Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:18 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
AFIAK the only alternatives are OEM, Bilstein B16 damptronics, Tractive DDA.

Its rumored that JRZ are building a PASM compatible shock, and KW have such a system (DDC) but I have not seen a 911 part available.
Larry,

You are mostly correct, except DSC is compatible with the entire damptronic range (comprising of B4, B6, B8, and B16 if I recall correctly). We typically recommend the B8, as we feel they are the best "value" damper to upgrade. The B16s do offer better performance, but for their price with camber plates (it would be ill-advised to upgrade to the B16s without upgrading the mounts/camber plates) they begin to approach the price of the Tractives, which are fare better in quality, durability, and performance.

JRZ have made some teaser announcements on an electronic shock - I believe the system will be different from PASM entirely in that it will just feature a g-sensor and allow for semi-active adjustments. The KW works similar to this I believe as well. The KW shocks aren't compatible with DSC (I'm not sure whether or not JRZs will be), because they are not designed to respond to the control signals DSC constantly sends to the damper. Again, at this point this is really all speculation at this point, as I' not too familiar with either of these systems.

Regarding 991 GT3, there are some DSC units for the GT3 out there (however, not as many as there are for Carreras, 981s, and GT4s). I believe I've seen some reviews from GT3 owners floating around the forums somewhere, but it certainly doesn't have the same presence in that community right now as our other communities.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Larry,

You are mostly correct, except DSC is compatible with the entire damptronic range (comprising of B4, B6, B8, and B16 if I recall correctly).
good to know...

We typically recommend the B8, as we feel they are the best "value" damper to upgrade. The B16s do offer better performance, but for their price with camber plates (it would be ill-advised to upgrade to the B16s without upgrading the mounts/camber plates) they begin to approach the price of the Tractives, which are fare better in quality, durability, and performance.
Wow - send me a set of Tractives!

JRZ have made some teaser announcements on an electronic shock - I believe the system will be different from PASM entirely in that it will just feature a g-sensor and allow for semi-active adjustments. The KW works similar to this I believe as well. The KW shocks aren't compatible with DSC (I'm not sure whether or not JRZs will be), because they are not designed to respond to the control signals DSC constantly sends to the damper. Again, at this point this is really all speculation at this point, as I' not too familiar with either of these systems.
me neither!

Regarding 991 GT3, there are some DSC units for the GT3 out there (however, not as many as there are for Carreras, 981s, and GT4s). I believe I've seen some reviews from GT3 owners floating around the forums somewhere, but it certainly doesn't have the same presence in that community right now as our other communities.
+1 not too mention the 997 GT3 community which love it!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly
worf928, good choice. just installed it on my 2013 991 Cab S and it sure seems to me that it has improved the around town handling quite a bit .... and running on sport for the suspension is much more comfortable but still firm...
Really, how so? Just picked up a 2013 C2S Cab and here in Houston, the ride isn't too bad in normal on our broken concrete roads. Sport is completely unusable unless you are out of town on asphalt roads.

Interested in some additional detailed observations. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Really, how so? Just picked up a 2013 C2S Cab and here in Houston, the ride isn't too bad in normal on our broken concrete roads. Sport is completely unusable unless you are out of town on asphalt roads.

Interested in some additional detailed observations. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Thanks!
The DSC maps for the 991 are generally less aggressive with the compression and rebound than the OEM PASM controller... so its softer in both normal and sport
Old 09-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

The DSC maps for the 991 are generally less aggressive with the compression and rebound than the OEM PASM controller... so its softer in both normal and sport
Interesting. But assuming that it still keeps the car feeling planted and firms up when you're hustling on.

Need to get more miles under my belt in town here but this may be a worthwhile mod to keep my sanity. Anyone who lives in Houston knows my pain...
Old 09-28-2016, 12:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Interesting. But assuming that it still keeps the car feeling planted and firms up when you're hustling on.

Need to get more miles under my belt in town here but this may be a worthwhile mod to keep my sanity. Anyone who lives in Houston knows my pain...
exactly
Old 09-28-2016, 07:46 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks!
PM sent
Old 10-25-2016, 09:22 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I purchased the DSC controller a couple of weeks ago. Here are my experiences: I changed out my OEM box at the track after completing two sessions. That left me with two sessions that would serve as a basis for my comparison between the two within the same day.. The track data was not conclusive and it took me a couple of sessions to relearn the car. The second day was quite a bit of a different story. There was a noticeable improvement from the OEM box. The car was more responsive, planted on turns and overall more stable. I came away from the track feeling that my suspension was improved via responsiveness. I felt that my $$ was spent wisely.

On the street, I noticed the greatest and most pleasant difference. Since I have SPASM, the shorter springs and thicker sway bars made street driving very unpleasant in the NYC area. The DSC box softened this up considerably in the normal mode and makes the car far more pleasant to drive. While I have no financial interest or otherwise in this company, I would recommend without hesitation. It is a very cost effective mod that has residual value should I decide to move from Porsche.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default DSC SEMA announcement...

http://www.dscsport.com/2016/10/24/d...ke-sema-debut/

Wifi access is huge!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Is wifi access available now with the units being shipped? Do not see any info on wifi on the website except for the Sema splash
Old 10-26-2016, 04:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Is wifi access available now with the units being shipped? Do not see any info on wifi on the website except for the Sema splash
***I'm totally guessing here***

I do not believe that the v2 h/w has Wifi onboard, (but I may be wrong), my guess is that its *probably* a f/w change enabling a USB wifi dongle to be
supported on the V2's USB port ... along with smartphone apps (eventually)
to replace the (windows) desktop app...
Old 10-27-2016, 06:48 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Christmas is just around the next corner.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

***I'm totally guessing here***

I do not believe that the v2 h/w has Wifi onboard, (but I may be wrong), my guess is that its *probably* a f/w change enabling a USB wifi dongle to be
supported on the V2's USB port ... along with smartphone apps (eventually)
to replace the (windows) desktop app...
A dongle makes sense - an easy solution that would be able to be applied to inventoried and already sold units with a minimum of fanfare
Old 10-27-2016, 09:43 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I purchased the DSC controller a couple of weeks ago. Here are my experiences: I changed out my OEM box at the track after completing two sessions. That left me with two sessions that would serve as a basis for my comparison between the two within the same day.. The track data was not conclusive and it took me a couple of sessions to relearn the car. The second day was quite a bit of a different story. There was a noticeable improvement from the OEM box. The car was more responsive, planted on turns and overall more stable. I came away from the track feeling that my suspension was improved via responsiveness. I felt that my $$ was spent wisely.

On the street, I noticed the greatest and most pleasant difference. Since I have SPASM, the shorter springs and thicker sway bars made street driving very unpleasant in the NYC area. The DSC box softened this up considerably in the normal mode and makes the car far more pleasant to drive. While I have no financial interest or otherwise in this company, I would recommend without hesitation. It is a very cost effective mod that has residual value should I decide to move from Porsche.
Guessing you meant to write DSC box?

Edit... I get it now, the improvement was noticeable going from OEM to DSC. Written in shorthand.... my bad. Never mind!
Old 10-28-2016, 02:14 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

What is this and why do I need it again? Have heard it whispered on the forum but have no idea if it needs to make it on my mod list. Anybody??

Quick Reply: Reserve your 991 DSC module