Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:20 AM
Paul007
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vivalaReagan
thx, stg991! i found it at a local dealer in tampa, fl. apologies in advance for the long post but you asked for it.

i didn't find my 911 in this thread but learned a ton, including the price range i should target. the purchase experience wasn't optimal but worked out in the end. earlier this week i had successfully negotiated a price on a 2013 c2. after test driving it, i conducted the negotiations via email. once we arrived at a mutually agreeable price, we agreed to meet the next day for me to sign and take delivery. when i arrived, i was sheepishly greeted by my sales rep & told that there had been a mistake & the car had been sold. naturally, i was frustrated and lost trust with the rep/dealer.

back at the office later that day, i called the sales manager to express my displeasure. he was sincerely apologetic and vowed to make it up to me. unfortunately, he didn't have another 911 on the lot that met my criteria. consequently, i visited a few other central fl dealers in person and via the web in search of the ideal 911 for me. a couple of days later (yesterday), the sales manager called me & informed me that he had just received a 2014 911 carrera S that wasn't for sale yet & he wanted to give me right of first refusal.

still frustrated and suspicious of doing business with this dealership, i visited another local dealership & test drove a 2013 carrera 4s. i wasn't enamored with it & convinced myself to visit the original dealership to check out the "right of first refusal" 911S. the sales manager ended up being a very sincere and straightforward guy who apologized profusely and reiterated his vow to make it right for me (a return customer who was undoubtedly mistreated). after a very brief negotiation involving the two of us reviewing similar cars at competing dealers, he took $6K off the car (it was being listed for $96k) and we eventually landed at $7k off (plus a swag bag of porsche goodies for my 13 year old son, who "helped' me negotiate).

all is well that ends well. i spent more than i originally intended but landed a much better car that truly excites me. this is my first porsche after decades of bmw m cars & sav's, and i am thrilled. my son is pretty excited, too, and will join me at the hour-long delivery/car introduction appointment (& to collect his swag bag).

i will follow your advice and post an official intro thread on the main board after delivery tomorrow afternoon. thx, again!
Hey Reagan, Looks like you found a nice one in the end. I can imagine you were very cautious about going back to the dealer, but it sounds like your son sealed the deal and got his goodies too - everyone is happy. Enjoy the collection day experience. I just purchased my first Porsche this week, so can imagine how you are feeling right now. Enjoy it
Old 01-29-2016, 07:40 AM
vivalaReagan
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul007
Hey Reagan, Looks like you found a nice one in the end. I can imagine you were very cautious about going back to the dealer, but it sounds like your son sealed the deal and got his goodies too - everyone is happy. Enjoy the collection day experience. I just purchased my first Porsche this week, so can imagine how you are feeling right now. Enjoy it
thx, paul! congrats on your new porsche, too. enjoy it!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Helping out a fellow Rennlister. He actually custom ordered this car (quite perfectly) with the advice he gathered in "hot for sale". A nice option for a nearly new 2016 C2S. Especially in black! As you know black ones a few years old or more can look pretty "used". This probably looks as good as it does the day it came off the lot. Due your due dilligence inspection of course. Make him an offer!!

Copy of ad in RL classifieds:

2016 Porsche 911 S For Sale
Mileage: 1,756
Selling price: $102,900

MSRP: $121,790.00
Clean car. Like new. No scratches, nicks or dents on paint or rims.
Dealer installed 3M wrap on front fenders, front hood.

If interested please email me at mlk47@case.edu

Old 01-29-2016, 09:08 AM
STG
Race Director

vivalaReagan, thanks for the story. What a happy ending. An encouraging story to guys searching out there! I'll keep an eye out for the intro thread a PICTURES! Lots of them please.

You scored big. Not sure if you know how much. An awesome build.

What color interior by the way?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

First of all, thanks to STG and all of the regular contributors to this thread. As a first time Porsche buyer it has been a weath of information.

So what do you guys think is a good deal on a well optioned 2012.5 right now? Most of the recent finds on this thread seem to be 2013 or newer. I'm honestly going back and forth on waiting or pulling the trigger on a nice privately owned C2S that I've found locally for 69k.

Originally 128k MSRP 2012.5 S with PASM,PDK, full leather, chrono, PSE, Burmester, Prem Package, Park Assist, and 17,000 miles. Agate gray with 3M bra. Its very clean and owned by a collector that has a lot cars. Clean one owner Carfax and its got all the nice options. It is privately owned so I'll need to factor in the purchase on a 3rd party extended on it which will run close to 4k for a 5/60. 2 months left on factory warranty and I've seen all the service records on the car.

This seems like a well optioned car and I've got him at $69k for it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited by Maketrax; 01-29-2016 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add content
Old 01-29-2016, 10:53 AM
STG
Race Director

Maketrax, don't expect much of a price difference between 2012.5's and 2013's.

Finding a one owner car who you'd be buying from directly is a great situation. Especially if he's a car guy and enthusiast like mentioned. The car most likely has been well cared for. Better than wondering who the two previous owners may have been in some cases.

Finding a car and buying it directly from the first owner isn't that easy many times.

That being said, at $69K that car seems very fairly priced for the generous MSRP and build. Search the car sites, and you won't get close to that for an S with a $128K MSRP and only 17K miles for $69,000.00

What you will find are 997.2's, and low optioned ($10-15K lower MSRP than yours) 991.1's with higher mileage.

These cars are quite reliable and I would maybe pass on spending $4K on an extended warranty. Just make sure to take it into the dealer to make sure all small factory campaigns have been performed.

Not to mention, you can't tell the difference between a 2012.5 and a 2016 sitting next to each other! Nice way to save some cash for a great car. $60K off sticker is nice.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:20 PM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Maketrax, don't expect much of a price difference between 2012.5's and 2013's.

Finding a one owner car who you'd be buying from directly is a great situation. Especially if he's a car guy and enthusiast like mentioned. The car most likely has been well cared for. Better than wondering who the two previous owners may have been in some cases.

Finding a car and buying it directly from the first owner isn't that easy many times.

That being said, at $69K that car seems very fairly priced for the generous MSRP and build. Search the car sites, and you won't get close to that for an S with a $128K MSRP and only 17K miles for $69,000.00

What you will find are 997.2's, and low optioned ($10-15K lower MSRP than yours) 991.1's with higher mileage.

These cars are quite reliable and I would maybe pass on spending $4K on an extended warranty. Just make sure to take it into the dealer to make sure all small factory campaigns have been performed.

Not to mention, you can't tell the difference between a 2012.5 and a 2016 sitting next to each other! Nice way to save some cash for a great car. $60K off sticker is nice.
Thanks so much for the input. I'm not sure I'll find a better deal right now. I've negotiated on a couple of other, very similarly optioned 2012.5's, and haven't been able to get below 72k. I went ahead and scheduled the PPI.

Any tips for the PPI? Its being done at the dealer that serviced the car and the complete service records were released to me. No red flags and all scheduled services have been completed on schedule and campaigns are up to date.

Still undecided about the extended. As a first time P owner i'll admit I'm a bit hesitant going without

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Maketrax, the only thing I'd be sure of is that it wasn't in an accident.

I wasn't going to mention this before, but since you have his Porsche dealer involved .... Maybe you can strike a deal with them on a factory CPO warranty. Worth like $3K and they're still making $ on it. It would require them taking the car into inventory and then selling you the car. They can't sell one without actually having the car in their possession. They can't just sell a CPO to someone driving in off the street.

You'd also have to offer them something reasonable to broker the deal I'm sure. Just an idea ...
Old 01-29-2016, 01:34 PM
vivalaReagan
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

vivalaReagan, thanks for the story. What a happy ending. An encouraging story to guys searching out there! I'll keep an eye out for the intro thread a PICTURES! Lots of them please.

You scored big. Not sure if you know how much. An awesome build.

What color interior by the way?
i probably don't yet appreciate how well i scored as i am new to porsche. this thread, plus my normal online pricing research, helped me get comfortable that i was getting a good enough deal to pull the trigger. i can't say thank you enough to those who invest the time on this forum to share their expertise & experiences. as i learn, i will attempt to return the favor.

i'm not certain of the official name of the color but it's two-toned. the seats, armrest, etc. are a "pebble grey" (i'm probably getting the name wrong) which are visually several shades darker than white. the dash, door armrests & other bits are a very dark grey or taupe color. it's a stunning color combo in person. i'll get the legitimate names of the colors at delivery this afternoon. hopefully i can capture a good representation of the colors via pics & share them here this weekend.

thanks again for the interest and advice along the way!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Maketrax, the only thing I'd be sure of is that it wasn't in an accident.

I wasn't going to mention this before, but since you have his Porsche dealer involved .... Maybe you can strike a deal with them on a factory CPO warranty. Worth like $3K and they're still making $ on it. It would require them taking the car into inventory and then selling you the car. They can't sell one without actually having the car in their possession. They can't just sell a CPO to someone driving in off the street.

You'd also have to offer them something reasonable to broker the deal I'm sure. Just an idea ...
Well now...thats a great idea. I'll talk to them about that.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maketrax
Well now...thats a great idea. I'll talk to them about that.
It's been done before. It just depends on whether they are willing to cooperate or not and for how much $$
Old 01-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Inbyten
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hot for Sale ... Where you'll find the special ones. I know a lot of guys don't like brown, but I like this car! Nicely optioned and a nice package. Windows too dark? No big deal. A tint place can replace with a lighter shade or remove. The Sport Techno's are my favorite OEM wheels!

C4S = CPO = 16Kmiles = $40K off sticker = Score!

Call our friend John Wright @ Porsche North Houston to strike a deal (info below). They also own the St. Louis dealer. He's a friend of Hot for Sale and knows what we do here. Whatever your searching for, he's a great resource and an enthusiast as well. They ship cars all over the states everyday. He can get a car to you as easy as an Amazon.com delivery.

https://stlouis.porschedealer.com/pr...91070/info.php

I'm tempted by the brown one, but this one has the options that are closer to what I'm looking for:

http://mobile.porscheoftysons.com/de...-14648586.html

Has any purchased from them before? The price seems a bit high given the miles, but their website suggests they don't negotiate.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:31 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Inbyten
I'm tempted by the brown one, but this one has the options that are closer to what I'm looking for:

http://mobile.porscheoftysons.com/de...-14648586.html

Has any purchased from them before? The price seems a bit high given the miles, but their website suggests they don't negotiate.
I was really interested in their no haggle pricing and their explanation of it so I did some looking. Porsche car locator shows 7 different 2014 C4S with PDK, sport chrono, sunroof, PSE from 92k to 110k. The closest to your build MSRP of $130k is listed for $91k with 15k miles. So the one you are looking at seems to be in the ballpark with other listings.

I am still lurking on here but very quickly have learned from the great postings about how to look up build sheets using VIN, and from there compare cars to others across the country using that MSRP as a frame of reference. I like to use the Porsche website because you can specify certain must-have options along with basics like transmission.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:07 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

This car is priced fairly based on the year, options, mileage, etc. Personally I think brown on umber isn't a great combo ... brown exterior looks great with beige ... but that's me being nit-picky ... i also like it when there is a contrast between the exterior and interior (dark blue on pebble/agate, etc )
Old 01-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Bobby5150
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So going from looker to owner. All because of this thread by the way. Need thoughts on this car.
http://www.porschebeachwood.com/deta...-14546798.html

Negotiated 71,400 and curious others thoughts, especially the STG, before I pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow morning. Price includes shipping to Chicagoland also. Sorry for the quick post but this all happened quicker than I expected. I will obviously post more shortly along with thanks!

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991