Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by KWP1911
Thoughts against a sunroof by Edmunds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s5-rNJL4p4
I would never suggest that a sunroof is a replacement for a Targa, of course - I only brought it up because Targa prices right now seemed to be more than what the OP wanted to pay.

As far as the comments in the video...

He burns a lot - wahhhh, wear a hat. You can also have a sunroof open later or earlier in the day LOL.

Adds 40-50 lbs....BS. It's not that much weight. Maybe half that. There have been other threads on this. From another thread: "The glass roof weighs 23lbs, the steel roof weighs 17 lbs."

More stuff that can go wrong - BS. I have owned two 991S's with sunroofs (steel and glass) and never had a single failure.

Not mentioned: creaks and rattles. Some may have had them but neither sunroof in my 991S's rattled or creaked.

Headroom has never been an issue for me. YMMV.

Now for the real downsides:

The actual opening size for steel or glass is not much more than half of the cutout in the roof. So you don't get nearly as much sky as you would think you would. The up and out styling makes for a slick package when it is closed but when it is open it can sometimes look goofy, like a panel just sitting on top of your roof.

Others will argue about the resale advantage of a sunroof. That never bothered me one way or another, just something I don't worry about.

Advantages - when the weather is nice, putting down the side windows and opening the sunroof, listening to my 3.8 liter w/ powerkit through the PSE...just fantastic. I'm normally not a sunroof guy - I never open the sunroofs in my other cars - but on a nice day, I am opening that puppy up and listening to that beautiful flat six sound!

Old 06-14-2017, 11:40 AM
mchu168
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This one looks to tick most of the boxes for me.

https://porscheatlantaperimeter.com/...+White+1273279

Given the inflated prices, etc, I would like to get this around $105k... what do you guys think?

I'm new to Porsche and am a little tentative to purchase such an expensive car sight unseen. How do most people "kick the tires" before a long-distance purchase? I'd be willing to pay a professional service to inspect the car, if such a thing exists.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2017, 12:29 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Out of curiosity, have you guys noticed pressure on the 981 market? I bought my first Porsche, a 981S with a 6-speed, SC/PSE/PASM last year. Reading the 991/991 GT3 forum has made me constantly think about my 981's value.
I mentioned that in another inactive phase of this thread a couple of pages back. It is likely that I end up in a 981 gts instead of a 991 at this point.

The 981 GTS have the right age, just as the 991 GTS, to have eroded their prices in the recently few months. Simply more supply. I also speculate that the buy-out of the cheap 991 cars might have led to a decrease in demand for similar priced high-end 981 cars.

I find that non-GTS 981 cars are a bit cheaper than GTS (naturally), but overpriced for what they offer. Especially if you take equipment into account, specifically full leather (or alcantara).

The base 981 prices seem to be held up by people's desire to get into a Porsche with the post-IMSB engines. Everything 2009+ has an odd pattern of basic cars being relatively expensive and the cool stuff being not too much more expensive. I explain that with people having rather strict budgets, want a post-IMSB Porsche and restrict themselves to the basic ones, elevating demand for those price ranges. Prices for 987.2 and 997.2 are further elevated due to rarity caused by low production number due to the economy crisis. If you can go past that price range into the cool 981 cars you get a good deal, as a buyer.

As a seller it seems that it would be a great time to upgrade from a medium 981 to a higher end one, if the current car is perceived not enough.

Also, I had too much coffee and I am typing way too fast this morning.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:37 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mchu168

Given the inflated prices, etc, I would like to get this around $105k... what do you guys think?

I'm new to Porsche and am a little tentative to purchase such an expensive car sight unseen. How do most people "kick the tires" before a long-distance purchase? I'd be willing to pay a professional service to inspect the car, if such a thing exists.

Thanks!
Can't post buildsheet right now, but I think this is actually overpriced, GTS or not. MSRP was only $131,680.00. 2.5 years and rather normal miles for the age. No aero kit. Has sunroof and pdk, so doesn't play to the hardcore.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:56 PM
jakeg
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks!
FYI, there is a pretty one at Porsche North Houston.
https://www.porscheofnorthhouston.co...AB2A91FS125951

Let me know if it tickles you, I've driven it, its very nice, but didnt nitpick it, but would be happy to help! No affiliation, BTW, but been in your shoes plenty of times..
Old 06-14-2017, 02:03 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeg

Here are the criteria-

Great to have-
If the exterior color is a light color, then the glass sunroof just does it for me!
Sport Techno wheels
Let me know what y'all see! Thanks in advance!
I have a set of perfect Sport Techno wheels, so if you find something without and and want a set let me know...
Old 06-14-2017, 02:06 PM
mchu168
Intermediate

Let me know if it tickles you, I've driven it, its very nice, but didnt nitpick it, but would be happy to help! No affiliation, BTW, but been in your shoes plenty of times..
Many thanks for the offer! I might take you up on it if I'm close to pulling the trigger.

I also saw that one... my only nitpick was the steering wheel, which I know can be replaced. It's also slightly closer to the SF Bay area so shipping might be a tad less.

I'll probably reach out to the dealers and see if I can learn more about the cars.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:11 PM
jakeg
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smbryan
I have a set of perfect Sport Techno wheels, so if you find something without and and want a set let me know...
Awesome, thanks!!
pm'd you so we can take it offline.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 PM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks!
Getting a lower mileage GTS for 105k at a dealer may be a stretch. You never can predict what an offer will bring, but you can definitely get a similar car in the price range if you're patient and will travel. I'd be suprised if they came that far off, but never hurts to try. The good thing is that a 2015 gts will have warranty left so you have more flexibility if the warranty is a big issue for you. There's a pretty big selection for sale out there, you just have to be patient as leases are beginning to mature on that model.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:52 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dd356
Getting a lower mileage GTS for 105k at a dealer may be a stretch. You never can predict what an offer will bring, but you can definitely get a similar car in the price ranI'ge if you're patient and will travel. I'd be suprised if they came that far off, but never hurts to try. The good thing is that a 2015 gts will have warranty left so you have more flexibility if the warranty is a big issue for you. There's a pretty big selection for sale out there, you just have to be patient as leases are beginning to mature on that model.
My guestimate is that 110K is a deal on that car with CPO. At 110 it would likely be the cheapest CPO with those miles in the country. Also - likely you would get some tickets to PEC sometime after buying a car like that.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:28 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Thanks!
Looks like tires and more have already been kicked

CarFax accident history no extra charge There's an easy $10K HIT to resale

Attachment 1175563

Attachment 1175562

Attachment 1175564

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AB2A9XFS124667

WP0AB2A9XFS124667
Old 06-14-2017, 04:15 PM
thought
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Attachment 1175563

Attachment 1175562

Attachment 1175564

WP0AB2A9XFS124667
I'm guessing they lifted

Surprised that you can have light damage when hitting a parked car with the rear of your car.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by thought
I'm guessing they lifted

Surprised that you can have light damage when hitting a parked car with the rear of your car.
Should have kept the rear wing up!
Old 06-14-2017, 05:02 PM
mchu168
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STG

WP0AB2A9XFS124667
So you mean I should offer $95k?

Actually maybe I'll pass. Minor damage that required a tow seems pretty major to me...
Old 06-14-2017, 05:23 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 404 Posts

So you mean I should offer $95k?

Actually maybe I'll pass. Minor damage that required a tow seems pretty major to me...

I know no more than anyone else, but I would believe the car is probably perfectly fine, albeit with a Carfax blemish. The real question comes down to value...and you're willingness to deal with that Carfax should you ever wish to sell it.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991