Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 04:24 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
The computer can only decide on shifting strategy in a reactive way on sensor inputs. Humans are way better on this because we can do it proactively based on what we see. Computer in our 991 today can not see forward like humans can.
Larry Ellison has built a sailboat that learns where to put the sails according to weather, wind, seas, current, and heading. It has been proven that after it learns any situation, it can actually set sails more effectively than a human can. And that is on the open sea with tons of variables.

So after 1 lap around a race track, that same style computer could easily choose gears better than a human could.
And with laser guided vehicles already on the streets, it could avoid accidents better than a human too.

<Insert video here>
Old 11-30-2013, 04:31 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
I'm not surprised. I asked the question elsewhere in this space. Only one person responded, a PDK supporter that wore a mechanical watch "for aesthetics", while criticizing people that wanted to drive a manual transmission "for aesthetics" arguing only that a PDK is faster around track.
Wrong, I recall that, I answered we keep up with tech and use phone and computers for clock reading. Watches are fashion accessories that lost their main function. I never wear watches.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Wrong, I recall that, I answered we keep up with tech and use phone and computers for clock reading.
You must have confused me with someone else. I posed my question previous in this thread and you did not participate.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
You must have confused me with someone else. I posed my question previous in this thread and you did not participate.
Can't seem to follow the link ... But if that's the case, I was confused by a similar case, my mistake, I beg your pardon !
Old 11-30-2013, 04:43 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So to recap, don't trust the machines! I'm going out to the garage to murder my 991 right down. Die, bitch. Die. It all started with PDK. Gods damn it. My PDK has been adapting to my driving. Sick.

<Too corny. How do I delete this post? Ah, clean up on aisle 5 please.>
Old 11-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Can't seem to follow the link ... But if that's the case, I was confused by a similar case, my mistake, I beg your pardon !
No worries. Someone may have made the reference in this thread earlier, but it wasn't me. I haven't followed the entire thread, I just peek back in when I want to be entertained.

I did a quick search, here is the earlier exchange.
Originally Posted by rglbegl
So I was wondering;
Does everyone who drives the PDK wear a digital watch?

They are faster to tell time by .1 seconds, they are the way of the future. . . . . . .
No we've moved on with new tech and look at the clock on our computer or smarthpone !

Watches are only jewelry now ! Just like ...
Apologies for the not rare enough intrathread pseudo-enzo (I'm not sure asking the same question can be considered an enzo).

Also, the OT threads are only for paid members, so you wouldn't be able to access that thread. I didn't notice your status when I posted a link or I would have pointed that out.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:16 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

The computer can only decide on shifting strategy in a reactive way on sensor inputs. Humans are way better on this because we can do it proactively based on what we see ahead. Computer in our 991 today can not see ahead like humans can.
Fascinating. Tell me more about humans seeing the future. Will thread will die first, MT or C7?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
If logic worked on MT lovers....
Captain Kirk vs NOMAD - YouTube
Actually Chuck I believe this video is more relevant to PDK rather than MT.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:31 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Particularly since the video is fiction. Bahahahaha!

MT will die first. Sad but true. Oh well, time must move forward for now, until synthetic credit default swaps bring down the whole system. Then we will all be eating cat food.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Don't cross the threads!
Cross the streams - YouTube
Love this. "Let's split up." "Yeah, we can do more damage that way."
Old 11-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Particularly since the video is fiction. Bahahahaha!

MT will die first. Sad but true. Oh well, time must move forward for now, until synthetic credit default swaps bring down the whole system. Then we will all be eating cat food.
Hey! That's how half the folks on this forum can afford Porsches! I have a reverse spider put on mbs futures pending.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14 . . . page 14. Wow!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:54 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Let's double it. Hey, anybody know why the Veyron isn't available with MT? What the hell, right?

Damn Molshiemers pulling people into the 21st century by their ears. Not fair. Good wine though. Ah, I miss the route des vin d'Alsace. Good times. Good driving times.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:27 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Let's double it. Hey, anybody know why the Veyron isn't available with MT? What the hell, right?
It can only be because Bugatti arrogantly assumes they know more about cars than their customers. Probably for no other reason than they happen to manufacture, uh, you know, cars.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:08 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Well, that's a pretty lame excuse. They must think the Veyron is a driver's car benchmark or something. Arrogant fools! Dilettantes!

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?