Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reserve your 991 DSC module

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:46 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Have anybody installed DSC in a 991.2 Base Carrera ?

In my 991.2 I don't use normal suspension mode since the car feels like it's floating and I just don't feel safe when I'm driving at higher speeds. Because of that, my suspension is always at sport mode.

I would like to have a softer setting but still have that "totally in control feeling" that I'm lacking today with the normal suspension mode.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
The short answer is "yes"; understand that PASM-S is simply a more aggressive spring and ARB/sway bar package for PASM, AFIAK a PASM-S car has the
same dampers/shocks and PASM controller as a PASM equipped car.

PASM dynamically adjusts the dampers valving in order to change its compression and rebound, DSC takes the adjustment of that to a higher,
and customizable, level... allowing it to do things such as, stiffen the
compression of the front shocks when the car brakes, thus reducing nose
dive, or stiffening the 'outer' shocks when a car is cornering, thus reducing
roll to the outside of the corner (as PDCC does by hydraulic adjustment
of the the ARB/sway bar linkage)...

in short, PASM, and DSC makes the response of your suspension adjust
to the road conditions and dynamics of the car.

If you drive your car like a soccer mom in a minivan then you probably
wont benefit from DSC, but if you drive your car at all spirited, then you
will notice an improvement in its responses...

Also note, especially for PASM-S, cars, with a higher spring rate than PASM,
if you find your "normal" street experience unsatisfactory due to the
stiffness of the suspension, DSC can reduce the aggressiveness of the
effective spring rate of the car to make your daily ride smoother so your
(mr my) latte does not spill!
Great info! Thanks.

Anyone planning to install this in the 991.2 GTS w/ SPASM?
I did not order PDCC and wondering if this is potential solution to make up for not having PDCC.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:54 PM
APristi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried to update their firmware ? Thinking if i should update it if it would make a lot of difference, always have this fear of bricking equipment when updating firware

Last edited by APristi; 10-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I finally got a DSC V2 Controller and installed it. They had been out of stock for some time, but are back in stock and mine arrived very soon after ordering it. Installation as noted in the videos and others' comments was pretty easy. The most difficult part was removing the larger of the two harness clips. It was really tight on my car. But knowing that it *would* come out eventually, based on others' reports, helped immensely. Once out, it literally was a snap to install the DSC, as the connectors easily slide in and locked. The wiring harness is pretty tight and doesn't "give" much. You will need to be rather forceful to pull the OEM unit out enough to be able to gain sufficient grip and leverage to slide the clips off, but don't pull so hard that you break any of the wires or their connections.

If you are at all in tune with how your car rides and handles, you will immediately notice the difference, even when driving moderately. The DSC map gives the shocks greater range, at least on the soft end, where it produces a noticeably better ride than stock, and you will find that on bumpy roads, the car is more compliant and the tires stay better in contact with the road surface. I don't know if the shocks are stiffer on the stiff end, but the dynamic adjustment really works to make the car handle better. There is noticeably less dive and squat on acceleration, and cornering is flatter, almost like having PDCC (which my car, at 991.1tt, doesn't have).

For a variety of reasons, I'm not keen on an engine software tune (and we only have 91 octane fuel here anyway), but the increase in chassis capability is something every car with PASM could benefit from. My only regret is that I didn't get this unit sooner.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Have anybody installed DSC in a 991.2 Base Carrera ?

In my 991.2 I don't use normal suspension mode since the car feels like it's floating and I just don't feel safe when I'm driving at higher speeds. Because of that, my suspension is always at sport mode.

I would like to have a softer setting but still have that "totally in control feeling" that I'm lacking today with the normal suspension mode.
The DSC module allows you to change the calibration of the dampers in both the Normal and Sport modes. You can easily adjust the standard mode's map to be stiffer than the OEM calibration, then stiffen up the Sport mode map even more than it is so you still notice a difference when you press the button.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Great info! Thanks.

I did not order PDCC and wondering if this is potential solution to make up for not having PDCC.
Also appreciate the info Larry...its on my list of Spring upgrades for my 2013 991.1S.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:47 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Great info! Thanks.

I've got it in my .2 GTS with sport PASM... though I kinda went the full beans with the Tractive DDA coilovers as well. The setup has more damping range (full soft is softer than OEM, full hard is harder than OEM) but even with the OEM hardware you'll notice a difference. There's very, very little body roll and the car feels a lot more urgent when loading up the corners.

I've been able to play with the shock calibration to give a firmer (yet more compliant) ride than OEM with the dampers in normal mode with sport mode being fairly stiff and lively.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:46 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Any Black Friday deals by any chance?
Old 11-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Great info! Thanks.

I’ve not driven a car with PDCC. My car also did not have that option, and it’s the only one I feel I miss.

Based on the comments by many, and my own experience with how the DSC module affected my car, though, I think that the effect must be pretty similar to PDCC. In fact, it’s better in some ways, because it helps the car reduce dive and squat, which remain unaffected with PDCC. The DSC is way more cost effective than trying to retrofit PDCC, or sell my car to buy another with that option. If you at all feel regret for not having PDCC, I highly recommend you get the DSC Sport module.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:49 PM
be_cuey
Instructor

I accidentally bought a DSC for a 991.2 instead of a 991.1 if anyone wants to trade...
Old 11-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by be_cuey
I accidentally bought a DSC for a 991.2 instead of a 991.1 if anyone wants to trade...
Aren’t they the same? I didn’t see any differentiation on the website.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

return it?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 PM
be_cuey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Need4S
Aren’t they the same? I didn’t see any differentiation on the website.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9679...2-support.html

Also I bought it second hand so returning it will be a problem..
Old 11-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9679...2-support.html

Also I bought it second hand so returning it will be a problem..
The link says the difference is only firmware/software. Call DSC Sport and ask if you can re-flash it.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 AM
rcusick
Intermediate

If it helps anyone... I was having issues with dsc and traction control conflicting on. My 2015c2s. I set minimum shock stiffness to 20% and 80% for normal and sport chassis modes respectively. Immediate improvement. Product is awesome.

Quick Reply: Reserve your 991 DSC module