Sponsored by:

GTS MODELS ARE ANNOUNCED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:17 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I don't know why anyone would dislike the 50th. Its a lot easier to make an argument for the 50 being a special high-value retaining model than the GTS. They are similar in that both have X51, wide body, special interior materials, and wheels. (Which a lot of guys don't even like.) The 50 adds exclusive colors and trim, and totally ups the ante in being a one-off. There will be a GTS every time now. There will only ever be one 50.

Another thing I like about the 50, it doesn't try and be more than it is. Try and parse performance between the GTS, the 50, and any other decently optioned 991S, you are slicing it pretty thin. Yet slap "GTS" on the side and suddenly it "fills the gap" between the 991S and the GT3? Right. I mean, they are all good Porsches, but come on! You simply cannot fill that "gap" with Alcantara and center locks.
I'm just not a fan of *any* of the cosmetics, I dont like the colors, I dont like the wheels, I dont like the interior ... it doesn't mean its not a great car that others can love ... it just does not appeal to me cosmetically, and lets face it
the only differences between the 50th and the GTS are cosmetics, a badge
and (potentially) a limited production run (but then we dont know how many
GTS's will be built)
Old 10-08-2014, 02:18 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aerowerke
Another important question. Will the carbon bucket seats from the GT3/918 be an available option.
doubt it ... nor the GT3 variants ... but you never know.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:24 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing I like about the 50, it doesn't try and be more than it is. Try and parse performance between the GTS, the 50, and any other decently optioned 991S, you are slicing it pretty thin. Yet slap "GTS" on the side and suddenly it "fills the gap" between the 991S and the GT3? Right. I mean, they are all good Porsches, but come on! You simply cannot fill that "gap" with Alcantara and center locks.
I have not driven the GT3 so can't compare but the only thing missing from a sporty optioned 991 is low end torque between 2500-4500 rpm which X51 does not fill. To be honest I don't expect Porsche to address that as it becomes a positive by making the car very driveable in and around town. A hybrid would certainly add to the low end torque though.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:26 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
I agree it is disappointing in that there seems to be nothing "new" like RAS or PDKs, but hasn't Porsche almost always made the next car better? I simply don't want to wait another year. It looks like an excellent deal for anyone who likes alcantara and center lock wheels. I think it will even be a good deal for someone like me who wants leather and 5 bolts with the apparent discount on the the X51, sport design SW (though I really want a MFSW with paddles) and SD mirrors. Every time I clicked X51 on my C4S build, my final price went into the mid $150s. I'm thinking (hoping) this price structure so far will bring the final tag a tad under $150.
Originally Posted by gota911
That's too bad. These could have been very special (as in great) variants of the 911. Instead it is the same old Porsche "parts bin clearance" story.

"Let's shove alcantara seats and center lock wheels down their throats until all external warehouses holding the gazillion excess center lock wheels are cleared out. And we can strip the chrome stuff off the remaining 50th rear grill and put the black grills on the GTS so we cab get rid of [edited for clarification of my tongue in cheek comment] those parts out too. Americans, they will buy anything! Ha ha ha!"
Originally Posted by drmatara
+1
Originally Posted by ggreg911
+1
Totally agree! Nice option package...nothing more.

Turbo is my next move.
Guys, guys, where have you been, you're disappointed? really? have you bothered to read any of the threads prior to the press release, the car was as predicted by many of us, and followed its 997 predecessor in philosophy ... ok so its a 'parts bin special' with some custom trim - ahem 50th and so many
other Porsche products ...

get a grip on yourselves ... flights of fancy that somehow it might inherit GT3 componentry but remain somehow not a GT3 at a GT3 pricepoint were just not realistic... psychotropic enhancement aside.

This is a great 911 if you wanted a wide body, with X51 and some additional cosmetics at a discount to the ala carte specs... if you want a GT3 ... drop
GT3 money.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:29 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I don't know why anyone would dislike the 50th. Its a lot easier to make an argument for the 50 being a special high-value retaining model than the GTS. They are similar in that both have X51, wide body, special interior materials, and wheels. (Which a lot of guys don't even like.) The 50 adds exclusive colors and trim, and totally ups the ante in being a one-off. There will be a GTS every time now. There will only ever be one 50.

C'mon Chuck, dont be naive ... its called 'marketing' ... and Porsche is a master of it, just look at the number of 911 variants it offers... one pretty
much for every pocket book.

The GTS is "nothing more than it is" - a wide body with an X51 and some cosmetics that are discounted ... its not a GT3, its not aTurbo ... its not
equiped with a "Mr Fusion"... but its still a pretty nice car.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm just not a fan of *any* of the cosmetics, I dont like the colors, I dont like the wheels, I dont like the interior ... it doesn't mean its not a great car that others can love ... it just does not appeal to me cosmetically, and lets face it
the only differences between the 50th and the GTS are cosmetics, a badge
and (potentially) a limited production run (but then we dont know how many
GTS's will be built)
That's exactly why you have GTS. Numbers will be limited as 991.1 production run will come to an end next year. For the record I was at a dealership last month and saw a 997 GTS, the sales guy said that they are very popular but they don't get many in - that must be good for resale I guess.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mondrian
That's exactly why you have GTS. Numbers will be limited as 991.1 production run will come to an end next year. For the record I was at a dealership last month and saw a 997 GTS, the sales guy said that they are very popular but they don't get many in - that must be good for resale I guess.
I dont recall (do you) how long was the 997 GTS run?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I dont recall (do you) how long was the 997 GTS run?
Porsche introduced the .2 997 Carrera GTS at the 2010 Paris Auto Show in October as a late MY2011 & it was continued as a MY2012 (also an abbreviated run).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-08-2014, 03:53 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I haven't discussed prices yet with my dealer. They always take good care of me. A little over a month ago I ordered a 2015 911S, but backed out a few days later when rumors began to fly about the GTS. They were giving me 7% off sticker on that car. I'm now #1 on their GTS list. My current lease expires in March so the timing works out quite nicely.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS
Let us know what discount if any you get.

But, that's the thing about the GTS… You save on some of the options, i.e. X51, but you give it back by getting less of a discount. I assume GTS's will get close to MSRP vs. the 7-8% off some are getting off "regular" C2S's. That's not an inconsequential amount.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:58 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Guys, guys, where have you been, you're disappointed? really? have you bothered to read any of the threads prior to the press release, the car was as predicted by many of us, and followed its 997 predecessor in philosophy ... ok so its a 'parts bin special' with some custom trim - ahem 50th and so many
other Porsche products ...

get a grip on yourselves ... flights of fancy that somehow it might inherit GT3 componentry but remain somehow not a GT3 at a GT3 pricepoint were just not realistic... psychotropic enhancement aside.

This is a great 911 if you wanted a wide body, with X51 and some additional cosmetics at a discount to the ala carte specs... if you want a GT3 ... drop
GT3 money.
I want a GT3 and am willing to pay GT3 money but I'm pretty sure Porsche stopped making it in 2011. If I'm stuck without a new GT3 I might as well buy the car with some utility.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silvertige
Let us know what discount if any you get.

But, that's the thing about the GTS… You save on some of the options, i.e. X51, but you give it back by getting less of a discount. I assume GTS's will get close to MSRP vs. the 7-8% off some are getting off "regular" C2S's. That's not an inconsequential amount.
I doubt it. It isn't a limited production run and I think the 6-8% discounts that people typically get will still be doable. If not I think this car is gonna sit. I wouldn't pay MSRP for it.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:07 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Larry Cable Wrote:
(but then we dont know how many
GTS's will be built)
I do, they will build as many as you guys buy. Until the 991.2/992 comes out they will build a GTS for every customer out there.

As far as the 50th goes, whether you like it or not, it generates more stares, looks and comments than any other 911 I have had. People see the 50 back there and they all start talking. They all have a 911 story they want to share. This is something I had NO anticipation for at all. Sometimes I feel like I am the caretaker of something special like the Stanley Cup or something similar. But I try to be polite and answer all the questions and listen to all the stories. Non Porsche people love the damn thing.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Larry Cable Wrote:

I do, they will build as many as you guys buy. Until the 991.2/992 comes out they will build a GTS for every customer out there.

As far as the 50th goes, whether you like it or not, it generates more stares, looks and comments than any other 911 I have had. People see the 50 back there and they all start talking. They all have a 911 story they want to share. This is something I had NO anticipation for at all. Sometimes I feel like I am the caretaker of something special like the Stanley Cup or something similar. But I try to be polite and answer all the questions and listen to all the stories. Non Porsche people love the damn thing.
991's get a lot of attention period. The 991 is one of the best looking 911's ever made IMHO. I'm not saying the 50th isn't a desirable car -- but I see it closely following the value of the 991 Carrera pretty much forever.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

So we have:
- wide 4S chassis
- X51 w/PSE & Sports Chrono
- PASM
- CL Wheels
- Sport Design front facia
- Sport Design mirrors
- matte exhaust tips
- PDLS 'smoked'
- Alacantara interior
- GTS engine cover
In addition to the above, the porscheusa site states that sportdesign steering wheel is standard. The site also states that SportsBucket seats will be an optional.

Amazing to think that I can move from a C4S Cab to a GTS 2 Cab and save at least a couple thousand bucks (if Jalopnik's base price is correct). And I get the powerkit thrown in as well! I've never felt as though I was getting a bargain from Porsche before!! I'M IN!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 05:14 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I have had the exact same experience, during the course of my ownership I have seen 3 GT3's, a few more 991's but no 50th. I get compliments from every petrolhead be it Porsche independents, detailers (actually commented that it was the best finish of any new car he had seen). In actual fact they guys I store the car with for winter felt obliged to comment on it on their twitter feed - a huge compliment when they also have GT3RS4's, vintage Bugatti's, 512 Boxer, one-off Astons + 100 more desireable cars that they never commented on!

Quick Reply: GTS MODELS ARE ANNOUNCED!