Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 11:48 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Any HFS experts care to share their opinion on this car?

2012 base 32k miles, clean carfax, priced at $61K from a Porsche dealership with balance of CPO through 10/2018. Car has the two-tone sport technos added, a poor quality clear bra, and flaking red calipers. Decent paint condition, not great.

$94,190.00
Exterior:
Agate Grey Metallic
Interior:
Black standard interior
Warranty Start:
October 20, 2012
Warranty End:
October 22, 2018
Additional Equipment
20-inch SportDesign wheel
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
7-speed Manual Transmission
Deletion of Model Designation
Power Steering Plus
Navigation Module
Black standard interior
Agate Grey Metallic
Power Sport Seats (14-way)
BOSE
Premium Package Plus
Old 10-06-2017, 11:49 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by HODY905
From my perspective HFS cars have to be selective: late model yrs, low mileage, decent amount of options and of course CPO when available. All the talk on here about ‘13 and ‘14 cars, they are now 4 and 5 model yrs old and as such the prices should be substantially depreciated and then some.
I disagree. A well priced, desirable car can be any age or mileage. If a 2012 C2S in great shape with 52,000 miles pops up for $53,000, then it would indeed be HFS material. These cars are absolutely bulletproof if taken care of. Not everyone is looking for a $90,000 2015 with 4,000 miles: some of us need daily drivers, some of us don't want to be stressed about that 1st rock chip, and would rather have a 9/10 car that has been driven and enjoyed, not a garage queen.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:50 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by HODY905
From my perspective HFS cars have to be selective: late model yrs, low mileage, decent amount of options and of course CPO when available. All the talk on here about €˜13 and €˜14 cars, they are now 4 and 5 model yrs old and as such the prices should be substantially depreciated and then some.
Should be, but aren’t. I often hardly see a difference between ‘12’-‘14 cars prices.

Market seems to favor builds above all. A good build, good color, good miles, etc. When a car has appreciated in 1-2 years and is hot enough to sell numerous solid examples extremely fast (quite a feat for 4-5 year old cars selling at such a price, in fact no other car achieves close to that), regular resale rules don’t apply. I don’t get why it’s so hard to grasp that the market is clearly preparing the 991.1’s to not follow traditional rules, being the last N/A Carreras and all.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:52 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911

Nice X51 manual C4S, MSRP $165!

What a terrible ad. He barely mentions the powerkit, and the first sentence; where did he come up with this? "A/C ice cold, All records, Always garaged and covered, Excellent condition, Factory GPS system, Fully loaded with all the goodies, Looks & drives great, Mostly highway miles, Must see, Never seen snow, No accidents, Non-smoker, Seats like new, Still under factory warranty, Upgraded sound system, Very clean interior, Well maintained"

I definitely looked at the ad and wondered if the AC was ice cold, or if it was fully loaded with all the goodies.....even better that it has the (standard) factory GPS system!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:01 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Any HFS experts care to share their opinion on this car?

2012 base 32k miles, clean carfax, priced at $61K from a Porsche dealership with balance of CPO through 10/2018. Car has the two-tone sport technos added, a poor quality clear bra, and flaking red calipers. Decent paint condition, not great.

$94,190.00
Exterior:
Agate Grey Metallic
Interior:
Black standard interior
Warranty Start:
October 20, 2012
Warranty End:
October 22, 2018
Additional Equipment
20-inch SportDesign wheel
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
7-speed Manual Transmission
Deletion of Model Designation
Power Steering Plus
Navigation Module
Black standard interior
Agate Grey Metallic
Power Sport Seats (14-way)
BOSE
Premium Package Plus
It has PASM and 7MT, so that is a huge plus. I haven't seen a CPO 991 go for under $60k in about a year. Wouldn't paint coming off the calipers be CPO'd? The clear bra can always be removed; it shouldn't hurt the paint unless there was a respray underneath. How is the paint bad? Does it just need a paint correction and some elbow grease? Or does it have major issues?

A great deal would be $55k, bet you could get it for at most high 50's due to the issues. I almost bought a similar car last year: CPO, 27k miles, similar 7MT 2012 build, for $62,500, but it had some sketchy cheap aftermarket wheels. I wanted them to put OEM wheels (or give me $2k so I could buy a used set) and they refused; they ended up selling the car at wholesale for $53k, which made no sense.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:03 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by K-A
Should be, but aren’t. I often hardly see a difference between ‘12’-‘14 cars prices.

Market seems to favor builds above all. A good build, good color, good miles, etc. When a car has appreciated in 1-2 years and is hot enough to sell numerous solid examples extremely fast (quite a feat for 4-5 year old cars selling at such a price, in fact no other car achieves close to that), regular resale rules don’t apply. I don’t get why it’s so hard to grasp that the market is clearly preparing the 991.1’s to not follow traditional rules, being the last N/A Carreras and all.
Yeah, just look at 997 C2S manuals selling in the mid to high 60's. Nobody would have predicted that 3 years ago either. The way the market is trending, neither will lose much value anytime in the near future.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:17 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Yeah, just look at 997 C2S manuals selling in the mid to high 60's. Nobody would have predicted that 3 years ago either. The way the market is trending, neither will lose much value anytime in the near future.
I agree. Late model 997’s seem to be holding well too. Late model N/A 911’s are very uniquely placed cars going forward on the used market. The sooner buyers can accept that, the less of a strenuous headache the chase will be. I know from experience.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree that 997.2 (and even 997.1) cars are priced amazingly high.

However, I do not see those very high priced 997 c2s actually sell (disappear from sales sites). Among other factors, the 997 buyers seem to value AWD very high. 997.2 C4S is expensive and sells.

997.2 GTS asking prices have gone through the roof, but they are sitting right now. I didn't even see that dark metallic blue one sell.

I have observed the market long enough now that the price increase for 991 cars is very evident, many I have seen in the beginning are popping up again. Under same sales conditions pretty much always at a higher asking price.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:52 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2013 Porsche Carrera 991 S Cabriolet
$84k BIN on ebay
one owner with 10800 miles
clean car fax and no lease history

WP0CB2A96DS156960

great build:
Amaranth Red Metallic Paint
Black Leather Interior
Multi-function steering wheel
Power Steering plus
Sports Chrono Package
Park Assist (Front and Rear)
Porsche Dynamic Light System
20-inch Carrera Classic Wheels
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Sprite Exhaust System
Prem. Pkg Plus w/ 18 way seats
BOSE Audio Package
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
Porsche Crest on headrests
Invisible Bra
LoJack system
Custom Porsche Cover

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Porsche...19.m1438.l2649

Old 10-06-2017, 02:15 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
It has PASM and 7MT, so that is a huge plus. I haven't seen a CPO 991 go for under $60k in about a year. Wouldn't paint coming off the calipers be CPO'd? The clear bra can always be removed; it shouldn't hurt the paint unless there was a respray underneath. How is the paint bad? Does it just need a paint correction and some elbow grease? Or does it have major issues?

A great deal would be $55k, bet you could get it for at most high 50's due to the issues. I almost bought a similar car last year: CPO, 27k miles, similar 7MT 2012 build, for $62,500, but it had some sketchy cheap aftermarket wheels. I wanted them to put OEM wheels (or give me $2k so I could buy a used set) and they refused; they ended up selling the car at wholesale for $53k, which made no sense.
Thanks for your input. To clarify, the CPO expires in a year, so I don't feel its as valuable as if it currently underwent CPO for two more years of coverage.

As a base model, the calipers came unfinished and the PO had them painted red. Therefore, the dealership's stance is that it will sell fine as is, since it is just a cosmetic issue.

Paint just needs some minor paint correction, no significant flaws.

Clear bra I see as a minor benefit despite not being in the best shape. The salesman said they will likely take it off unless I want it to stay.

I was targeting $58,500 but they won't budge below $61,000. Because it will require some work after I take ownership, I'm not willing to come up to that. If it were flawless, I would have driven it home last night...then again their price would have been at least a couple grand higher.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:48 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by squid42
I agree that 997.2 (and even 997.1) cars are priced amazingly high.

However, I do not see those very high priced 997 c2s actually sell (disappear from sales sites). Among other factors, the 997 buyers seem to value AWD very high. 997.2 C4S is expensive and sells.

997.2 GTS asking prices have gone through the roof, but they are sitting right now. I didn't even see that dark metallic blue one sell.

I have observed the market long enough now that the price increase for 991 cars is very evident, many I have seen in the beginning are popping up again. Under same sales conditions pretty much always at a higher asking price.
Except for the 997 GTS manual that Porsche St. Louis had in Aqua Blue. People actually got into a bidding war on it, they raised the price, sold for $77k, and it wasn't even stock! Why anyone would pay $85k for a 997GTS is beyond me however. Get a damn turbo!

It seems like 997 prices have bumped a few % since last year, same as 991 prices. I don't expect them to continue to climb; if the economy sours, I would expect them to settle lower again, but who knows. I know the economy is good, but the pool of buyers who are willing to buy a 5-8 year old car, often a 3rd car too, at $50-80k isn't all that large. People will drop $75k on a new SUV all day long in comparison.

Somewhat related: I was speaking with a gentleman who works at the DMV the other day, and he is also a car enthusiast. He said that he personally has taken almost no registrations on sports cars over the past year. He used to register several 911's each summer. When driving around,911's in particular used to be everywhere locally; now you barely see them, and the local dealership is 95% Cayenne/Macan. It does seem like there is a general trend away from sports car enthusiasm where I live. Whether this will spread to other areas, I don't know, as we live in the mountains with a short driving season. People here can afford 911's, but they would rather buy a tricked out Sprinter Winnebago View and load it with $25,000 of mountain bikes and kayaks with their $130,000, instead of buying a sports car.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:53 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Thanks for your input. To clarify, the CPO expires in a year, so I don't feel its as valuable as if it currently underwent CPO for two more years of coverage.

As a base model, the calipers came unfinished and the PO had them painted red. Therefore, the dealership's stance is that it will sell fine as is, since it is just a cosmetic issue.

Paint just needs some minor paint correction, no significant flaws.

Clear bra I see as a minor benefit despite not being in the best shape. The salesman said they will likely take it off unless I want it to stay.

I was targeting $58,500 but they won't budge below $61,000. Because it will require some work after I take ownership, I'm not willing to come up to that. If it were flawless, I would have driven it home last night...then again their price would have been at least a couple grand higher.
Hang out, perhaps they will drop the price at some point. Manual base carreras don't have a huge following, and perhaps you can score it for a good price in a couple of months. Or, keep looking. 2012 is a year you can get lucky on. I have seen dealers who know little about Porsche, and took the car on trade, pricing 991's as if they were 997's. I saw a Ford dealer do this with a C2S, they had it listed for $64,000 with 10,000 miles, and it was a $122k build. I was in the process of snapping it up when the GM sold it to a Porsche dealer a few hundred miles away. He was amazed that they were willing to pay "retail" for the car. Boy, did the guy who traded it in get hosed on the trade! I have seen a few pop up here and there at Ford dealers, as people are trading them on Shelby 350 R models.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

That 14 4S with the power kit is very nice and well optioned. It is a private sale with no CPO so price is high considering there are some 2015 GTSs out there for not a heck of a lot more.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:27 PM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Looks like Braman dropped the price on this beautiful GTS. It was 105 yesterday.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Do you think this got "flooded"? I'm in the market for one but scared to even look in the direction of Florida.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:55 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 9~factor
Do you think this got "flooded"? I'm in the market for one but scared to even look in the direction of Florida.
I doubt it because I've been watching it for a while and the ad has been there before the hurricane hit.

Wow, the price dropped again!! From 99K to 92,981 now! They must be really desperate to sell it.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991