991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Vs 991S

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014 | 08:50 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

In 2006 I bought a new base 911 and really liked it. In 2010 I bought a new 911S and really, really liked it. In 2013 when I traded again the base was never a consideration.

The moral of the story is if you never drive an S you will really like the base.
Old 05-16-2014 | 09:31 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
Not to go off subject but I driven a caymen s at the dealer the other day.
It's spelled "Cayman". And yes, they are nice cars.

I was told that the 991 will depreciate less then 981.
I believe that this is an accurate statement, percentage-wise. Dollar-wise, maybe not.

I buy based on cost to own more then cost to buy. Plus I will buy one that is a 12.5 or 13 versus brand new. Any thoughts?
It depends - you'll save a lot of money buying used, but you may also be buying more options than you need, and lease rates are usually not as generous. I prefer to order my cars and get exactly what I want, no more, no less. I guess it depends if you are all about the money or all about the car.

By the way. I was bitten by the stingray bug but my heart keeps coming back to porsche.
I considered the Corvette until I took a good look at it. I've owned four Corvettes (C4x2, C5 Z06 and C6) so I'm very familiar with them. The new one just looks too... I dunno, there's too much going on. I don't care for it. That's me. You cannot beat the Chevy for pure performance value (horsepower/dollar) but if you drive one and compare it to the driving experience of a Porsche, really, there is no comparison.
Old 05-16-2014 | 11:20 AM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Originally Posted by petee1997
In 2006 I bought a new base 911 and really liked it. In 2010 I bought a new 911S and really, really liked it. In 2013 when I traded again the base was never a consideration.

The moral of the story is if you never drive an S you will really like the base.
That really goes without saying though. The only time we appreciate less is when they charge us more. We are paying for exclusivity because I assure you only a small portion of folks can rationalize the performance differences of 50 more horsepower and a few minimal driving dynamics when you consider these cars are driven mostly in traffic. Lol. I'm cool with that. And ironically a base 911 is far more rare than the S. The S is ubiquitous where I live. When I had my e92 M3...I opted for the "18 rims as everyone got both the competition package rims and "19s. Seeing an M3 with stock rims was refreshing.
Old 05-16-2014 | 11:22 AM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ray S
No one needs an "S" (heck, no one even needs a 911). But the desire for just a little more and a little better pulls at each of us and often we bite. Well done Porsche!

The upgrades Porsche adds to these cars are meaningful in my opinion but we pay through the teeth for them. I'd bet the $15K upcharge Porsche charges for a 991 to a 991S costs them about $2k (+/- $1K) to build into the cars.

Just my opinion, ymmv......
You are spot on, there is a diff between this cars and everyone knows that, choosing between these cars is just personal needs and satisfaction. At the end of the day, you are the owner of a beautiful 911 no matter what flavor. Everyone else opinion is and should be miles away, your opinion is the only thing that matter. That different in $15k is just an upgrade in performance, not personal character. Can we all move on now
Old 05-16-2014 | 12:11 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

I have never seen a more sensitive group as Porsche owners, which I find bizarre. Complaining that somebody doesn't wave back, this whole debate, to "my car got rained on what should I do?"

What is it with this group that craves validation for their purchases, and suffers from insecurities? Porsche driver should have ***** and not give a f@ck what other people think. It's depressing.
Old 05-16-2014 | 01:01 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I have never seen a more sensitive group as Porsche owners, which I find bizarre. Complaining that somebody doesn't wave back, this whole debate, to "my car got rained on what should I do?"

What is it with this group that craves validation for their purchases, and suffers from insecurities? Porsche driver should have ***** and not give a f@ck what other people think. It's depressing.
i reserve the wave for when i'm on the bike. i'm way too busy drinking a mocha and taking selfies when i drive. you guys need to get your priorities in check
Old 05-16-2014 | 01:04 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I have never seen a more sensitive group as Porsche owners, which I find bizarre. Complaining that somebody doesn't wave back, this whole debate, to "my car got rained on what should I do?" What is it with this group that craves validation for their purchases, and suffers from insecurities? Porsche driver should have ***** and not give a f@ck what other people think. It's depressing.
Sent from mobile using Rennlist
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014 | 01:13 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I find the newer the model the more shallow the topics in the technical forums. This forum (as with the others) will mature as the 991 ages.

There are exceptions of course as the 944 & 928 forums get a little loopy from time to time.
Old 05-17-2014 | 02:30 PM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chiboy
I have a base and recently test drove a local 991S for a friend who bought the car long distance. It was a short test drive, but I did not regret "only" getting a base car when I got back in mine. The standard brakes in a 911 are awesome and 350hp is more than enough for me. I can see the benefit (to me) of having an S if I was going to track it, but those days are over. For me, the base provides a thrilling driving experience. For others who track their cars, or really appreciate 400 hp vs. 350 around town, the upgrade will be worth it. I imagine there are similar discussions about the S vs. the 50th Anniversary 425hp car. Porsche sure does know how to slice and dice a market!
Agreed. I have a base, and with sports chrono and PDk it makes up for a lot. It feels plenty fast and sounds amazing.
Old 05-17-2014 | 05:28 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by Galion
IMO in congested cities with stop and go traffic is where the "S" really shines, more torque down low is what makes the drive more enjoyable, none is a torque monster, both need to be revved to fully appreciate their full potential, but the "S" feels a bit faster when your are not driving like an idiot arround town.
I had both, and on the track, they were very fast, scary fast, I couldnt feel a difference.
Drive on the 405 freeway at 5:00PM on a Friday. Cannot imagine that an "S" will be more enjoyable...
Old 05-17-2014 | 05:50 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Hi All, First off, thanks for everyone's input on this fascinating topic. It is most educational and interesting to hear everyone's input about the S vs non S.

I am looking to get my first Porsche in the next 6-12 months. I plan on getting a pre owned beauty as my budget will not allow for a new car. While I would love to get an S, I plan on using this car as a daily driver and never for any track use. As such, I am leaning toward the non S version.

As a "never have owned a Porsche" person, it is indeed very helpful reading all the posts from members, especially knowing who has and has not owned each car. I am coming from an old e39 BMW so any Porsche is going to be much faster and lighter than my BMW.

Prior to owning my BMW, I had a Corvette. I remember going through all the forums about whether the Z51 option was a necessity. Needless to say, there was opinions both ways. I ultimately ended up without the Z51 but never gave it a second thought as I just loved the car the way its was.

I think that is what will happen with my first Porsche. With our without the S Model, I am sure it will be loved and I will be happy. I am a keeper of cars and not a fast driver so I know any Porsche will be more than I will be able to really use.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I know for many members this blog may be spinning wheels, but for us novices, a great educational tool!
Old 05-17-2014 | 06:22 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdelrosario
Hi All, First off, thanks for everyone's input on this fascinating topic. It is most educational and interesting to hear everyone's input about the S vs non S.

I am looking to get my first Porsche in the next 6-12 months. I plan on getting a pre owned beauty as my budget will not allow for a new car. While I would love to get an S, I plan on using this car as a daily driver and never for any track use. As such, I am leaning toward the non S version.

As a "never have owned a Porsche" person, it is indeed very helpful reading all the posts from members, especially knowing who has and has not owned each car. I am coming from an old e39 BMW so any Porsche is going to be much faster and lighter than my BMW.

Prior to owning my BMW, I had a Corvette. I remember going through all the forums about whether the Z51 option was a necessity. Needless to say, there was opinions both ways. I ultimately ended up without the Z51 but never gave it a second thought as I just loved the car the way its was.

I think that is what will happen with my first Porsche. With our without the S Model, I am sure it will be loved and I will be happy. I am a keeper of cars and not a fast driver so I know any Porsche will be more than I will be able to really use.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I know for many members this blog may be spinning wheels, but for us novices, a great educational tool!
Welcome to Rennlist.
Old 05-17-2014 | 06:34 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Drive on the 405 freeway at 5:00PM on a Friday. Cannot imagine that an "S" will be more enjoyable...

No doubt about this and if you haven't been there you have no idea. How about yesterdays 100 deg. with no breeze? Damn.

At 5-10 mph on the 405 I couldn't tell you if I was in an S or non S. I can't see my 4 tailpipes at 5 mph and it wouldn't matter anyway.

Even if my life was 90% out on the highway and 10% in traffic it still wouldn't matter. They are both the same car with guys like us driving. If I'm Shumi would I be able to do something different with this car? Yes but look at that situation now. It just goes to show life is short and Rennlist is entertaining to say the least.

This is why the rear of my car just says this.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-17-2014 | 07:09 PM
rpilot
Pro

I think I will second Nicoli's toast to this post. There are a handful here who I still respect as Porsche owners, so they are excluded from this, but I do agree with you in general.
Old 05-18-2014 | 12:21 PM
fast1
Race Car

An invalid but perfectly understandable perception is that most others share our attitudes and values. Having owned 911s for over 40 years, I have found that most Porsche owners are sports car enthusiasts and take a great deal of pride in their Porsches regardless of model. But there are others who buy a Porsche as a status symbol. This latter group is far less likely than the former to wave or even acknowledge a wave from another Porsche owner.

Moreover, there are many people who simply don't value what Porsche offers. To this group a car that offers comfort and almost complete isolation from the road is what they value. So a $90K Lexus LS 460 is the car that they buy, and they are completely baffled as to why anyone would spend $125K+ on a compact car that offers little in the way of comfort.

Bottom line is that those who buy a Porsche to impress others will likely be disappointed, since as incredible as it may be to members of this forum, there are many people who don't care for Porsches for a variety of reasons.

Quick Reply: 991 Vs 991S