Sponsored by:

Modifying 991.1 steering software

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 12:57 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
i did this tonight with my 2012.5 991.1 S and got the message 'steering support limited. possible to drive on'

so i went for a drive and the difference was immediately noticeable and much better. i switched back to normal, the message went away and the steering felt very heavy again.
put the gt3 back and decided to live with the message. transformative, really.
I wonder if you switch back to the aftersales mode on PIWIS if you can just clear the code. I'm curious what the actual code is.

Last edited by nhnguy12; 03-11-2023 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:22 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

does it have to be in 'normal mode' to read and clear codes?

i've only used this thing in developer mode for a few coding tweaks.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:38 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

does it have to be in 'normal mode' to read and clear codes?

i've only used this thing in developer mode for a few coding tweaks.
I'm sure you can clear codes in Engineering mode. It's just a lot easier to not have everything be in German if it doesn't need to be. And hopefully it'll tell you in English what the code means.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:41 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 277 Posts

I looked at the coding data from 991.2 with PIWIS 3 and there was an option to Manual code the module to other vehicle variant. Maybe someone can test that instead. 982 and 991.share a lot of modules. You can code a lot of features from this thread here. Let's share our knowledge

Old 03-11-2023, 09:45 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
I wonder if you switch back to the aftersales mode on PIWIS if you can just clear the code. I'm curious what the actual code is.
Probably same one as I am seeing, C11006, which as best I can tell means incomplete or bad coding. That’s why I’m not confident even driving it like this in “GT3” mode is even doing what it’s supposed to.

I tried messing around for a couple hours last night but didn’t get anywhere. Couldn’t get codes to clear in anything but C2/S. Tried to calibrate steering to get it to go away, swapped DSC in and out.

I think next step is find the module that stores this data which is proving difficult. I can’t tell if it’s on the EPS motor itself or tied in with something else.

Maybe someone more advanced than I can dump the firmware on a newer module and we can put it on ours. Or dump all the coding settings for the EPS module and maybe some other setting needs to be changed? Does the new EPS logic live on the module and our computers just say switch to another mode which our modules don’t have? As best I can tell right now is the module is on the EPS motor, but I can’t find a wiring diagram to confirm.

That being said, at least some of my modules know about stuff that was invented after my car was built (changed it back to C2S after, just a test)

Also a tip for PIWIS guys dealing with German language. Download the Google lens app, it will translate using your camera…

The “System Supplier ECU Hardware number” is the EPS motor…

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 03-11-2023 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DR911s (05-21-2024)
Old 03-11-2023, 11:19 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

i did this tonight with my 2012.5 991.1 S and got the message 'steering support limited. possible to drive on'

so i went for a drive and the difference was immediately noticeable and much better. i switched back to normal, the message went away and the steering felt very heavy again.
put the gt3 back and decided to live with the message. transformative, really.
Do you have PDCC option? I don’t suspect that’s issue but would be nice to see if there is a pattern
Old 03-11-2023, 11:23 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Probably same one as I am seeing, C11006, which as best I can tell means incomplete or bad coding. That’s why I’m not confident even driving it like this in “GT3” mode is even doing what it’s supposed to.

I tried messing around for a couple hours last night but didn’t get anywhere. Couldn’t get codes to clear in anything but C2/S. Tried to calibrate steering to get it to go away, swapped DSC in and out.

I think next step is find the module that stores this data which is proving difficult. I can’t tell if it’s on the EPS motor itself or tied in with something else.

Maybe someone more advanced than I can dump the firmware on a newer module and we can put it on ours. Or dump all the coding settings for the EPS module and maybe some other setting needs to be changed? Does the new EPS logic live on the module and our computers just say switch to another mode which our modules don’t have? As best I can tell right now is the module is on the EPS motor, but I can’t find a wiring diagram to confirm.

That being said, at least some of my modules know about stuff that was invented after my car was built (changed it back to C2S after, just a test)

--

Also a tip for PIWIS guys dealing with German language. Download the Google lens app, it will translate using your camera…

The “System Supplier ECU Hardware number” is the EPS motor…

but did you actually go for a drive with the GT3 map??? the steering feel is night and day. i couldn't care less if there is a little yellow steering wheel logo in my dash.

i'll check the actual code tonight, today is chore day with the wife.

this is the dash message that pops up, fyi:
Watson (11-18-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 11:26 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Do you have PDCC option? I don’t suspect that’s issue but would be nice to see if there is a pattern
no PDCC. no SPASM. no SC. no DSC. (disconnected at this time) just a basic S.

Last edited by jfischet; 03-11-2023 at 11:27 AM.
AdamSanta85 (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 12:11 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

but did you actually go for a drive with the GT3 map??? the steering feel is night and day. i couldn't care less if there is a little yellow steering wheel logo in my dash.
I wonder if the module just doesn't recognize where the calibration came from so it just assumes its bad code (hence the error) but runs the updated calibration anyways.
Old 03-11-2023, 12:27 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if the module just doesn't recognize where the calibration came from so it just assumes its bad code (hence the error) but runs the updated calibration anyways.
yes, i think that's correct. there is probably a checksum or something in the modules that kind of cascades up. there is probably a way to disable the warning but not sure it's worth the effort.

the warning popped up on the dash one second after i wrote the new map to memory.

a BIG thank you for this, btw!!
The following 2 users liked this post by jfischet:
nhnguy12 (03-11-2023), Watson (11-18-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 01:27 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

i connected back up tonight and the EPS_A2_2 control unit is showing the same error as AdamSanta85 is getting. C11006 Codierung
Old 03-12-2023, 01:51 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Updated my impressions on the GT3 EPS calibration:

Finally got the chance to take the car out to my favorite local road. Thought I’d provide a more comprehensive update after getting some more mileage in both daily and sporty driving conditions. I also thought I’d provide some extra background to provide some context for my observations.

The car:
2014 PDK Cayman S w/ 89k miles (~65k added by me)
Ohlins R/T coilovers (60/70 N/mm, 14 clicks from full stiff out of 20 adjustments)
X73 981 Boxster rear sway bar (981-333-703-14)
“Aggressive street” alignment (-1.5/1.8 camber, factory toe F/R)
Wevo SS transmission mounts
Sports Plus Mode (programmed with PIWIS 2)
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (~50% treadlife remaining)

The road:
Apache Trail (AZ 88)
An amazing road leading to nowhere with almost every type of corner imaginable. I typically try to arrive at first light to avoid any traffic from hikers/bikers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gRIyyMr1KE

The driver:
I would describe myself as a road trip and backroad enthusiast. My favorite way to enjoy the car is driving 6 or 7 tenths on scenic mountain roads. I am a complete novice when it comes to any sort of competitive-style driving.

The impressions:
As I mentioned in my early impressions, the first thing I noticed was the lighter off-center feel. I wanted to elaborate a bit more on this. Its not just simply a reduction in initial steering effort but it seems like there is overall less inertia in the steering than before. The wheel seems to be more eager to return on-center than before. The best way I can describe it is that the steering wheel feels more “springy” and less damped now. This gives the impression of more responsive steering that takes a little getting used to but is a welcome change for me.

I also initially thought that there was no change in road texture at the wheel. After driving on some familiar roads I do actually think I am getting additional information about the road surface. I would say the magnitude of any pulsations through the wheel is roughly the same as before. But since the off-center feel is lighter and less damped I think the feel is more “transparent” now if that makes any sense. Overall it is a more subtle change and I think would come down to a matter of personal preference. I’d have to drive back to back with a hydraulic rack to really know which I’d prefer.

The standout highlight for me is still how the steering wheel weights up as you load up the front axles. It is SO much more apparent than before. I would say that this aspect of the steering improves even more the harder you push the car, which is the opposite of what happened with the stock calibration. Special mention to fast sweepers and decreasing radius corners, where you can really feel the steering progressively load up. Quick transitions from right-to-left are also super satisfying as you can really feel the wheel go from loaded to unloaded and back to loaded. I would say this improvement alone is worth the price of admission (AKA buying a PIWIS 2 clone for ~500 bucks if you don’t already have one).

The conclusion:
I don’t think I have any reasons that I’d want to go back to the stock calibration. As I’ve mentioned before, the stock steering feel is not something that really bothered me, but the updated GT3 calibration is simply better. I would say steering feel was something I never really thought about in either a positive or negative way when driving my car. With the updated GT3 calibration the steering feel is now actively adding to the enjoyment of driving. I would highly recommend to find a way to try this out on your own cars and am curious to hear feedback from drivers with different levels of experience/skill.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:02 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

I’ve been doing some research and talking to people. I think we have two possible solutions for early 991.1 cars.

1. Update EPS module firmware
- Theoretically dealer can do this if they were so inclined
- Supposedly can be done with a PIWIS using a newer .pdx file. I have found instructions how to do this on other modules such as gauge cluster and TCU.

2. Replace module with one with newer firmware - this likely involves replacing power steering motor

I don’t have a PIWIS (yet) but updating EPS module is best choice IMO.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 03-12-2023 at 05:03 PM.
718socal (03-12-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 08:18 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

I’ve been doing some research and talking to people. I think we have two possible solutions for early 991.1 cars.

1. Update EPS module firmware
- Theoretically dealer can do this if they were so inclined
- Supposedly can be done with a PIWIS using a newer .pdx file. I have found instructions how to do this on other modules such as gauge cluster and TCU.

2. Replace module with one with newer firmware - this likely involves replacing power steering motor

I don’t have a PIWIS (yet) but updating EPS module is best choice IMO.
If you can figure out how to do this without physically changing the hardware that would be pretty great. I think everyone should update the calibration if that's the case.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:23 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 942 Likes on 525 Posts

@TPC Racing Tom, does the DSC work with the EPS system at all? I know Joe and I both have DSC's. We also both have PDCC which I wouldn't think would be the issue but...
I have not attempted any steering software change. Sorry, I don't know how its going to work out. If anyone wants to attempt to change the steering software I would suggest to make the change with the OEM PASM module connected to the car and then try out the change before reinstalling the DSC controller. Personally I'd play with camber, toe, and tire pressure if I wanted to change the car's turning behavior before I even think about steering software. But that's just me.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

desmotesta (03-13-2023)