Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Yes. The listings have a link to the built sheet pdf files. I just need to convert it to jpg.

On another note, since we are including .2 cars now, what are the HFS standards for .2? That is what are .2 potential owners looking for and at what price point?

With .2's, obviously higher price points than .1's. As a general rule, I'd say at least $20K off MSRP.

Not worth looking at pre-owned cars with $5K-$15K discounts.

Maybe some of the lurkers can chime in how their searches have been going.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:13 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
We know the PCA buildsheet website was caching, so it wasn't hitting the database every time. It is hard to imagine that network traffic was significant in this day and age.

This clampdown is either because of perceived helping the competing used car sales sites, or because of privacy concerns (the cars currently owned by PCA dealers are known not to belong to private parties).
Commercialization, with paid advertising, didn't help the cause. I started seeing banners 1-2 weeks ago.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Commercialization, with paid advertising, didn't help the cause. I started seeing banners 1-2 weeks ago.

On VIN Analytics? Never saw that.

There are like 5 other guys on here that try and register cars, collect VIN's, and try and build databases on owner info for trying to be sales concierge businesses. I think that's the main issue here.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 893 Posts

Yup. On mobile
Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 AM
STG
Race Director

I have an ad blocker app on my phone which takes most of them off. Yeah, not something I'm a fan of. We were just doing our own build sheet pulls here as a service to potential buyers and Rennlisters. When it became more difficult to pull them, having an easy easy to do so by this site was helpful. I don't endorse commercialization of anything we do here. The same reason we don't want dealers posting ads.

We like a non-biased perspective here and one that we do as a courtesy to fellow Rennlisters. HFS has never taken anything or profited off of what we do here. That will always be the intention on Rennlist here.

Our success here also tends to bring a lot of unwanted outside attention as well which isn't always good. Geez, why couldn't I have have put my efforts into the next Twitter or something and cash out for $100MM??

We just want to keep things simple here. Discuss cars, options, the market, and use some listings as nice examples for guys to reference. That's it!

Looks like Porsche will use the build sheet option for their own pre-owned site. Anyone ever have a way to get around it, let me know. Seems like it's locked down pretty well now. Like I said, VIN Analytics is one of many that may have raised some red flags. Must say, his intentions seemed to always be in the right place and wasn't looking to make a living off it or anything. Can't same the same for some of these other guys out there. If they want to start a business that's fine, but Porsche has the right to control their content too. They'd rather have their franchised dealer network be the beneficiaries of any sales versus anyone else.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do network bandwidth, ads (you would laugh if you knew how much $ these sites produce), etc - that's just silly, especially with today's state of technology.

At the end of the day, it has everything to do with Porsche and more specifically, the consulting company responsible for their sites (I'm not naming names but you can find it if you look hard enough), protecting and centralizing their data back to the mothership and gaining control back. It is their right to do so after all, even if it pains me to say that. As STG mentioned, there are others out there, not just VIN Analytics and they're all impacted.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do...
Keep telling yourself that you had nothing to do with it getting shut down... but it just isn't the case. VinAnalytics and others siphoning and commercializing PCNA's proprietary data was absolutely noticed by Porsche, and it lit a fire under them to resolve an issue the've known about for a long time but previously didn't deem a critical issue to fix.

Not sure which bothers me more, your naivety in the first place that VinAnalytics commercially pulling proprietary data from Porsche was "OK with them" or your denial that it had anything to do with it being shut down. Sorry, but this issue really pissed me off and minimizing VinAnalytics role in this just adds fuel to the fire.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Keep telling yourself that you had nothing to do with it getting shut down... but it just isn't the case. VinAnalytics and others siphoning and commercializing PCNA's proprietary data was absolutely noticed by Porsche, and it lit a fire under them to resolve an issue the've known about for a long time but previously didn't deem a critical issue to fix.

Not sure which bothers me more, your naivety in the first place that VinAnalytics commercially pulling proprietary data from Porsche was "OK with them" or your denial that it had anything to do with it being shut down. Sorry, but this issue really pissed me off and minimizing VinAnalytics role in this just adds fuel to the fire.
I won't be getting into a debate about it with you, but I'm sorry you feel that way
Old 09-05-2018, 02:36 PM
SaGa1113
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People need to chill about the build sheets.
  • Does it suck that build sheets are becoming more inaccessible? Yes.
  • Did we ALL contribute in some way to Porsche's decision in making them less accessible? Yes.
  • Does the absence of access make it more difficult to find HFS? Yes.
So let's work with what we have and move on from this. Arguing about the impact or correlations of whoever's actions isn't going make build sheets come back. So...next HFS sighting, please!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:44 PM
rcristobal
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Why have it for free when you can charge for it. -PCNA Dealers

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...OWSTICKER.html
Old 09-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Here's a nicely priced, and lightly but nicely optioned '17 C2. $93k CAD = $70.5k USD.
This is about $10k less than comparable cars that I've seen.

https://www.porschevancouver.ca/inve...tallic+2070833
Old 09-05-2018, 06:00 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rcristobal
Why have it for free when you can charge for it. -PCNA Dealers

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...OWSTICKER.html
Ha. $13 seems steep for sure.

I think the silver lining is serious sellers will pay the $13 to market their cars. That only makes sense. While it’s frustrating, this might at least be a tool to vet sellers in terms of how serious/scrupulous they are
Old 09-05-2018, 06:58 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2015 Red GTS on BaT @ $70K ending soon :

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2015-porsche-911-9/

BaT Essentials

• Lot #12142
  • Seller: henrikthecat
  • Chassis: WP0AB2A94FS124888
  • 39,300 Miles
  • 3.8L Flat-Six
  • 7-Speed PDK Transmission
  • Carmine Red/Black Leather & Alcantara
  • Built-In Radar Detector
  • Service Records From New
  • Porsche CoA
  • Warranty Thru 2021 or 100k Miles
  • Window Sticker Included
  • $143,010 MSRP
  • Factory Books/Accessories
  • Clear Carfax Report
  • Private Party or Dealer: Dealer
  • Additional Charges From This Dealer: USD $0
Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 PM
STG
Race Director

The BaT GTS have a reserve $?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Ecloebl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is no reserve on a BaT auction, it will say so in the title. Otherwise, there is a reserve, and the amount is a mystery until the auction ends. Then it is marked as “sold” or “reserve not met.”

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991