Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 03:57 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Same on this side of the pond. Offloaded Tuesday - Customs has to be used to this - and it should have no problem clearing them for release almost immediately. I don't know what is involved with clearing at customs - but it should be routine by now - considering decades of practice.
Your comment made me think. Assuming since an entity has been doing a standard process forever therefore they must be skilled in the art is, rather sadly, often inaccurate - it assumes innovation and progression. In many cases those are unrewarded and stay rather stagnant. In some organizations the metrics that are of interest to those outside of the organization might be a rather low priority inside of it, and in this case freight throughput is likely a second tier priority behind the anti-smuggling protocols. But likewise, a very well funded public company can be less incentivized to minimize costs and run efficiently in financial terms, and in consumer goods the old incandescent light bulb is a technological rut - it was so cheap that nobody could afford to innovate and make a profit. I think effectively and systematically identifying and solving these types of problems/inefficiencies on a large and broad scale will be one of the world's next great innovations.

But it sounds like their process - wait 'til it's full - might mean there's days of variation between the cargo on the same ship that loads first and unloads last vs. cargo that gets on last and off first.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:02 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Your comment made me think. Assuming since an entity has been doing a standard process forever therefore they must be skilled in the art is, rather sadly, often inaccurate - it assumes innovation and progression. In many cases those are unrewarded and stay rather stagnant. In some organizations the metrics that are of interest to those outside of the organization might be a rather low priority inside of it, and in this case freight throughput is likely a second tier priority behind the anti-smuggling protocols. But likewise, a very well funded public company can be less incentivized to minimize costs and run efficiently in financial terms, and in consumer goods the old incandescent light bulb is a technological rut - it was so cheap that nobody could afford to innovate and make a profit. I think effectively and systematically identifying and solving these types of problems/inefficiencies on a large and broad scale will be one of the world's next great innovations.

But it sounds like their process - wait 'til it's full - might mean there's days of variation between the cargo on the same ship that loads first and unloads last vs. cargo that gets on last and off first.
I hope they solve it this month
Old 10-28-2016, 04:16 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

As another data point, my ship docked in San Diego on Saturday, 10/22, unloaded my car, ship was gone on Sunday, 10/23. My latest update from my SA on Tuesday 10/25 was Price Sticker was printed, and car was released for transport, and I should be able to take delivery this month -- by next Monday. It's now Friday, and I sent a message to my SA for an update -- hoping to pick it up this weekend. The port is < 100 miles from my dealer. It's a shame that there are no tools for us to track the status, and we must rely upon our SA for each status update -- feel like I'm pestering him. Yea, guess I am. Sure will be nice when this deal is done.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:13 PM
ABE992
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Found out my car is on the vessel "G. Poseidon" Left a week early so should receive a week early. Looking at Dec 9th delivery to dealer. I'm on the countdown.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:07 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
As another data point, my ship docked in San Diego on Saturday, 10/22, unloaded my car, ship was gone on Sunday, 10/23. My latest update from my SA on Tuesday 10/25 was Price Sticker was printed, and car was released for transport, and I should be able to take delivery this month -- by next Monday. It's now Friday, and I sent a message to my SA for an update -- hoping to pick it up this weekend. The port is < 100 miles from my dealer. It's a shame that there are no tools for us to track the status, and we must rely upon our SA for each status update -- feel like I'm pestering him. Yea, guess I am. Sure will be nice when this deal is done.
Absolutely agree with your feeling. I feel like I am annoying him.
The thing is - the sales guys all say they got into this business because of their passion for the cars. I know if I sold Porsches, it would be for that reason. Shouldn't they WANT to keep us posted on their own? Because it's enjoyable? (besides being their job). Don't they know we want to know if its at the port, on the truck, when it gets there, shouldn't they take a picture and email it to the customer the moment it arrives because its like welcoming a new member to the family. Don't they understand how we feel?
Old 10-29-2016, 01:11 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Absolutely agree with your feeling. I feel like I am annoying him.
The thing is - the sales guys all say they got into this business because of their passion for the cars. I know if I sold Porsches, it would be for that reason. Shouldn't they WANT to keep us posted on their own? Because it's enjoyable? (besides being their job). Don't they know we want to know if its at the port, on the truck, when it gets there, shouldn't they take a picture and email it to the customer the moment it arrives because its like welcoming a new member to the family. Don't they understand how we feel?
I really like my SA -- nice guy, knowledgable, responsive to my queries in a reasonable time, always tells me the straight scoop. Fact is, he has no influence to get my car from the port to the dealership sooner -- has been a week though since the car arrived on dry land. And he has no control over Porsche IT, to install a system for consumers to track their vehicles on order. He committed to me that he will contact me as soon as the truck pulls into the dealership -- maybe it's today. I hope.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
When I had a custom built BMW, I could look up my order at any time, see where it was in production and delivery, plus I received a video of the car on the production line. Ummm - four years ago! Porsche is way behind on this.

It also feels like I am bothering my SA to keep asking about my car, but heck, we've paid six figures for our cars. We have a right to expect information to be volunteered, especially since Porsche is less than state of the art and cannot provide it online.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:48 PM
ddodds
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
When I had a custom built BMW, I could look up my order at any time, see where it was in production and delivery, plus I received a video of the car on the production line. Ummm - four years ago! Porsche is way behind on this.

It also feels like I am bothering my SA to keep asking about my car, but heck, we've paid six figures for our cars. We have a right to expect information to be volunteered, especially since Porsche is less than state of the art and cannot provide it online.
Just curious here, have you paid for the car in full prior to delivery or merely placed a deposit on an order.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:41 PM
abizarvakharia
Intermediate

Need some advice, please.

Ordered our C4 in late July and was told we should plan on a December delivery. My SA called today to tell me Porsche delayed my build to April or May next year!

Have others had a similar experience?
Old 10-29-2016, 10:00 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by abizarvakharia
Ordered our C4 in late July and was told we should plan on a December delivery. My SA called today to tell me Porsche delayed my build to April or May next year!
Delay in the building process can be caused by "exclusive " options. Does your build include unusual options?
I can also see delays if you request changes close to or even after the "fix" date.
It's less than satisfactory performance when an SA drops that info on you without an explanation. I'd ask for an explanation and include a comment or two about his/her performance.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:33 PM
abizarvakharia
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fuddman
Delay in the building process can be caused by "exclusive " options. Does your build include unusual options?
We did ask to have the lower section of the side view mirrors painted to match the car. I asked if we can remove that to accelerate and was told "no."

No other changes since the fix date.

He said, Porsche is prioritizing building C4S's versus C4. Which doesn't make much sense to me...
Old 10-29-2016, 10:34 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I read that you can do this with Porsche but it costs big bucks (to have some sort of film (print or video) of it being made. I can't recall where I read this - but I will do some research. It was more than $2000 for this - and I don't see the purpose at this price.

1000% agree. Should be them giving us an email on a weekly basis to touch base. One email per week at this price is not much work (it isn't much work at any price). Hell, the SA could have a secret home server. Apparently that's allowed.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by ddodds
Just curious here, have you paid for the car in full prior to delivery or merely placed a deposit on an order.
Usual is a deposit on signing of the order. Balance before Car is driven off. (or whatever lease arrangement).
Old 10-29-2016, 10:47 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Usual is a deposit on signing of the order. Balance before Car is driven off. (or whatever lease arrangement).
That's what I did. $1000 secured the build allocation, and they asked if I would mind increasing it to $5000 after the order locked. I told them that was fine and did so. They expect the balance at delivery.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by ace37
That's what I did. $1000 secured the build allocation, and they asked if I would mind increasing it to $5000 after the order locked. I told them that was fine and did so. They expect the balance at delivery.
I was asked for $5000 at the time I ordered it.

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!