Sponsored by:

Club Coupe - I got the call...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:12 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
^^^ I'm still liking the first design. It's the cleanest.

PCA as the first three letters was a given for me. But then what? 6O seems like the next characters.
Thx! I agree. Let's see if it is still available in January...
Old 05-02-2015, 12:16 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
The fact that over a thousand PCA members "said" they wanted a chance to buy one of these cars, and then a few changed their minds when picked, seems as expected.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm curious on how you think this process could have been better handled.
I think go to a larger sample to get a better expression of interest. Ideally the odds work out. And if they don't, then redraw from the group that's serious about buying but still too large. Maybe also pick 20% more as backups and remember in what order you picked them. There are your winners.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:19 AM
dhud
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Leader. The process is fair and random by design to avoid bias. It's also limited, as a gift, to PCA members only. I think this is more of a reflection on the subgroup that signed up than on PCA or the car. Open this up to the general public and this car will be gone so fast you'll think it's a 918 with launch control. Congratulations to those who were chosen and enjoy in good health. Don't allow anyone to steal your joy. For those still hoping, one poster said it best, your number may be next. I hope those who put their name on the list in earlier threads all get chosen.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:13 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhud
I agree with Leader. The process is fair and random by design to avoid bias. It's also limited, as a gift, to PCA members only. I think this is more of a reflection on the subgroup that signed up than on PCA or the car. Open this up to the general public and this car will be gone so fast you'll think it's a 918 with launch control. Congratulations to those who were chosen and enjoy in good health. Don't allow anyone to steal your joy. For those still hoping, one poster said it best, your number may be next. I hope those who put their name on the list in earlier threads all get chosen.
Quite.

I think that fairness could have been preserved and the timeline expedited. I bet there are other process consultants in the membership. But I'd have bet that the acceptance rate would have been better.

In any event, I'm awfully excited at the prospect of driving mine!
Old 05-02-2015, 01:15 AM
dbrsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact that over a thousand PCA members "said" they wanted a chance to buy one of these cars, and then a few changed their minds when picked, seems as expected.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm curious on how you think this process could have been better handled.
The process would have gone more smoothly if a modest earnest money deposit were required in order to enter the lottery - in the order of $2500. If that had been done, even if on a refundable basis, I bet only one round, or two at the most, would have been required to sell all the cars. Sure, PCA would have had to administer the return of the deposits for those not chosen, but not a major undertaking by any means.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:33 AM
dbrsfo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I'd love to know what you find out. If that's required (register to a car within 30 days), I could register them to my BMW (and let it be nonsensical for a few months) and then move them to the CC when it get it. But that would be a bit of a PITA.
I have obtained about two dozen personalized plates (also called special interest plates) in CA over the years, and my experience has been as follows: once the plate arrives at DMV, they send you a postcard and say you have 30 days to pick it up. Most offices will hold it beyond 30 days. I once picked up a plate that I had left at DMV over a year, because I did not find the corresponding car as quickly as I thought I would (once I know I am going to buy a collector car, I usually order a plate in advance of the purchase). In order to pick up the plate, you must have it assigned to a registered CA vehicle at the time you pick up the plate. They will not release the plate to you otherwise, even if you offer to pay the fee. So if you do not yet have the car that you want to put the plate on, the work around is to assign the plate to another of your cars. When the chosen car arrives, you can then transfer the plate to it (and even transfer back to the temporary plate holding car its original personalized plate that you have warehoused). I have done this many times. If you ever sell a car with a personalized plate, you can either keep the plate, or transfer it to the buyer of your car. If you keep the plate, you have to keep it active by paying an annual fee. If you do not pay the annual fee, DMV can reassign the plate to another person, but they never actually do. It stays in the system under your name and is never retired. This means you can use the plate on another of your cars, even years later, but in order to reactivate the plate, you need to pay all accrued unpaid annual fees up to date current.

Having said all of that, it appears I will not get my number called for the 60th CC, so if any of the California chosen would like the following plate, send me a PM, as I have this plate and can transfer it to you: "60th PCA"
Old 05-02-2015, 10:57 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrsfo
The process would have gone more smoothly if a modest earnest money deposit were required in order to enter the lottery - in the order of $2500. If that had been done, even if on a refundable basis, I bet only one round, or two at the most, would have been required to sell all the cars. Sure, PCA would have had to administer the return of the deposits for those not chosen, but not a major undertaking by any means.
I'm not participating in this process, but as I've watched it play out, I've thought the exact same thing. Even a $500 refundable deposit would have culled out those PCA members who were not really serious buyers. Instead, the process has become a bit of a circus. What was supposed to be a special car now has the appearance of a dog that no one wants. Too bad.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:13 AM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Despite being very cool sharing the purchase experience with the 55 folks who have purchased the CC thus far, nobody would like to see the raffle finalized more than me. PCA has a couple of other initiatives I need to tend to

I appreciate constructive comments to make the process better. Let me just share some perspective on the comments above:
I'm not participating in this process, but as I've watched it play out, I've thought the exact same thing. Even a $500 refundable deposit would have culled out those PCA members who were not really serious buyers. Instead, the process has become a bit of a circus. What was supposed to be a special car now has the appearance of a dog that no one wants. Too bad.
The process would have gone more smoothly if a modest earnest money deposit were required in order to enter the lottery - in the order of $2500. If that had been done, even if on a refundable basis
The point of this raffle is to be fun and inclusive of all members. It's not that no one wants the car, as I said earlier I have emails from folks ready to purchase that would have sold out the line up the first week.

The process is fair and random by design to avoid bias.
Thanks, that's the whole idea.

Maybe also pick 20% more as backups and remember in what order you picked them. There are your winners.
And what if everyone says yes? Would you like to make the call to the 20% you made an offer to, and now have to tell them they can't have one?

The CC 60th is turning into an embarrassment for PCA. They should thank their lucky stars that they didn't plan on making 600 of them.
Wait until you see what we have planned for the luck 60 owners. We've got even more in plan to make this opportunity even more special.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:29 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87turbolook911
And what if everyone says yes? Would you like to make the call to the 20% you made an offer to, and now have to tell them they can't have one?

Sorry - by bad - my thought was stated ambiguously. I meant pick a group of 59 and a contingency list, and then go in order down the contingency list if / as members in the initial group of 59 decline the offer.

It's effectively what you've done except with a pre-drawn backup group. And perhaps notify the people in the backup group that they're on the list so they can have thought about their decision if / when they're presented with the opportunity to buy.

I'm quite sure you're looking forward to having identified buyers for all 59 cars! I'm not criticizing the process - just responding to the question about process alternatives. Plus, it's not lost on me nor hopefully the rest of the membership that it's easy to be a genius with the benefit of hindsight.

Thanks for all of your effort on this and all the best.

Last edited by mathfuzzy; 05-02-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:46 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
sorry to go off topic, but when I got the postcard from the DMV to collect it stated something to the effect that it had to be registered to a car within 30 days or the plate would be returned to the pool.

I guess I might go and find out
officially it is 30 days to pick up and swap the new plate with another car you own or it is returned .... but in practice they hold it for more like 90 days , or from my personal experience of my local Redwood City ,Ca DMV office , as disorganized as they usually are, you may still find it in a holding bin a year later ...you cannot buy up a bunch of plates just to display on a wall until needed ....their online ordering website does not make that clear at all...the way it reads makes you think you can do that as long as you pay yearly renewal fee for each ..wrong !

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/initPers.do
Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 167 Posts

Are we done?
Have all the 59 CCs found willing buyers?
Old 05-06-2015, 07:05 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Are we done?
That, Mr. Leader, is a fine question. I'm guessing if not now, then quite soon.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:28 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Curious if winners have been notified by phone, email or both. I've received several emails from PCA that there is still hope but the phone's not ringing.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:06 PM
dbrsfo
Rennlist Member

Are we done?
It appears PCA has gone dark. The most recent email was last Friday, May 1st, saying there were 4 left and that there would be additional selections last week. But no updates on what happened. Would a friendly email on Wednesday letting us know what happened to the Monday selections been asking for too much? Or one on Friday letting us know what happened as a result of the weekly selection(s)? I get it that this is time consuming for PCA, but that is what they signed up for when they organized this (so poorly), and I see no excuse for its lack of consistency with its prior communications to the entrants. This process gets worse and worse. PCA should give up while it still has an iota of goodwill left with those who have been following this process, and convince PCNA to add the remaining unclaimed ones to the September give away at Rennsport. Now that would get us excited again.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 167 Posts

If you think YOU'RE unhappy, consider what might happen if the rules now suddenly changed. I predict a 100% chance of ****storms.

PCA should be communicating, though. Too busy is never a good excuse.

Quick Reply: Club Coupe - I got the call...