Sponsored by:

Club Coupe - I got the call...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:34 PM
turtleracing
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default ditto

Agree, I have let a 993 S possibility go. This has been a surprising result, rounds that seem ad infinitum. I thought it was win or lose by mid March.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I got the e-mail yesterday and accepted today! One of my good friends received his allocation a few weeks ago, but is giving his allocation back - so there is hope for those still waiting!!! His dealer was not willing to negotiate at all on price, so he walked away. The car will be nice, but Porsche has not been very clear on what options will, or will not be offered. I hope that I will still be able to customize mine the way I want it. We will see. . .
Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark FM
I got the e-mail yesterday and accepted today! One of my good friends received his allocation a few weeks ago, but is giving his allocation back - so there is hope for those still waiting!!! His dealer was not willing to negotiate at all on price, so he walked away. The car will be nice, but Porsche has not been very clear on what options will, or will not be offered. I hope that I will still be able to customize mine the way I want it. We will see. . .
Congrats!!!

Last edited by JAM2; 04-22-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 AM
dbrsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedshooter
Still lurking and deflated but just waiting for it to officially end so I can finally move on as with each round that goes by get less interested.
Call it sour grapes if you will, but for me too the thrill is gone. A light bulb went off for me today. I had no interest whatsoever in a 991 until I got caught up in the hype of this lottery. I now realize that for me it has been more about the lottery than the car. And now even the lottery has become quite tiring and stale. If I could have walked into a dealership and placed an order for the CC I don't think I would have done it. The only thing that would have made me think twice would have been the color, but we now know the color will soon be available to everyone as a PTS option. And the CC will depreciate steeply like every other 991. I am sticking with my 993's, which are more true to everything the Porsche 911 is all about (and are done depreciating to boot). PCA can save a dime and skip the call to me next week. I have already won the lottery by saving the $150K I would have spent if I had been called in an early round.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrsfo
Call it sour grapes if you will, but for me too the thrill is gone. A light bulb went off for me today. I had no interest whatsoever in a 991 until I got caught up in the hype of this lottery. I now realize that for me it has been more about the lottery than the car. And now even the lottery has become quite tiring and stale. If I could have walked into a dealership and placed an order for the CC I don't think I would have done it. The only thing that would have made me think twice would have been the color, but we now know the color will soon be available to everyone as a PTS option. And the CC will depreciate steeply like every other 991. I am sticking with my 993's, which are more true to everything the Porsche 911 is all about (and are done depreciating to boot). PCA can save a dime and skip the call to me next week. I have already won the lottery by saving the $150K I would have spent if I had been called in an early round.
+1

I suspect many feel the same way.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:46 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark FM
Yes, congrats!

With respect to options choices, I've not heard Porsche AG say that any options available on the GTS aren't available to spec on the Club Coupe.

There was initially speculation on this thread and misunderstanding based on the list of options chosen for car #1. I'll feel a little relieved when I have the final build spec and pricing confirmed for my car, but based on my experience so far I see no reason to believe that the options I've chosen won't be allowed.

Too bad about your friend's selling dealer.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrsfo
Had a similar lightbulb......
Old 04-22-2015, 11:23 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Msmatt
Had a similar lightbulb......
Add me to this list. My scheduled delivery is not until October which eliminates use until late spring 2016. I'm struggling with paying a $10K premium for something that has very few unique attributes, including color, as has been discussed over and over in this thread. There has been too much time to think about the logic of this $150K+ purchase and as we learn more, it is becoming clear that the special attributes are in fact not that special. For those that were going to buy a GTS anyway, it is an ok deal.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:30 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

this car makes no sense if it is to be a daily driver...it should be part of a Porsche nuts collection and saved for special weekends, fun runs with buddies, gatherings, etc.......it only makes sense as a DD if the buyer was gonna check off every option on a regular GTS coupe anyway, which can easily get to that 140-150 range ...heck, I've seen RWD Carrera S coupes spec'd by dealers in that range - even without the powerkit -they sat forever , for obvious reasons !
Old 04-22-2015, 11:44 AM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Update

Hi all,

Thought I'd provide a quick update for those that are still interested. We'll most likely have a few left to raffle off after today (a few more hours before deadline.) Since the number available is much smaller and manageable, I'll be calling the next round of folks later this afternoon with a deadline that falls on Friday.

A few of you noted above that folks may be losing interest, but I have a long list of folks that are ready to write a check immediately. That said, I can only call as many people as we have cars left and wait the 48 hours before moving on.

Per this quote above "I had no interest whatsoever in a 991 until I got caught up in the hype of this lottery. I now realize that for me it has been more about the lottery than the car.", I think that's the major reason why folks aren't able to confirm the car. Those that were serious about wanting the car in the first place confirm their order just about immediately.

Again, it's all in good fun to celebrate our 60th.

Cheers and good luck,
Vu
Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a quick timeout to give kudos to all who have participated in this long thread. The discussions have been very constructive, albeit sometimes with very differing opinions. It could have easily turned into a bash session between those "with" and those "without". Fortunately, other than the age old PDK vs. Manual opinions, it has been a positive thread with everyone just trying be more informed. It has been a long process with most members just trying to justify the purchase if selected and others hoping to be on the list. A lot of information has been gathered and shared, including some questions that remain unanswered. My goal was to find a way to justify the purchase, and I now feel better informed to make a rational decision. While the perceived exclusivity has been shown to be less than originally thought, the CC remains a great car for many members. Those who move forward will be happy as will those who do not. All the best.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:19 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Just a quick timeout to give kudos to all who have participated in this long thread. The discussions have been very constructive, albeit sometimes with very differing opinions. It could have easily turned into a bash session between those "with" and those "without". Fortunately, other than the age old PDK vs. Manual opinions, it has been a positive thread with everyone just trying be more informed. It has been a long process with most members just trying to justify the purchase if selected and others hoping to be on the list. A lot of information has been gathered and shared, including some questions that remain unanswered. My goal was to find a way to justify the purchase, and I now feel better informed to make a rational decision. While the perceived exclusivity has been shown to be less than originally thought, the CC remains a great car for many members. Those who move forward will be happy as will those who do not. All the best.
Well said Mike.

I know my personal journey with the car has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster and an internal head and heart battle. I think I'm largely on the other side of the battle and very much looking forward to seeing and driving my car for the first time.

I wasn't in the market for a new car of any kind, let alone a brand new $150k Porsche (sorry if this is repetitive). I've played with the idea of buying a 991 GT3 or a Turbo S over the last couple of years and when the CC was introduced, my first thought was, "great color, but I think I'd rather have a GT3 for that $$." And then I got the call, slept on it for a night, and woke up realizing that to fill the gap in my garage I'd be shopping for a 991 GTS.

So, yeah, it makes sense for me. The GTS with options I want prices out at around $140k without PTS, so it's in the ballpark. Hopefully it doesn't follow a normal depreciation curve, but if it does, so be it. I'm buying it to keep and enjoy for many, many years. If it holds its value, great. Either way, I'm looking forward to this being a helluva 50th b-day present to myself.

To those who are "over" the process, I can imagine your emotional roller coaster. As Vu said (paraphrasing here), it's meant to be a fun thing to commemorate the 60th anniversary of PCA, not a way to torture hopeful buyers. When the 50th anniversary car was announced, I entered that drawing and felt certain in my bones that I'd be selected to buy one of them. Rather than thinking it was a huge long-shot and not surprising that my number wasn't called, I was kind of crushed (heart vs. head again). I guess my intuition was just wrong by a decade.

Best of luck to those who are still hoping to have the chance to buy one!
Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am sure all those who purchased the CC will be very happy. Just slightly off-topic. I wonder which car will hold it's value better.....the CC or the 50th anniversary model. Time will tell.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:25 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I am sure all those who purchased the CC will be very happy. Just slightly off-topic. I wonder which car will hold it's value better.....the CC or the 50th anniversary model. Time will tell.
Makes no difference . Unless one is buying cars like late 50s Testarossas or early 60s GTOs with pocket change , it is pissing in the wind .

Some who bought a Ferrari Challenge Stradale brand new for
$ 220,000 incl tax in early 2004 are excited that their cars have appreciated from a low of $ 130,000 a few yrs ago back close to its orig MSRP if it is a low mileage one vs , say , an identically priced MBZ S65 bought back then being worth $20,000 today . Woo hoo...right ?

Well that $220,000 invested in Apple stock in early 2004 would be worth TEN MILLION DOLLARS today .
That is real " woo hoo " !
Old 04-22-2015, 09:56 PM
Straydds
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to thank everyone for their comments on this thread. I got the call the first day and honestly never expected to actually have the oppertunity to purchase one. This thread helped me not only decide to buy it, but also helped me decide how to spec it out. Sent in my final specs today for the first build and i can hardly wait until it gets here. Before i was directed to this thread i had never heard of rennlist and couldn't be happier to have found you all as well. Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Club Coupe - I got the call...