Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
Do we know whether "A Penske Dealership" has any benefit to us? Is the national Penske organization something that you can use to exercise pressure on a local dealer in case of trouble?

I am not sure I approve of this specific use of PTS. At least it doesn't have the two-tone interior with two shades of brown. I love Porsche's two-tone interiors, but I often perceive mixing different browns as color clashing.
[ETA: what it's Macadamia? Cool. That is a great color]

BTW, how come we practically never see the Interior Color to Sample? It was available for a while, wasn't it?
If you search the VIN, it comes up with several Penske dealerships in that city, same photos & listing (BMW, Mercedes - even Bugatti LOL). I don't think buying it from a Penske dealership would convey any kind of advantage.

I have taken my last two 991S's to a Penske Porsche dealership for service and warranty work - didn't buy either one of them from that dealership or any Penske dealership - and they have been great to work with.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by red67vert
When carmax says "No Haggle price" is that true? Or can you still make offer?
Is it possible to get a lower price? Any experience?
No, not in my experience or from anyone I know who has dealt with CARMAX.

They may drop the price if it sits there a long time, though. Maybe.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:10 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

They truly will not negotiate even one penny. Extended warranty also non-negotiable, but very well priced for a Porsche!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:18 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I don't think buying it from a Penske dealership would convey any kind of advantage.
I agree... Tons of Penske dealerships of all different brands, I think they have no service or inventory sharing with each other except at the corporate level. A franchise model... Several Penske dealerships in the same area might have some common investment, but other Penske dealerships have no connection other than the corporate umbrella.

Again, unlike carmax, which keeps a much tighter umbrella over all their dealerships and shares inventory, warranty service, etc.

I didn't realize quite how large Penske Automotive was, and how large of an international presence they had. You can search for dealers on their site, these are just the Penske Porsche dealers!

Plus 47 BMW dealers, 38 Audi dealers, 24 VW dealers, etc... 40+ brands and 300+ Franchises!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

The only thing I've heard of is they may spot you the price of tires if they are worn. That is rare though.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TerryC4S
The only thing I've heard of is they may spot you the price of tires if they are worn. That is rare though.
I've been told the same... Brakes and other safety items as well. They have their safety checklist, and any item that does not meet their specs will be repaired or replaced. That's why you see quite a few carmax cars that say "four new tires". And they do seem to put on 'correct' tires, not some garbage discount tire.

Sometimes it isn't caught on the new inventory inspection or the wear crosses the threshold after it's in their inventory, but if you point it out and it really is out of spec, I don't think it's a hassle to get them to fix it.

Very low emotion or ego in carmax transactions... "These are our cars, these are our prices, these are our policies, happy if you buy it, happy if you don't..." I just wish they took better care of cars in their inventory!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

OK, with all this talk about Carmax, how about this new Carmax Fresno 991?... Not showing up yet on the Carmax website, but on Cargurus here:

-->Now up on Carmax: https://www.carmax.com/car/14151382 <--
2015 Porsche 911 Carrera S Coupe
Carrara White Metallic over Black
PDK/SC/SportDesign steering wheel/Satin wheels.
11K miles
Two owner (or possibly original owner bought out a 1 year lease?)
Clean carfax (autocheck actually)
$115K sticker, $30K off sticker, now $85K at Carmax
Pretty basic build, no full leather, no Sport Exhaust, but nice looking car with low mileage and has some original warranty left...

Last edited by pfbz; 02-01-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:49 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

In case anyone is wondering, Carmax salespeople also get the same commission whether they sell an $80k car or an $8k car.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:55 PM
jbarrios504
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen a more loaded S, period. I have seen one or two 4S's with higher original MSRPs but never an S.

Here's the story from the selling dealer: They had a customer order one like this and the dealership liked the build so much that they ordered four more identical to that one (with one exception - one of the four had yellow stitching). They sold all of them locally - mine was one of the four that the dealer ordered. The original owner traded it in late last summer on a '16 GT3. Now, why on earth would someone load up a 991S deep into 911 Turbo pricing? In '13, the 991 Turbo was a year away and the GTS wasn't out yet, either so if you wanted the hottest new 991, this was the ticket.

Here's a cleaner version than the COA:

dude that is an awesome build!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:09 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

When I was looking I had two scenarios I was pursuing. An S Cab with MT and SC required, the options optional and an S Coupe with PDK, SC, and SD wheel, PSE a plus but could be added later. The first was for top-down weekend fun, the second for more serious performance. I found the first and bought it. This one fills the bill for the second and at $85k for 15 is a hot deal from what I've seen. I think we are seeing late winter pricing with 14s under $80k as well.

Originally Posted by pfbz
OK, with all this talk about Carmax, how about this new Carmax Fresno 991?... Not showing up yet on the Carmax website, but on Cargurus here:

11K miles
$115K sticker, $30K under off sticker, now $85K at Carmax
Pretty basic build, no full leather, no Sport Exhaust, but nice looking car with low mileage and has some original warranty left...

Last edited by TerryC4S; 02-01-2017 at 03:09 PM. Reason: correcte price
Old 02-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by jbarrios504
dude that is an awesome build!
Thanks! I was very excited to find it! Drove across several states to go get it but it was worth it.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by pfbz

11K miles
$115K sticker, $30K under off sticker, now $85K at Carmax

That's not a bad price, if it is what you are looking for. A little lightly optioned but low miles, two years left on the factory warranty.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:45 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Here's a brand new 2016 C2S with rare manual and nice options, loaded to $128.7k and only $110k, asking. I bought my C2S from Kerry Terlep at Napleton, when up there last Summer... it was one of those rare pleasurable buying experiences...

Old 02-01-2017, 04:51 PM
WGJP 993
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I was particularly intrigued by one specific option that I really wanted in my next 911 but was very hard to find on CPO 991.1's, especially S or 4S's.

So I came across this particular 991S on this thread that had that special and rare option that I wanted and it caught my eye. Then I started looking closer at the build sheet...never really thought about getting PCCB's. PowerKit, well that would be nice to have, too. Burmester, hmmm, would be a nice upgrade over my Bose. Full leather? Carbon fiber? AEROKIT CUP SPOILER (love this one!). So I thought, this is a very special car. Let me take a shot at getting it.

The rest of the story I put in another thread but needless to say, I am very happy that I found this one. It's a keeper!
Beautiful car, and what a deal! So, what was the one "special and rare option" that you found on this?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:06 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Here's a brand new 2016 C2S with rare manual and nice options, loaded to $128.7k and only $110k, asking. I bought my C2S from Kerry Terlep at Napleton, when up there last Summer... it was one of those rare pleasurable buying experiences...
^Looks like a good deal, but the warranty was punched over a year ago. I would have preferred leather interior over PCCBs.

https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...AB2A92GS122784

WHY do dealers try to sell used cars as new, especially with 4.6k miles?! https://ed-napleton.porschedealer.co...ine+Red+800444

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991