Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS MODELS ARE ANNOUNCED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The price is good. I guess Porsche is giving us a bargain. This model won't need any more added options.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Well, I take off the internet for 30 minutes to prepare the above response in an earlier thread....and the gts is officially introduced (photo 2 of its attractive but 'standard' sport exhaust) !

In any case, I want all of you to ponder what I wrote re: the gt3/Turbo technology and how it could probably be incorporated soon into some future MY2016 model. I believe that it's something to take into consideration as you decide whether or not to invest on this MY2015 .1 model (which I think looks good...except there is nothing truly innovative there!).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
At the Starbucks on the Crossroads with slow internet!

I agree it is disappointing in that there seems to be nothing "new" like RAS or PDKs, but hasn't Porsche almost always made the next car better? I simply don't want to wait another year. It looks like an excellent deal for anyone who likes alcantara and center lock wheels. I think it will even be a good deal for someone like me who wants leather and 5 bolts with the apparent discount on the the X51, sport design SW (though I really want a MFSW with paddles) and SD mirrors. Every time I clicked X51 on my C4S build, my final price went into the mid $150s. I'm thinking (hoping) this price structure so far will bring the final tag a tad under $150.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Another important question. Will the carbon bucket seats from the GT3/918 be an available option.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:13 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Its a nice car for someone who sees it as Larry does, or Keadog, recognizing its really just a nice options package. If, and this is important, all the options you get are the options you want. If you like and really want center locking, painted Sport Design, Alcantara, smoked headlights, wide body, and all the rest, then its actually a pretty good deal. But otherwise, start deleting center locks, replacing Alcantara with leather, etc, it quickly gets to where your bargain evaporates and you're paying for "GTS". It would be so much better if Porsche would simply offer options packages that are true packages, i.e. discounted. Maybe there's something I'm missing where they do discount a few bucks, but it sure looks to me like the only discounted options package currently offered is called 'GTS'.

In the bigger picture this car seems to be one more sign of shortening development times. The last GTS came out at the end of the 997. This one comes out at the end of the 991.1. Its a trend that favors more features like RWS finding their way into a 991.2, sooner rather than later.

But hey, did I read the release right? PASM? Not SPASM??
Old 10-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Nice Larry! Exciting!
I love it!
What do you think of the rear deck lid now? I know you were worried... I think it looks perfect! It kind of reminds me of the 964 deck lid.
A manual too! I freakin love it!
How about 5 lugs? Does anyone know?
LOVE IT!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997xpress
Interior shot...
looks GREAT!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:47 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Its a nice car for someone who sees it as Larry does, or Keadog, recognizing its really just a nice options package. If, and this is important, all the options you get are the options you want. If you like and really want center locking, painted Sport Design, Alcantara, smoked headlights, wide body, and all the rest, then its actually a pretty good deal. But otherwise, start deleting center locks, replacing Alcantara with leather, etc, it quickly gets to where your bargain evaporates and you're paying for "GTS". It would be so much better if Porsche would simply offer options packages that are true packages, i.e. discounted. Maybe there's something I'm missing where they do discount a few bucks, but it sure looks to me like the only discounted options package currently offered is called 'GTS'.

In the bigger picture this car seems to be one more sign of shortening development times. The last GTS came out at the end of the 997. This one comes out at the end of the 991.1. Its a trend that favors more features like RWS finding their way into a 991.2, sooner rather than later.

Yes only PASM which is already standard on S models.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911

totally agree! and yes it says PASM (but I wonder if SPASM will be a coupe option)
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

That's too bad. These could have been very special (as in great) variants of the 911. Instead it is the same old Porsche "parts bin clearance" story.

"Let's shove alcantara seats and center lock wheels down their throats until all external warehouses holding the gazillion excess center lock wheels are cleared out. And we can strip the chrome stuff off the remaining 50th rear grill and put the black grills on the GTS so we cab get rid of [edited for clarification of my tongue in cheek comment] those parts out too. Americans, they will buy anything! Ha ha ha!"
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I for one disagree that the 50th will be seen as more desirable down the line. It's simply an uglier car and it wasn't exactly a sales success considering it sat on the lot for an extended period of time at numerous dealers around me. Is the 996 "millennium edition" more desirable today? With that I rest my case
Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
That's too bad. These could have been very special (as in great) variants of the 911. Instead it is the same old Porsche "parts bin clearance" story.

"Let's shove alcantara seats and center lock wheels down their throats until all external warehouses holding the gazillion excess center lock wheels are cleared out. And we can strip the chrome stuff off the remaining 50th rear grill and clear those parts out too. Americans, they will buy anything! Ha ha ha!"
Where are you seeing the 50th rear grill chrome? Seems like it's blacked out to me. Do you really prefer the look of the 2S with that cavernous space of nothing that they tried to take up with tacky P O R S C H E?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
I for one disagree that the 50th will be seen as more desirable down the line. It's simply an uglier car and it wasn't exactly a sales success considering it sat on the lot for an extended period of time at numerous dealers around me. Is the 996 "millennium edition" more desirable today? With that I rest my case
+1 not a fan
Old 10-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Where are you seeing the 50th rear grill chrome? Seems like it's blacked out to me. Do you really prefer the look of the 2S with that cavernous space of nothing that they tried to take up with tacky P O R S C H E?
+1
Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My "tongue in cheek" reference the the 50th grills was to remove the chrome and use the black part (ribs) on the GTS. Obvoiusly, I didn't define that process clearly enough. I have edited my original post.

IMO, the original black grills didn't look good on the air cooled 911 and they don't look any better on the water cooled 911.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 PM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was holding off my GT3 order to wait for the press release of this car. A bit disappointed as well. It feels like a big bowl of fried rice with a lot of leftover lobsters, shrimps and Kobe beef at a valued price. I agree there are no new technology here. It's a high powered car which is practical but I think a GT3 is more attractive.

Quick Reply: GTS MODELS ARE ANNOUNCED!