Sponsored by:

GTS MODELS ARE ANNOUNCED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:25 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Hmmm, doesn't look any different than mine. Kind of disappointed. It's a 4s with sport design front end and black headlights with black tailpipes. Was hoping it would have a few more changes like the cayman GTS front end does. Seems to just be some package items grouped together for a little discount. I understand being excited for it if you don't already have a 991 but certainly not worth upgrading too. Just my 2 cents.
Looks fantastic compared to my 991. The Sport design front end is fine; but I think the sport design rear looks hideous -- this car fixes that.

Seems like it's taking all the best parts of the 991 and selling them at a fantastic price point. I'm guessing deviated stitching will be cheaper, LED headlights will be cheaper since PDLS is already included, etc....

If it's worth it or not to upgrade to me depends on if it's really the last N/A 911.

The only thing is I wish it had came with the Macan steering wheel.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:26 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
So we have:

- wide 4S chassis
- X51 w/PSE & Sports Chrono
- PASM
- CL Wheels
- Sport Design front facia
- Sport Design mirrors
- matte exhaust tips
- PDLS 'smoked'
- Alacantara interior
- GTS engine cover
Seems like a decent value if the MRSP are accurate.
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
It's really growing on me ...

Gotta ask though: I really love the look of Alcantera but I noticed many seem to hate it. How come? Is it really hard to maintain or something?
I have it in my GT3 ... I like it.

I dont see any "GTS" interior (stitching) pkg like the Cayman/Boxster GTS.
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
It's really growing on me ...

Gotta ask though: I really love the look of Alcantera but I noticed many seem to hate it. How come? Is it really hard to maintain or something?
Can't get ventilated seats; leather (I feel) is easier to care for. The no ventilated seats is a deal breaker for me, having had them in my Boxster.
That, the center lock wheels and no reversing camera is why I didn't try for a GT3 slot.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
Can't get ventilated seats; leather (I feel) is easier to care for. The no ventilated seats is a deal breaker for me, having had them in my Boxster.
That, the center lock wheels and no reversing camera is why I didn't try for a GT3 slot.
hoping seat ventilation and reversing camera will be options ... cant see why not ...

be interesting to see the options list when it posts
Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
Looks fantastic compared to my 991. The Sport design front end is fine; but I think the sport design rear looks hideous -- this car fixes that.

Seems like it's taking all the best parts of the 991 and selling them at a fantastic price point.

If it's worth it or not to upgrade to me depends on if it's really the last N/A 911.
I think the answer to that depends upon the next generation of emissions stds etc and if an N.A 9A1 can meet them ... if not expect turbos.

Originally Posted by destaccado
The only thing is I wish it had came with the Macan steering wheel.
I hear ya, but its not a deal breaker for me ... at least its not the MF wheel!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

I have it in my GT3 ... I like it.

I dont see any "GTS" interior (stitching) pkg like the Cayman/Boxster GTS.
From the picture you posted it looks like it does. Has carbon trim and deviating stitching with GTS on the headrests like the Cayman GTS.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Just spoke with my dealer. I have dibs on the first allocation for the Edmonton Dealership .
Old 10-07-2014, 08:34 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Someone recently described past GTS models as Porsche emptying out their parts bin.

It seems they've done exactly that with these models.
Now would we feel comfortable forking out a pretty bundle, knowing that the 991.2 facelift is 9-12 months away?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interior shot...
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Options $ probably similar to the 911-50 in the on-line config., excluding of course , standard stuff the
GTS comes with.
mrsmitty
Instructor

Originally Posted by duxsi
Someone recently described past GTS models as Porsche emptying out their parts bin.

It seems they've done exactly that with these models.
Now would we feel comfortable forking out a pretty bundle, knowing that the 991.2 facelift is 9-12 months away?
Yes, especially if this is the last NA 911.
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Nice Larry! Exciting!
I love it!
What do you think of the rear deck lid now? I know you were worried... I think it looks perfect! It kind of reminds me of the 964 deck lid.
A manual too! I freakin love it!
How about 5 lugs? Does anyone know?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsmitty
Yes, especially if this is the last NA 911.
I feel like it almost has to be considering they're releasing the GTS pre-facelift and all the 991.2/992's test cars appear to be turbos.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I really wonder if it will have the "350Z" exhaust or not ... I'm betting that it will not, since I think that will be a facelift feature ... but only time will tell ...
Originally Posted by WernerE
If the GST abandons the quad PFS in favor or center pipes (as rumored), I'll be quite content to keep my 50th (and special paint and seats).
Originally Posted by Aerowerke
Most important question is will the GT3's upgraded steering calibration be included for the GTS. If they don't it would be a major disappointment. I would assume they will hopefully.
Originally Posted by Z356
I agree with some here that the new dual exhaust (photo #1) that of some of you don't think looks good will likely be a .2 991 facelift feature and not on this late '15 model! If indeed we are getting a part's bin exercise for this late .1 991 GTS model with a standard .1 991 powerkit option, I doubt they would go through the trouble of designing a new exhaust for such a limited run of cars!

By the way Werner, switching from the '14 50th Anniversary to the '15 GTS makes no sense from any point of view for a Porsche aficionado. From a 'collectable' or 'rare aesthetics' point of view, the 50th Anniversary will be the more desirable model down the road! And the performance will be the probably the same as the GTS. So keeping your 50th is a no-brainer!

I don't think we will see any technical improvement over the current MY2015 regular 991 in this late intro .1 GTS model.

So it begs the question in what model(s) will PAG allow the new technology first introduced in the 2014 991 gt3 (some of it also later introduced in the top-of-the-line 911 Turbo) to trickle-down-into? Will it be some 'lesser' models AFTER the facelift in MY2016? I am talking here about PDK-Sport, upgraded steering calibrations, Rear Axle Steering, etc. I don't anticipate we will see a MY2016 .2 991 gt3. If that model continues (depends on Euro Cycle 6 emissions & new US regulations), it will most likely re-appear as a MY2017 in .2 facelift form! But technology is moving so quickly (Porsche will need next to concentrate on the mid-engine 960/988 platform as that is the 'FE-Fi' - Ferrari Fighter - designed to be more competitive at the track than the current 911-based gt3 platform!) that it makes little sense NOT to integrate this brilliant technology developed for the more expensive .1 gt3/Turbo (actually some came out of the 918 program!) models into the regular .2 991's for what little remains of this chassis cycle (MY2016, MY2017, My2018 at minimum). In my opinion, it's simple a case of 'use it or loose it'. And I will bet they'll use it to breath new interest & life into the .2 991 (or 992 - whatever they call it). So, it would not surprise me to see this innovative technology on some of the MY2016 .2 991 S model (at minimum)!

So although I am quite disappointed that this upcoming MY2015 GTS will not incorporate this newer gt3/Turbo technology, I am quite confident that we will soon see it on some of the 'standard' 991 models coming up next Spring with the .2 face lift MY2016!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*Turbo as currently define '911 Turbo and 911 Turbo S'. Potentially we will see 'smaller' Turbos in the .2 991 line-up but that is not what I am talking about reference to the other technology (Pdk Sport, RAS, etc).
you are right Eduardo.

Well, I take off the internet for 30 minutes to prepare the above response in an earlier thread....and the gts is officially introduced (photo 2 of its attractive but 'standard' sport exhaust) !

In any case, I want all of you to ponder what I wrote re: the gt3/Turbo technology and how it could probably be incorporated soon into some future MY2016 model. I believe that it's something to take into consideration as you decide whether or not to invest on this MY2015 .1 model (which I think looks good...except there is nothing truly innovative there!).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
At the Starbucks on the Crossroads with slow internet!

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: GTS MODELS ARE ANNOUNCED!