Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:36 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 694 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Sorry for the hijack. I was reading reviews of CarMax and it is full of negative experiences. Maybe someone can point me to a thread where CarMax is discussed here. Also, CPO is lost if sold again through dealer, right ?
I bought my first 991S from CARMAX. It was a 2012.5, two years old, 7,200 miles on it, and still had two years left on the factory warranty. I kept it for two more years and traded it in on my dream car, a loaded low mileage 2013 991S in great conditions with about $50k more in options than my 2012.5.

In the two years I owned the 2012.5, it was a great car. A few common warranty items the first year I owned it - all covered, of course. It was in great condition when I bought it and I had it checked out by another dealer within the 5 day window of purchase (or you can return the car) with a PPI. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another car from CARMAX, if it checked out and was what I desired (preferably low miles and still a little bit of factory warranty left).

Their 911 inventory varies a lot. When I bought mine, there weren't many 991's on there and when this one popped up, I jumped on it (it had a very nice build, 991S with PDK, PDCC, PASM, Sport Chrono, PSE, Bose, 18 way leather heated and ventilated seats, PDLS, parking sensors front and rear, PSP, folding mirrors, sunroof, and Sport Design wheels, original MSRP was $122k). Sometimes they have some real gems on there. Other times they will have cars that might not sell well (undesirable colors or options) - if you look at the 997's or 996's they have (or used to have), a lot of them were low option models. The 991's, even with low options, are still pretty nicely equipped.

My 2012.5 991S that I bought from CARMAX: (my first Porsche and one that gave me a lot of great memories!)

Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 309 Posts

Not sure where/how this idea that a Porsche's sale thru a dealer loses its CPO ever got started. Let's be clear. The CPO is transferable from owner to owner to owner, etc. If a dealer takes a CPO Porsche in trade and then sells it, that dealer's name never lands on the title. The title passes from private owner to private owner. Got it? The dealer is never in the legally titled ownership loop, unless the dealer titles it for his own dealership's use. Got it? The next owner simply fills out the post card in the warranty book, or can now do it online, and Porsche confers the CPO warranty and any recalls onto the next owner. Simply understood...
Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Thank you both ^^^ for your thoughtful replies. Feel better now about CarMax. As for CPO, all I need to ask is whether the selling dealer is the owner, right? If they ever do that, then no more CPO
Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 PM
BusDriverBob
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TerryC4S
Thanks STG for starting this thread. I spend more time here than any other on Rennlist. Even though I have found and purchased my car, I relive that thrill vicariously through other's great finds and purchases.
+1. I check this thread almost nightly, even though I pulled the trigger last September on my C4S Cab. Although my car was not featured on the thread, I learned what is/isn't important, things to look for, recent prices, ect. Now it's fun to see what's out there. Thanks, STG and crew!

In related news, I washed and Zymoled (?) the 911 today. Took forever because I spent more time admiring the car than actually working...
Old 01-31-2017, 11:01 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Not sure where/how this idea that a Porsche's sale thru a dealer loses its CPO ever got started. Let's be clear. The CPO is transferable from owner to owner to owner, etc. If a dealer takes a CPO Porsche in trade and then sells it, that dealer's name never lands on the title. The title passes from private owner to private owner. Got it? The dealer is never in the legally titled ownership loop, unless the dealer titles it for his own dealership's use. Got it? The next owner simply fills out the post card in the warranty book, or can now do it online, and Porsche confers the CPO warranty and any recalls onto the next owner. Simply understood...
I don't claim to be an expert on Porsche CPO transfers, but I think anyone taking the above advice at face value should do some further checking...

If the CPO documentation states that the warranty is terminated if subsequently sold through a non-Porsche dealer, I think relying on them not finding out because the "the dealer never takes title" is more than a little risky. Carfax typically shows the 3rd party dealer involvement even if the title history does not.

Does the CPO documentation clearly state that a sale by a non Porsche dealer voids remaining warranty? Does Porsche check? Does PCNA care?

I don't know the real answers to these questions, but I'd be sure to check before assuming 09RedGTS's position on CPO transfers is correct.

There must be someone here that has a current CPO car that can go through the CPO agreement and see if there is language about warranty being voided on certain types of transfers...
Old 01-31-2017, 11:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

It is Porsche's policy, that a CPO is voided if passed through a non-Porsche dealer. Do some fall through the cracks? Sure. Want to take that risk with a major repair?

There is no "card" to fill out with a CPO. It stays with the VIN #. I've heard PCNA will sometimes run CarFax or vehicle history reports to look at sales history.

Why has this come up again??
Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 PM
Daekwan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I bought my first 991S from CARMAX. It was a 2012.5, two years old, 7,200 miles on it, and still had two years left on the factory warranty. I kept it for two more years and traded it in on my dream car, a loaded low mileage 2013 991S in great conditions with about $50k more in options than my 2012.5.

In the two years I owned the 2012.5, it was a great car. A few common warranty items the first year I owned it - all covered, of course. It was in great condition when I bought it and I had it checked out by another dealer within the 5 day window of purchase (or you can return the car) with a PPI. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another car from CARMAX, if it checked out and was what I desired (preferably low miles and still a little bit of factory warranty left).

Their 911 inventory varies a lot. When I bought mine, there weren't many 991's on there and when this one popped up, I jumped on it (it had a very nice build, 991S with PDK, PDCC, PASM, Sport Chrono, PSE, Bose, 18 way leather heated and ventilated seats, PDLS, parking sensors front and rear, PSP, folding mirrors, sunroof, and Sport Design wheels, original MSRP was $122k). Sometimes they have some real gems on there. Other times they will have cars that might not sell well (undesirable colors or options) - if you look at the 997's or 996's they have (or used to have), a lot of them were low option models. The 991's, even with low options, are still pretty nicely equipped.
Color me confused. If your 2012.5 MSRP was $122k and your 2013 had "$50k more in options".. exactly what options do you have on your '13 CS2 to make it cost $172k? I didnt think an S car could spec'd that high. Figured they topped out around $150k. Off the top of my head Im guessing Powerkit & Burmester?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:29 PM
STG
Race Director

^^^ look back at HFS car of the year 2016!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:29 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
$62,725 asking price, 35,000 miles, CPO.
Direct link to the selling Porsche Dealer, http://www.porscheofmpls.com/certifi...3593670176.htm

Has an accident history (but still CPO..?). Decent build.

Price would be good without the accident history and the CPO, not sure how 'hot' it is with a front end collision in it's past.

Just a follow-up on this car... Three owner car.
  • Owner one bought the car new, kept it about two years/23K miles. Traded it back in to selling dealer.
  • Owner two bought the car with a CPO (through Aug 2018).
  • Owner two had an accident post-purchase, the verbal history is that it required a bumper cover, hood, and headlight. Zero documentation on actual repair. Traded it back in to same dealer about six months after accident.
  • Owner three bought the car (6/2015) from same Porsche dealer. It retained it's 'residual' CPO.
  • Owner three traded it in to different Porsche dealer after about 18 months of ownership.
  • Now for sale through that Porsche with the same residual CPO through 08/2018, no documentation of accident repairs.

It's a gorgeous car, nice options, year-and-a-half of CPO remaining, I' think $63K it is overpriced with the accident history. Any thoughts as to what is the 'right' (aka HFS HOT DEAL) price on this car? I personally don't mind owning a car with well repaired previous accident damage, but want to protect the equity on a downstream sale...

Old 01-31-2017, 11:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Attachment 1131025
Old 01-31-2017, 11:33 PM
STG
Race Director

I kinda like the "991 POINT ONE" or "POINT ONE" tag line.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Attachment 1131036
Old 01-31-2017, 11:54 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I say it as 'dot one'... not 'point one...'
Old 01-31-2017, 11:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Really??? That seems bizarre. Anyone else?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:56 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

I assumed everybody did.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991