Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rglbegl
^^ You drive a manual, you are a passenger behind the wheel in an automatic (but If you spend 1/3 of your time out of gear, you need an auto my friend) You would have to have rocks in your head to want to drive a sports car with an auto tranny.
Get some high performance driving lessons. Than come back again and see if you feel the same about MT vs PDK !
Old 11-03-2013, 09:40 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^

I guess it is in Porsche's best interest to cater to the newly rich ignoramus who doesn't even know how to use a clutch. They do have money, and they do buy cars . . . . .

$0.02
Why can't civility prevail here? Is this kind of language or attitude necessary? If you feel the need to put down a new Turbo buyer, then there is a fair case to be made that you are NOT one of those buyers. ie: You look for one in the preowned market. And you still blame Porsche for producing PDK only Turbo Cars? Their new car buyers probably mostly want PDK.

This is the same nonsense I see on other forums sometimes. Like the car guy classic, "a manual diesel station wagon", except they all want to buy a well depreciated one, not a brand new 35K VW or a 55K BMW.

Similarly a NEW Turbo buyer willing to spend close to 200K on a Turbo S is either ...

A) A retired or semi-retired individual with time to indulge his/her passions OR

B) A successful businessperson or professional, for whom time is of the essence and in all likelihood drives that Turbo / S whenever he/she drive themselves and PDK is great as a DD.

going back to A)... more folks drive cars for fun in that category and a C2S or C4S with a MT if they prefer for a fun car suffices. For a turbo fan, the other poster is correct, reflexes and agility are not the same for everyone and do dull with age (please do not take this the wrong way anyone) and it is quite plausible that you are spending 1/3 of the time from 0-100 out of gear, so a PDK makes perfect sense to most if not all of them after a good test drive. There will always be an outlier but like I said earlier, the small market (ie: the percentage of buyers who buy a NEW turbo) does not justify the development, manufacturing, supply chain and parts warehousing costs for two decades for a MT.

And if you don't like it... good, buy something else.

Last edited by rpilot; 11-03-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 AM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by smuoio
Does anyone really believe Porsche will not offer a MT option at all, the next model revision? Does anyone believe a surprise MT GT3 (or Turbo) is eventually forthcoming? I must say that practically, as a newcomer to Porsche, one committed to a stick, I am having one hell of a time deciding to plunk down the $$$$ for a maxed out C4S given the potential answers to the above two questions.
If you want a MT, buy the C4S and be happy. Life is short. Enjoy your weekend drives.

But if it is a turbo you want, why don't you take a test drive with a PDK Turbo when available at your dealer back to back with a C4S MT and decide for yourself.

I seriously doubt Porsche is going to make a MT Turbo in the future.

Last edited by rpilot; 11-03-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

I think what cracks me up the most are the pro manual folks that see using a clutch as some elitist art form, reserved for only that special group of people that can actually achieve a smooth double clutch heel toe rev match....... Hate to break it to you, it's not that hard.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Art Caputo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=smuoio;10876602]
Originally Posted by 008

Does anyone really believe Porsche will not offer a MT option at all, the next model revision? Does anyone believe a surprise MT GT3 (or Turbo) is eventually forthcoming? I must say that practically, as a newcomer to Porsche, one committed to a stick, I am having one hell of a time deciding to plunk down the $$$$ for a maxed out C4S given the potential answers to the above two questions.
This may happen. I recently sold my 997 GT3 instantly, and at a price that I don't think I would have ever gotten prior to the announcement of the new model. Whatever the merits of either, I believe Porsche will find they are leaving a lot of $$$$ on the table. I think the dealers are feeding this back to them. Many GT3 users are not hard core racers, and just want a a non luxury version of the 911 to drive on the streets, participate in various club events, and replicate basic characteristics of the traditional Club Sports, RS Americas, and the earlier S models. A MT seems to a fundamental component that desire. At least in the US. IMO.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Originally Posted by bccars
Get some high performance driving lessons. Than come back again and see if you feel the same about MT vs PDK !
Does being a professional F2 and Indy driver count?
It was many years ago, so maybe I have forgotten everything I have ever learned and a brush up course would help. . . . . what little driving school did you attend? Would you suggest them to a friend?

I was racing when most teams began the switch from manual to auto. That may have contributed to my dislike of the auto systems.

And I still stand by my statement; In a passenger car that was built to be fun, a manual is much more engaging. Auto's are great for a grocery getter, if that is what you are in to.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

It was many years ago, so maybe I have forgotten everything I have ever learned and a brush up course would help. . . . . what little driving school did you attend? Would you suggest them to a friend?

I was racing when most teams began the switch from manual to auto. That may have contributed to my dislike of the auto systems.

And I still stand by my statement; In a passenger car that was built to be fun, a manual is much more engaging. Auto's are great for a grocery getter, if that is what you are in to.
Remarkable.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:29 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I think what cracks me up the most are the pro manual folks that see using a clutch as some elitist art form, reserved for only that special group of people that can actually achieve a smooth double clutch heel toe rev match....... Hate to break it to you, it's not that hard.
+1 .. been doing that the last 2 decades .. bored through my skull with that now .. moved on to PDK, next level, so much more to learn ..
Old 11-03-2013, 03:31 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

You are only fooling yourself I'm afraid !
Old 11-03-2013, 03:53 PM
rglbegl
Racer

You are only fooling yourself I'm afraid !
Don't be afraid.
Its okay to admit that you may not be the smartest person in the word on all subjects
But you are definitely entitled to your opinion.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 PM
rpilot
Pro

Don't be afraid.
Its okay to admit that you may not be the smartest person in the word on all subjects
Stop being a j*** .

Last edited by rpilot; 11-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Thanks for solidifying my point.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I'd like to know who the pro F2 and Indy driver's name is?

Cool.

Cool?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Rodbuster
Intermediate

When I was looking for a 911 Turbo, the 6 speed manual trans was a "must have". I bought what I wanted, which was a 6 speed Turbo-Cab. I drove a PDK Turbo, and much preferred the 6 speed trans. I figured when I moved on to the next Porsche, it would be a 991 Turbo. But seeing as how there is no 6 speed available in the 991 Turbo, I will not be considering purchasing one.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Never saw anyone respond to timmhaines concept of the dummy clutch. If Porsche modified PDK by adding a clutch pedal and MT type shifter so the driver would have all the same extra, er I mean involving stuff to do, then what would be the problem? PDK allows manual gear selection, just without operating a clutch pedal. If they add the clutch pedal back in, what's the problem?

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?