Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guards red vs. racing yellow

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:29 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe so in the States but in Europe dealers do not stock, everything is sold to order (beside a few showroom cars) and I can tell you most are black. Although Cocoa has been a good seller too.

aamersa, if you are thinking of replacing your car in 3 years I would advice a black interior. Both black and blue will get equally hot but you will sell a black int. car much easier and at a better price. Yellow/blue will be a small hit but red/blue will be a struggle to sell all together. You would be forced to drop the price a lot for anyone considering to accept that combo.

For exterior I would go with red, again considering you are only keeping the car for 3 years. Red is more popular on a 911 and the color is much appreciated on the new 991 among different Porsche forum users. Yellow too but less talked about than red.

I had the same problem as you, not able to decide between red and blue for my next new car. Just last week I was able to decide. My choice (of car and color):

Last edited by TT-911; 12-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Can someone tell me why black interior is so overwhelming popular in porsche? Black, it's fine, no issues with it, but what makes it so much more common than the other interiors?
I agree with the comments that it goes well with any interior color. As you can probably see from my signature I have Cocoa in my silver Carrera and Umber in my sand white Cayenne so I'm not stuck on black (my wife's silver Audi has black). Your original post was talking about either a Red or Yellow exterior and if you want a complimentary dark interior I think black (with exterior color accents) is the way to go.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have already advised my dealer and made the change to black interior. I didn't have a strong preference for blue and heat wise they are both the same so if black is safer, I am getting black interior.

As far as my original conflict or dilemma I continue to be marginally in favour of GR and will probably stick with that color. Again it is more classic and probably the safer of the two. Plus I like it. I like yellow too, but perhaps not enough to pass on the red. Plus I get a free match with brake calipers. Normally you have to pay to get wheels painted in exterior color. Here at least I'll get brake calipers in ext. color.

Does the fact that I wear more red t-shirts than yellow ones indicate my natural preference for red?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:38 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both colors are great exterior colors. For interior colors I agree with the what some have said here. The better combinations for resale are black, grey, dark grey, beige and the dark tan. One of the 911 twin turbos I had was dark blue outside and blue interior. It looked okay, but it was a problem on resale. Dealers gave me a hard time about it.

But in the end it is your car and you should get what you like best.

Cheers,
Old 10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Does the fact that I wear more red t-shirts than yellow ones indicate my natural preference for red?
LOL... you're going insane! Just pick the color you like better, then focus more on THE OPTIONS.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

I can't answer your dilemma with the outside color or that you wear red T-shirts more than yellow. I will say I have owned 911s in both colors. I have always been parcel to guards red. It looks terrific on a 911 and it is most likely going to be the color I order.

But again, it is your car and you need to get what makes you happiest.

Cheers,
Old 10-20-2011, 05:01 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Ok, what options do I need to be looking at that aren't already on my ordered list? Based on my analysis I've paid for everything worth paying for. I wasn't planning to add to that. The fact is that the new 991 S is a much more complete car with more standard options. So paying for options with few exceptions is really spurlging, not required.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:36 PM
pratas
Intermediate

Ok, what options do I need to be looking at that aren't already on my ordered list? Based on my analysis I've paid for everything worth paying for. I wasn't planning to add to that. The fact is that the new 991 S is a much more complete car with more standard options. So paying for options with few exceptions is really spurlging, not required.
Here is my order for your reference

911 Carrera S

Local standard equipment
-250- PDK
-567- Wind shield with grey scale
-635- ParkAssist rear (with TopView)
-692- 6-disc CD antochanger
-810- Floor mats
-P06- Sport seats (14 ways, electrical, incl. Memory-Package)
- Metallic Paint
- All Leather interior

Individualisation

N0 Agate Grey Metalic*
NE Natural Leather Espresso*
559 Window frames in high-gloss aluminum
636 ParkAssist front and rear
651 Electric slide/tilt sunroof
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors
P13 Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
639 Sport Chrono Package
658 Power steering plus
427 20" Carrera Classic wheel
446 Wheel Caps
483 TPM
XSH Seat belts in Silver-Grey
840 3-spoke sports steering wheel with shift paddles
XSC Porsche crest embossed on head restraints
XUV Lid of storage bin with logo

The exterior and interior colours are not firm yet and might add brushed aluminium interior package.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:45 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

off topic...the resale $ different between a speed yellow and a silver/black was $3K. This is what the dealer told when I tried to sell my 06 SY cab back in 2009. If people care so much about resale value of a $100K luxury item, maybe he/she shouldn't be buying one.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:36 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

As far as options go I am not inclined to pay for purely cosmetic stuff, I will be happy to stick with the standard stuff in that area. But any option that affects performance, driving or comfort I am willing to consider. Am I missing something important in this area?

About power steering plus, I am unsure as to how necessary it is or how it will work with a brand new electric steering wheel.

BTW, standard stuff in my local market includes electric sunroof and park assist rear.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 AM
pratas
Intermediate

As far as options go I am not inclined to pay for purely cosmetic stuff, I will be happy to stick with the standard stuff in that area. But any option that affects performance, driving or comfort I am willing to consider. Am I missing something important in this area?

About power steering plus, I am unsure as to how necessary it is or how it will work with a brand new electric steering wheel.

BTW, standard stuff in my local market includes electric sunroof and park assist rear.
They used to have sunroof, PCM, parkassist as standard for the 997 but not for the 991 anymore.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

It must vary by market, coz in Dubai PCM , parkassist rear and sunroof are indeed standard on the 991.

I was considering getting TPM which is standard in US (by law) but not in Dubai, but my salesperson told me to avoid it as it is problematic.

BTW, why don't porsche provide run flat tyres?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must vary by market, coz in Dubai PCM , parkassist rear and sunroof are indeed standard on the 991.

I was considering getting TPM which is standard in US (by law) but not in Dubai, but my salesperson told me to avoid it as it is problematic.

Because they are rubbish.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

TPMS is not standard? If not, its a must!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

What is else a must in non-cosmetic options? i.e.must have options that do more than just change looks?

Quick Reply: Guards red vs. racing yellow