche Scottsdale is losing the monopoly. They've definitely taken advantage of their captive market.

I know someone who stopped by the Chandler dealership and said it's pretty amazing.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:08 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STG991
Good news for you there's a new dealership in town in Chandler. Porsche Scottsdale is losing the monopoly. They've definitely taken advantage of their captive market.

I know someone who stopped by the Chandler dealership and said it's pretty amazing.
Not sure how it is good news for me since my deal is an almost done deal. All that is missing is a CAR and my $$$ transfer to them. LOL.

Porsche of Scottsdale has been as good as any dealer I have dealt with in the past.

All that remains is time and patience. Oh yeah, then satisfaction and payment.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:34 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Question for those who have driven both the 991.1 and 991.2. Low end torque of the 991.2 is a big plus for many people. How does the low end torque of the 991.1 in sport mode compare with the low end torque of the 991.2 in normal mode?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
Not sure how it is good news for me since my deal is an almost done deal. All that is missing is a CAR and my $$$ transfer to them. LOL.

Porsche of Scottsdale has been as good as any dealer I have dealt with in the past.

All that remains is time and patience. Oh yeah, then satisfaction and payment.
Good as in the locals of Phoenix have a choice now, and what looks like will be a much better one.

Unbelievable that there's only been 1 Porsche dealer in all of Phoenix for so long. I believe Porsche of Chandler is the only new dealer PCNA has franchised over the past 10yrs.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:44 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 03-13-2016, 12:52 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
they may not be "launch cars", they may be customer cars... I noticed the one I have on order is listed on my dealer's website as inventory... which is a little funny...
Yeah, this is a normal automated process. After you collect your car it will disappear from their inventory.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 AM
AtlantaPerimeter
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
Question for those who have driven both the 991.1 and 991.2. Low end torque of the 991.2 is a big plus for many people. How does the low end torque of the 991.1 in sport mode compare with the low end torque of the 991.2 in normal mode?
It's a huge increase. It's much more drive able around town at lower RPMs. Not that a 991.1 isn't but it's a lot more torque.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:10 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

This might sound crazy but I love that the 991.1 is "slow" at low RPMs. My last car was an S4, which I already felt was too fast to be fun around town. I had a Mini Cooper S, that was a lot of fun. The NA 991 engine is so fun because you have to wind it up to get the monster torque, and you get the OMGinsane sound to go with it. I haven't driven the 991.2, but based on other cars I expect it's more power than I'd want when just enjoying the linear torque curve, and to get in the upper RPMs you're probalby getting arrested on public roads.

It's too bad they couldn't keep both options side by side. I'm sure there's some people who prefer the new engine, and others who prefer the old one.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:15 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by AtlantaPerimeter
It's a huge increase.It's much more drive able around town at lower RPMs.
Hard for me to process this statement. I really can't imagine wanting more power, though I have an MT. Does the PDK not feel strong enough for city driving? I do not street race, so maybe I'm boring--if you race people at stoplights then maybe that's a different group of people with different requirements.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:40 PM
AtlantaPerimeter
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MrGreen
Hard for me to process this statement. I really can't imagine wanting more power, though I have an MT. Does the PDK not feel strong enough for city driving? I do not street race, so maybe I'm boring--if you race people at stoplights then maybe that's a different group of people with different requirements.
You feel more power at all times. It's like running around at 5K RPM's in a 991.1 but at 1700 RPM.

Similar to a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke engine.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:33 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt something similar when I went from a high revving gasoline alfa romeo to a turbodiesel BMW 330xd back in the day...

Yes, torque is nice to have...
Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 PM
mmaturo
Racer

This might sound crazy but I love that the 991.1 is "slow" at low RPMs. My last car was an S4, which I already felt was too fast to be fun around town. I had a Mini Cooper S, that was a lot of fun. The NA 991 engine is so fun because you have to wind it up to get the monster torque, and you get the OMGinsane sound to go with it. I haven't driven the 991.2, but based on other cars I expect it's more power than I'd want when just enjoying the linear torque curve, and to get in the upper RPMs you're probalby getting arrested on public roads.

It's too bad they couldn't keep both options side by side. I'm sure there's some people who prefer the new engine, and others who prefer the old one.
Going for crazy to me anyway...this is EXACTLY what I hate about my 991.1 is the lack of response at lower rpm and why I still love my Audi's more from that standpoint and the transmission downshifting more in anticipation of what is happening rather me doing it manually...don't have that issue with my R8 or RS5 (which both have NA engines as well that gather rpm and speed with less drama). I just drove the 991.2 at Amelia Island and liked the engine response much much better. It is responsive finally in the low range so does get up and go without full tilt wail of the engine...I prefer not to draw a ton of attention to the input of throttle... and a much quicker build up than the 991.1 smash the pedal wait for it wait it screaaaam oh there it is finally.

To answer a previous question the 991.2 is simply in the torque band period where the 991.1 even is sport must be wound out. It is very different and obvious. I liked it.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by mmaturo
the 991.1 smash the pedal wait for it wait it screaaaam oh there it is finally.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have never felt this way about my GTS, but I did often feel my S4 was too fast too quick, with something unexciting about it. Again I'm coming from a MT, where you put it in the gear you want and press the pedal, I don't feel there's any delay. If it's PDK, then yes you have to wait for it to figure out what you want to do. The shift itself is a microsecond, but the delay in it realizing it needs to shift is very real.

In regard to the other comment, I do know what torque is, I just feel like too much torque down low is boring. I can understand someone wanting lots of torque as well, just the statement that the 991.1 wasn't "driveable" around the city seemed a bit strange.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by AtlantaPerimeter
It's like running around at 5K RPM's in a 991.1 but at 1700 RPM.
Yes, and I love running around at 5K RPMs, the sound is absolutely glorious. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:07 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, and I love running around at 5K RPMs, the sound is absolutely glorious. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
I am the same way. The 991.1 is still a 0-60 3.9 to 4 second car in the GTS. New car is a couple tenths faster. While the other poster is right about the lower end torque of the new car. Its all about the sound the old car makes thats for me.

Thats not important to everyone. I understand that, and by no means am banging on the new car. Its nice! Just two different thoughts is all. I respect the other posters love for the new car! We all like different things.

Took my car out today for the first time and it was so fun. Couple compliments on my exhaust system as well.

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!