Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 12:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Why not pay the $17, join up here, and offer the car for sale? Seems like a good price for fellow members.
Yup!

Originally Posted by cclcal
oh yeah, for sure.

I just didnt realize the difference bw member and user.
It was 2 threads down from your post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1220...-rennlist.html
Old 05-21-2021, 01:30 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron.Eggelbert
If you look at Autotrader/eBay/Cars.com/etc. for 997 & 991s you will find the majority of available cars are generally offered by a select few small used car dealerships. Examples:

Ryan Friedman Motorcars: https://www.ryanfriedmanmotorcars.com/
Grand Prix Motors: https://www.grandprimotors.com/used-...ortland-or.htm
RAC Performance: https://www.racperformance.com/
And a few more..

The business model seems to be finding good cars direct from owners (or various other sources), paying a fair price, and then listing the car for a 15-20K premium over wholesale and waiting for the right buyer. Without a doubt they have some nice cars on offer.

I have no affiliation besides having sold a few Porsches to these kind of dealers. They pay in between Carmax and retail. I value smooth transactions over maximum dollar, so it's worked for me.
Thanks for the response.

I was thinking that is what a reseller does, just was not sure.

Several months ago I had an extremely reckless experience with Grand Prix Motors & All Things Porsche to the point I had to get an Attorney involved. I know they have sold hundreds of cars,.. I even know a person who bought a 911 from GPM. To me they are the quintessential used car shop that sells Porsches, not Porsche people. My incident was with the GM, not the staff.

I am in the market again for a 911 and actually GPM has a nice selection of Porsches. Unfortunately not going to happen there.

Last edited by Dkk16; 05-21-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:54 PM
Txtonyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Unless you need out quickly, I'd avoid some of these

Originally Posted by Baron.Eggelbert
If you look at Autotrader/eBay/Cars.com/etc. for 997 & 991s you will find the majority of available cars are generally offered by a select few small used car dealerships. Examples:

Ryan Friedman Motorcars: https://www.ryanfriedmanmotorcars.com/
Grand Prix Motors: https://www.grandprimotors.com/used-...ortland-or.htm
RAC Performance: https://www.racperformance.com/
And a few more..

The business model seems to be finding good cars direct from owners (or various other sources), paying a fair price, and then listing the car for a 15-20K premium over wholesale and waiting for the right buyer. Without a doubt they have some nice cars on offer.

I have no affiliation besides having sold a few Porsches to these kind of dealers. They pay in between Carmax and retail. I value smooth transactions over maximum dollar, so it's worked for me.
Just to comment on RAC Performance - total misrep on a recent transaction. I had several bites on a transaction to sell my car. An "investor" of that shop contacted me through a PCA ad I had listed (also joined here and listed on marketplace). The entire time I was told this was for his personal use. He balked at the PPI results he thought seemed odd after I took time to arrange locally and seemed disputatious with the shop owner on a few things, none of which were anything remarkable.

Eventually the car was sold to them in an easy transaction. About a week later, I was alerted it was listed on their site. Texted this "investor" and was told "to be clear this was for personal use." Total liar. Next it went to sale pending and was sold, all within 3-4 weeks after it left me. Don't know the ultimate price but it was listed about 9k above my selling price. Went out of my way to include extra mats and did not remove some OEM upgrades that weren't exactly designed to be part of the sale as I thought it was going to an enthusiast. Had I know the tactic, I would not have sold it to them but obviously a personal decision (and it was not at full asking price).

Just my thoughts but I'd skip buying from a place that operates in this manner. In fact, I saw RAC ****** a BAT listing after mine and predicted it would be a flip for them on the comments. Was exactly right on the call for that one too as it showed up there and is gone. Not illegal in any way but just underhanded when I was told one thing and something else occurred - that part is unfortunate and completely disingenuous.

My advice, check reviews on yelp, google, and on here for dealing with these places. Although some are dedicated enthusiasts, at the end of the transaction it is just another car in many cases to them.

The following users liked this post:
George from MD (05-26-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 02:00 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,079 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Txtonyo
Just to comment on RAC Performance - total misrep on a recent transaction. I had several bites on a transaction to sell my car. An "investor" of that shop contacted me through a PCA ad I had listed (also joined here and listed on marketplace). The entire time I was told this was for his personal use. He balked at the PPI results he thought seemed odd after I took time to arrange locally and seemed disputatious with the shop owner on a few things, none of which were anything remarkable.
Had the same thing happen to me with RAC. I nearly sold my car to him and later decided not to sell. Said he was an “investor” of RAC and was just running the deal through them (easier to deal with the lien). Smelled very fishy and on one of our calls, I could hear another guy in the background (sounded like a sales manager).

Kind of sleazy. Just be honest, if people want to sell their car to you for a fair price it’s no different than selling to a dealership. No hidden motives. Very headscratching, maybe I’m one of the few honest businessmen left, but I hope not.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:07 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Had the same thing happen to me with RAC. I nearly sold my car to him and later decided not to sell. Said he was an “investor” of RAC and was just running the deal through them (easier to deal with the lien). Smelled very fishy and on one of our calls, I could hear another guy in the background (sounded like a sales manager).

Kind of sleazy. Just be honest, if people want to sell their car to you for a fair price it’s no different than selling to a dealership. No hidden motives. Very headscratching, maybe I’m one of the few honest businessmen left, but I hope not.
When I was looking for referrals for a PPI in the Dallas area a couple of years ago, multiple people here told me that they took a car they were considering to RAC for a PPI only to have RAC buy it out from under them. Thankfully I was referred to Mayo and they did a fantastic job with my PPI, and obviously didn't have a hidden agenda like RAC. I would just suggest anyone looking to buy or sell to RAC to proceed with caution.
cpa7man (05-23-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 02:09 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

This is the gold rush for hi end used car dealers. They must be killing it, especially in the last 6 weeks.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:11 PM
NA2
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 56 Posts
Default resellers

I go thru a lot of weekend cars and I have bought and sold sight unseen through Todd Myers (owner) at UDrive. When I buy a car from him I know i'm paying 10-15% more than he paid for it. And when I sell a car to him I know he's going to resell it for 10-15% more (and very well might already have another buyer lined up). You can call it "flipping" but it is also called capitalism and that is how these guys make their living. As long as they are honest and accurately represent their inventory, all the power to them.

In the case of UDrive, I know anything i'm buying from them has been fully vetted. They only buy clean cars with service history and no stories. Most of their inventory comes and goes through repeat customers like me. When I sell to them I'm leaving a few bucks on the table for sure....but I know i'm going to have an immediate wire transfer and absolutely zero hassles.

All of these outfits are NOT cut from the same cloth. Do your research.
Bob in NY (05-24-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:21 PM
Txtonyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Outright shameful

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
When I was looking for referrals for a PPI in the Dallas area a couple of years ago, multiple people here told me that they took a car they were considering to RAC for a PPI only to have RAC buy it out from under them. Thankfully I was referred to Mayo and they did a fantastic job with my PPI, and obviously didn't have a hidden agenda like RAC. I would just suggest anyone looking to buy or sell to RAC to proceed with caution.
Saw this same story elsewhere. I cannot even fathom a company would operate in such a manner, that is horrendous and just plain shameful.

I am always supportive of places and refer customers when I can provided they act as though they deserve the business. RAC Performance was added to my "do not recommend" list.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:15 AM
thelampire
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Does this count as a good deal now with the current market conditions?

2013 C2 MT with 53k miles at 58kUSD (97kUSD original MSRP)

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1252352

It was posted about half a year ago for 50k (here) but he couldn't sell it. By the time I made up my mind, the ad was gone. I'm still interested, but not necessarily for 58k. About 53 would be better What do you think?

Last edited by thelampire; 05-22-2021 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:28 PM
Baron.Eggelbert
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Txtonyo
Went out of my way to include extra mats and did not remove some OEM upgrades that weren't exactly designed to be part of the sale as I thought it was going to an enthusiast.
Sorry to hear that. Seems wrong and also unnecessary that they would represent themselves as enthusiasts buying for their personal use.

As others have pointed out, there's no issue with the dealer model. I don't put in time and effort, take a bit less, they put in time and effort - get a bit more - fair game. But why lie?
Old 05-24-2021, 06:10 PM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an absolutely terrible experience with RAC as well. Its a shame because they're local and could be a great shop. But I will never do business with them for any reason.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:57 PM
cyran
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

RAC has a green 987.2 BS for sale. They bought it at a Pcarmart auction. Wasn’t very clean, owner was kind of clueless and it was maintained at Pep Boys…but they only sell the finest cars….
Old 05-25-2021, 03:02 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I see some discussion of RMC motorcars in this thread, and not being completely up on the used 991 market right now, can I get the groups thoughts on this vehicle, please?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=myATCsavedcar
Old 05-25-2021, 03:10 PM
NA2
Rennlist Member

Default wow

Originally Posted by DrJay
I see some discussion of RMC motorcars in this thread, and not being completely up on the used 991 market right now, can I get the groups thoughts on this vehicle, please?

Great spec.... slicktop, powerkit, CCB, MT...... if the car checks out go buy it immediately. That is a really good price. I almost have to think that there is something wrong with the car. It won't last if it's legit.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:14 PM
NA2
Rennlist Member

Default damage

Originally Posted by DrJay

just checked the carfax..... damage history :-(.... you know the old saying? if it seems too good to be true.....

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991