HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 08:00 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 845 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by nochain19
Came across this https://www.edhicksimports.com/used/...4f53bb9911.htm

Seems like it has all the right options and attractive price, dealership looks like it has decent reviews as well. Thoughts?
Thanks for the find. My buddy got in touch with them today and the condition is a little rough: several paint scratches here & there, interior showing some wears, and with the miles sure not a good fit for someone looking for a pristine example. But should make for a good driver's car if the mechanical part is clean.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:57 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by nochain19
Came across this https://www.edhicksimports.com/used/...4f53bb9911.htm

Seems like it has all the right options and attractive price, dealership looks like it has decent reviews as well. Thoughts?
For your reference, I have almost the exact same car that I bought last October for slightly more with 57k miles on it.
Felt like a great deal IMO at the time based on market and availability of S model with a lot of options.
Mine came with new brakes, tires and a needed bumper respray to get exterior near perfect. Mine came with grey full leather interior and carpet with coffee stains.
Found a black carpet kit w/8k miles on it that I'll put in this spring and have managed to only do oil changes, plugs, and an extra set of wheels.
Have had a great time for over 10k miles since, lots of car for $50k, grab one if you are on the fence!

The following users liked this post:
Wing Commander (12-31-2019)
Old 01-03-2020, 12:28 PM
rennedescartes
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello all -

I'm new to this forum (have been obsessively reading this thread for a few weeks though!)

I am looking to get into a 911 this spring (April/May most likely) and had a few questions about cost...

I'd like to be in the <$65k range, though could stretch up to $70k for the right car. I'm mostly wondering if that is even reasonable for a late 991.1 or early 991.2, or if I should look at 981 S/GTS instead?
This would be my first Porsche (Coming from a B8.5 S4)
I'd be looking for a modestly optioned C2:
SC - required
7MT - required
PASM - required
Park assist (backup camera) - required
PSE - want
PTV - want
Premium package - want

Is this something attainable in my price range? I'm ok with reasonable mileage (9k/year or so is no problem) and I'm flexible on colors.
Judging by Porsche's 'pre-owned' database it looks like it would be hard to find what I'm looking for, but I don't have a good feel for how much one could negotiate off the list prices on there, as they seem absurdly high for some (90% of MSRP for a 3year old car + 20k miles??)

I also really like 981s, so I would be happy to end up in one of those instead if a 991 is out of my budget... Just trying to get some guidance!

Last edited by rennedescartes; 01-03-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:03 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by rennedescartes
Hello all -

I'm new to this forum (have been obsessively reading this thread for a few weeks though!)

I am looking to get into a 911 this spring (April/May most likely) and had a few questions about cost...

I'd like to be in the <$65k range, though could stretch up to $70k for the right car. I'm mostly wondering if that is even reasonable for a late 991.1 or early 991.2, or if I should look at 981 S/GTS instead?
SC - required
7MT - required
PASM - required
LCA - required ( can't go back to no blind-spot monitors haha )
PSE - want
PTV - want
Premium package - want

Is this something attainable in my price range? I'm ok with reasonable mileage (9k/year or so is no problem) and I'm flexible on colors.
Judging by Porsche's 'pre-owned' database it looks like it would be hard to find what I'm looking for, but I don't have a good feel for how much one could negotiate off the list prices on there, as they seem absurdly high for some (90% of MSRP for a 3year old car + 20k miles??)

I also really like 981s, so I would be happy to end up in one of those instead if a 991 is out of my budget... Just trying to get some guidance!
You better remove LCA from required if shopping for a 991.1. I have yet to see one
Old 01-03-2020, 01:07 PM
rennedescartes
Advanced

Originally Posted by visitador
You better remove LCA from required if shopping for a 991.1. I have yet to see one
Yea you're right - they were only an option on 991.2
Realistically I don't need them, they're just nice to have. I'll edit my post.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:29 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 393 Posts

Hello all -

SC - required
7MT - required
PASM - required
PSE - want
PTV - want
Premium package - want

I believe you will be able to find more or less what you're looking for...but it may take some time and searching, basically all over, and you have to be ready to pounce when you find "your" car. For a car with some miles, you should be able to grab one at 55%-65% of MSRP.

Though I will probably be kicked out of this thread for saying so, I strongly encourage you to drive a 981 S/GTS. They are great cars and, IMO, are more enjoyable sports cars than 991s. (I have had several of both.) Though they are less costly, they are surely no less fun; indeed, I would argue, more fun. (SC and PTV are not easy to find on 981Ss [though I found one :-)], but standard on GTSs.) PSE is DEFINITELY something you'll want if you like some sound.

Enjoy the search! (And ping me if I can be helpful in any way.)
The following users liked this post:
Wing Commander (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 01:56 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello all -

SC - required
7MT - required
PASM - required
PSE - want
PTV - want
Premium package - want

coming from someone that has had a 997 c4s without pse, mercedes c55amg, b9 s5, and now a 991.1 c2s with pse and judging by the fact your are coming from an s4, I highly recommend stretching for a c2s, instead of c2. PSE is huge- I think the non sport exhaust sounds terrible especially if you are used to s4 sound.

I think you can definately find a 991.1 c2s with less than 30k miles in your price range. if it’s a c2, probably less than 60. Agree, you’ll have to be patient.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:08 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

I am looking to get into a 911 this spring
...could stretch up to $70k for the right car.
...[is] that reasonable for a late 991.1 or early 991.2...
Your biggest challenge? Manuals are much harder to find... Not necessarily worth more or more expensive, but with 90%+ of 991s optioned with PDK, finding a specific option/color combination in a manual is much more difficult.

But apart from your very specific list of options, it isn't difficult to find a HOT 991.1 in that price range.

Not so much with a .2... On the 991.2, you will likely be limited to base (not S) and even with a base, very few are as low as $70K yet.

Personally, if you are getting up to the low seventies, I personally would ABSOLUTELY go for a base .2 in a second vs. a .1 S of any option combination. The power is amazing even on the base, the tunability even more amazing! It will destroy a .1 S in performance. Cobb tune it and you will be ~430hp.

On your option musts, why Sport Chrono? I agree that it is a *must* on a PDK car for the Sport+ pdk mode, but on a manual, it really is just a useless dash timer and dynamic engine mounts and auto-blip (though not on some 2012 991.1 manuals). The dynamic mounts are nice, though pricey when they fail and certainly IMHO not a must-have, so is it the auto-blip you are after? It is cool, and though loved by many, hated by many as well!
The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
Class5Kayaker (01-06-2020), Wing Commander (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:33 PM
rennedescartes
Advanced

Originally Posted by pfbz
Your biggest challenge? Manuals are much harder to find... Not necessarily worth more or more expensive, but with 90%+ of 991s optioned with PDK, finding a specific option/color combination in a manual is much more difficult.

But apart from your very specific list of options, it isn't difficult to find a HOT 991.1 in that price range.

Not so much with a .2... On the 991.2, you will likely be limited to base (not S) and even with a base, very few are as low as $70K yet.

Personally, if you are getting up to the low seventies, I personally would ABSOLUTELY go for a base .2 in a second vs. a .1 S of any option combination. The power is amazing even on the base, the tunability even more amazing! It will destroy a .1 S in performance. Cobb tune it and you will be ~430hp.

On your option musts, why Sport Chrono? I agree that it is a *must* on a PDK car for the Sport+ pdk mode, but on a manual, it really is just a useless dash timer and dynamic engine mounts and auto-blip (though not on some 2012 991.1 manuals). The dynamic mounts are nice, though pricey when they fail and certainly IMHO not a must-have, so is it the auto-blip you are after? It is cool, and though loved by many, hated by many as well!
Hmmm I've gone back and forth on the SC a lot - I actually prefer no auto-blip, but my understanding was that it also has improved performance and throttle response. Is that mostly marketing nonsense? If so, that would definitely make it easier to find a good car.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:03 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Hmmm I've gone back and forth on the SC a lot - I actually prefer no auto-blip, but my understanding was that it also has improved performance and throttle response. Is that mostly marketing nonsense? If so, that would definitely make it easier to find a good car.
Huge difference in PDK shift strategy... Not likely going to notice any throttle response difference with a manual. Zero performance bump on a .1.

I think SC on the .2 will give you a few seconds of over-boost since they became Turbos. Again, the .2 is a different league performance wise.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:39 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Huge difference in PDK shift strategy... Not likely going to notice any throttle response difference with a manual. Zero performance bump on a .1.

I think SC on the .2 will give you a few seconds of over-boost since they became Turbos. Again, the .2 is a different league performance wise.
my 997 manual had huge throttle response difference with sport chrono on vs off. Not sure about the comparison to 991s. I would have hated my 997 c4s without sport chrono.

also, 991.1 vs .2, big difference between if you like turbo engines vs NA engines. I chose my .1 because I wanted to avoid turbos.

then again I would never kick a turbo s out of my garage. Lol
Old 01-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivyplaya01
my 997 manual had huge throttle response difference with sport chrono on vs off. Not sure about the comparison to 991s. I would have hated my 997 c4s without sport chrono.

also, 991.1 vs .2, big difference between if you like turbo engines vs NA engines. I chose my .1 because I wanted to avoid turbos.

then again I would never kick a turbo s out of my garage. Lol
Agreed, my 997S MT throttle completely changed when sport mode was active. I’m assuming the same thing with a 991.1 would occur.

And for what it’s worth, I would definitely go 991.2 base vs 991.1 S.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Remember that the 997.1 only had sport mode if you got SC. All 991.1 have sport mode, with or without SC, but they added a sport plus mode. I
Old 01-03-2020, 11:23 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 296 Posts

Remember that the 997.1 only had sport mode if you got SC. All 991.1 have sport mode, with or without SC, but they added a sport plus mode. I
Yes the sport mode definitely enhances the throttle on manual 991.1.
I was looking for sport chrono but then I found one that ticked all the boxes and more but SC was missing so I don't miss it.
Good luck, I think you should be able to find what you are after.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

You should seriously consider making your move very soon as prices will increase significantly as soon as March as dealers get inventories ready for Spring.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991