Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS premium worth over S? Will the GTS hold value better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 12:55 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by KP993
RWD with wide body, pretty easy decision for me.
This was a big reason I'm in a GTS. RWD wide body.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 06:54 PM
sy1616
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
I would love to hear your many reasons for being a fan. Care to share? I can think of one reason someone might like it. Grip. But I can't think of many.
I really don't mind it on the seats. But do not like it anywhere else. Especially on the wheel and dash.
love it on my seats and headliner as well as the doorcards. My dash and wheel are full leather. Cleans up easily and gives a bit of warmth to the interior. All leather to me is too cold feeling. I prefer it in the winter too.
SConn (04-06-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 12:39 AM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You think the GTS vs. S premium is a bit steep, what about a GTS vs. a 50th AE? The 50th is basically the 991 GTS before it was available. The powerkit, the 2wd widebody, and a bunch of performance related options. It looks like the 50th are ~$15-20k more than a GTS.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:27 PM
thklinge
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sy1616
love it on my seats and headliner as well as the doorcards. My dash and wheel are full leather. Cleans up easily and gives a bit of warmth to the interior. All leather to me is too cold feeling. I prefer it in the winter too.
Same here, steering wheel is heated so I live fine with that. But drive off in an ice cold car with a sweet warm wheel, then reach for a paddle.. Auch!
Old 12-20-2021, 01:13 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
Comparing your C4S to a 4 GTS, I don’t see any differences performance / driving wise.
The only things I don’t know between S and GTS are :
- suspension components : any differences one the geometry?
- calibration of steering : is it different?
- calibration of ABS/ESP : is it more playful?
- springs and dampers : are they identically specified?
- brakes : are they the same size and type?
+991.
I don’t have the answers either but would be great to know.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:51 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 341 Posts

Go with your heart, get the GTS, that moniker will precipitate tears of grief to those less fortunate. And for you, if you don't buy, lease, steal the GTS, every time you see one, you'll kick yourself saying, "For a few bucks more, I could had the best of the best." There, there now, I feel better. Ypu'll get the wide body, the Sport Suspension, Sport PASM, and most likely BU camera and front sensors, and lots more.

On the monetary side , the Carrera GTS has a history of strong value, appreciating as it is.I sold (traded in) my 991.2 Carrera S on a 2017 Carrera GTS....no regrets. The vebiaage below is from an article I wrote for a local Porsche Club Magazine. I have left the strike outs and additions in place. I did have help on the article from several Renlisters. When the article has been published, their names all be mentioned as editors, if they agree to this..
As of now, I have only put about 500 miles on the 991.2 GTS car, and every mile has been a treat for me. It came with features that were not available to me incorporated into on my former 2013 991.1 Carrera S, such as, Lane Control Alert (LCA), that signals me the driverwith a horizontal red light array on the door sills, just aft of the “A” pillar, when a lane change is ill-advised. LCA seems to have a remarkably long range compared to other similarly equipped cars I have driven.

The car also has a backup camera that prior to the acquisition of the 991 GTS, I didn’t think I needed. After utilizing it for parking assistance, I do. It also has front parking sensors, too,helpful as the car is 20mm lower than the base Porsche cars lacking Sport Suspension. It looks like I may scrape off far fewer front splitters as a result. The car is equipped with Porsche Communications Management System (PCMS) , Sirius Radio, and is available with has heated and cooled 14 way Sport Seats. So far, I have only mentioned creature comforts.

I am also obligated to disclose a few of the technical benefits such as a 3.0 twin turbo assisted 991.2 GTS engine with 450 HP, 30 more than the Carrera S, producing 405 lb-ft torque across 2150 to 5000 RPM, a 36 lb-ft torque improvement over the standard 991.2 Carrera S. The car has PDK with Sport Chrono to include the Porsche Sport Response Button (PSRB) described above, also, Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts (PADM) are included with all Sport Chrono optioned 991.2, cars, a “wide butt” is incorporated as a result of the GTS being based on a Carrera 4S tub, Sport PASM, and it comes with 20” Center Lock wheels (A blessing or a curse?) as well as Sport Suspension.

I gladly traded in my former 991.1 Carrera S PDK, sadly lacking Sport Chrono, as well as the 991.2 GTS luxuries mentioned above, but this in no way indicts the car as in any deficient. It was a great all around car and provided me with hours of joy. But it was from a previous generation, and as would be expected, lacking some a few technical features and creature comforts that I longed for.

I have had the luxury of owning and driving both the 991.1 Carrera S and the 992.2 GTS, providing me a unique perspective as to the merits and limitations of the 991.1 and the 991.2. Both cars dominated their respective generations technically with their 9A1 and 9A2 engines, one naturally aspirated, and the other twin turbo powered. And both can be driven in an aggressive Sport + mode on the track and the street, and as needed, can readily revert to stealth mode with the PDK in Normal and the Sport Exhaust in the off position. Based on your needs and budget, you can’t go wrong with a 991.1 Carrera S, a 991.2 Carrera and Carrera S, and the pinnacle in my opinion, the 991.2 Carrera GTS.

My "Baby" below, a 2017 Carrera GTS, patiently awaiting the installation of her center radiator, to be followed with a DSC V3 controller.

What about the nascent 992 Carrera GTS? Preliminary specs are out now. Compared to the 991.2 GTS, 23 more HP accompanied by 15 lb-ft Tq, lower, helper springs and larger brakes. There is now a single intercooler, shades of the 992 GTS car’s distant cousins from the late 80’s. Considering the extra expense and the predictable wait for delivery with accompanying dealer mark up, not a path I’ll be going down, at least for now. But for those that absolutely have to have the latest and greatest from Porsche, the 992 GTS could be for you, and while you are at it, consider acquiring the 992 Targa 4 GTS, providing the epitome of the driving experience, with inimitable style.

I'd go after a 992 GTS, but the domestic fallout
would be too intense to bear. I'd wind up out on the street, with a 992 GTS, homeless.

Last edited by Martin S.; 12-20-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Vinh Nguyen (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 02:26 PM
Sal635
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

It's hard to find a good summary of what makes (or made?) the 991 GTS special and distinct. Here are some GTS details from 'The Definitive Guide to Porsche 991 series 911: Everything you need to know about the Porsche 911 - 991 series:

"The Gran Turismo Sport, GTS, was first unveiled with the second generation 997 range. Porsche saw the success they had achieved by offering two Carrera models, so why not three, with another step upmarket in terms of price and profits. That is a rather cynical introduction to the 991 GTS because, although it’s true, the GTS is an awesome range-topping model for the Carrera range. Think of it as an S with all the best sporting options added and you have captured the essence of a model that sits between the Carrera S and 991 GT3. The GT3 is a little too hardcore for many and its bespoilered exterior is certainly not subtle. The GTS retains the daily driveability of the S but with more attitude and performance.

All GTS models feature the wider body (+44mm) and tyres of the AWD models, this combines with a new lower and more aggressive front spoiler and larger air intakes to create a more sporting, powerful design than its brothers. The mean attitude is accentuated by a range of GTS specific black accents. The upgraded headlights with Porsche’s Dynamic Light System (PDSL - which swivel the lights into a bend) and front LED’s have black surrounds and the side sills have a lower black strip, with Sports Design wing mirrors (electric standard mirrors are a NCO) above. The rear exhaust surround and tips are black along with the engine's air-intake grilles and on 2WD cars, there is also a black strip between the lights, replacing the light strip of the AWD cars. The rear model script and door “GTS” logos are also finished in black as are the expensive and exclusive centre-lock 20-inch alloys from the 991 Turbo S. Porsche even offered an expensive new special colour (Carmine Red) to best show off the new black pack finish. The combined effect of these changes gives the GTS real road presence, it looks fabulous to our eyes.

The good news is it also has the bite to match its more aggressive bark, with an additional 30hp more than the S, as the GTS features the optional Powerkit as standard! This is designed to retain the same low rev power and torque characteristics of the standard 3.8 while adding extra hp and a faster revving more thrilling top-end. Past Powerkits have often used an increase in maximum engine revs to achieve their extra output, but the new design’s primary weapon is a clever new ram-air intake system. The key changes over the Carrera S engine are as follows: Flow-optimized cylinder heads with polished channels - a dual-position resonance intake system with enlarged valve lift and adapted valve spring package, as well as a sports exhaust system, are the primary power components, along with a completely redesigned engine control (mapping) that Porsche say is the key to converting the additional combustion air into extra power. It feels rabidly fast providing you keep it at the top of the rev range where the extra power comes in, and it sounds awesome with a savage howling flat-six scream courtesy of the standard-fit sports exhaust and fine-tuning of the interior symposer.

In order to maximise the upgraded performance, the GTS receives the Sports Chrono Pack as standard. This adds a Sports Plus mode, which sets the car up for maximum performance, in terms of engine response and PASM damper control, also with more direct steering. The standard manual 7-speed gearbox then also throttle blips for you automatically on downchanges and on the optional PDK transmission Sports Plus ensures the fastest and most savage changes. It also features Launch Control, where you hold the car on the brakes rev to a set level and the car then automatically ensures maximum performance off the line. Sport + also reduces the PSM safety net allowing more driver control when pressing on very hard and you can also switch it to stand-by, although it will step forward if the system senses an emergency. The Sports Chrono also includes dynamic engine mounts, these automatically control the movement of the engine and drive train. Tightening control reducing weight transfer for best dynamic performance when pushing on, or softens the control when on bumpy surfaces or cruising to aid best comfort. In addition, there are various timing and performance menus that you can access via the PCM unit, plus the addition of the dashboard mounted clock.

As with the Carrera S the GTS features the 10mm lowered PASM and PTV (Porsche Torque Vectoring) as standard, this combines with the wider track and rear tyres (+10mm/S) plus the dynamic engine mounts to ensure adrenalin pumping cornering speeds. As an option, you can add the PASM Sports chassis to the Coupe (-20mm) for more dynamic and hardcore handling (standard gen-2). The GTS offers fabulously addictive performance, not just in a straight line but also around the bends and the upgraded braking system from the “S” ensures it stops as fast as it goes. The more sporting theme continues inside with a range of unique additional touches. Race car-inspired Alcantara is used for the seat centres (leather was a NCO), the steering wheel, centre cubby box, door pulls, arm rests and gear lever. Also the roof lining on the Coupe models. The kick plates proudly state GTS, as does the rev counter, and the logo is also embroidered on both headrests. The seats are upgraded to Sports Seats Plus, which feature bigger side bolsters to better hold you in place during spirited driving. On the subject of seats, the 997 GTS came without rear seats as standard, for the 991 these can now be deleted as a no cost option, but are included as standard. Another interior upgrade is the chunky SportDesign steering wheel, it looks great with the solid alloy centre design and features the must-have alloy paddles for best controlling the optional PDK. Black brushed aluminium trim adds further sporting appeal, it is included on the centre console and both the door and dashboard strips.

Unfortunately in a typical Porsche move the “Standard Interior” doesn’t include full leather in countries where it is standard on other Carrera models. In fact it was a very expensive £2k+ option, taking away some of the feel-good factor of the other GTS specific interior touches. A premium sports car should include full leather as standard. Best view any GTS with standard interior to see if you are happy with the basic mock leather finish. This is one reason why the GTS interior package was a popular, although expensive, option. It adds full leather (to the dash, console edges, door tops, etc) and extra Alcantara with “sporting accents” in Carmine Red or Rhodium Silver, including the rev counter, headrest logos, carpet logo, front edge of the seat belts and stitching. The lower centre console (including the glovebox) and centre door panels are also trimmed in Alcantara and the dash and door decorative trim is upgraded to Carbon-fibre.

The ultimate Carrera is available as 2WD or AWD, Coupe, Cabriolet and Targa and it has become the driving enthusiast’s model of choice. The GTS has a broader range of talents, with added GT ability, when compared to the more focused GT3 models and more involving dynamics than the Turbo. Although many of the GTS extras can be optioned on the S, the unique bodykit, widebody on the 2WD model and 20-inch Turbo S alloys can’t be optioned on the Carrera or S. We feel the combination of top-draw performance, involving handling, special interior touches and more powerful styling makes the GTS one of the sweet spots in the 911 range."

991.2 Carrera GTS Key changes over 991.1:
  • Downsized 2981 cc twin turbo engine with Powerkit
  • +20hp + 110Nm with much broader torque spread
  • 0-160kmh/99mph around 0.9M/.0.7PDK seconds faster
  • +0.3mpg manual /+ 1.6mpg PDK
  • Upgraded front brake discs +10mm to 350mm
  • PASM Sports Chassis -20mm standard on Coupe
  • New front and rear styling & latest Turbo S wheels
  • Targa roof hoop now black
  • Enhanced Manual & PDK
  • New 4 point LED running lights + sculptured rear lights
  • New PCM4 with phone, nav + Porsche Connect services
  • Less powerful 150 watt Sound Pack Plus now standard
  • New modular steering wheel & upgraded TPM
  • Steering wheel Sports Chrono control and boost button
  • New option of Rear Axle Steering S & GTS only
991.2 Additional Carrera 4 /4S/ GTS 4 key changes:
  • PTM (Porsche Traction Management) upgraded with enhanced electro-hydraulic control from gen-1 Turbo
  • New additional options all models
  • Cruise Control now with added brake control
  • Active Cruise Control now offers Coasting function
  • Front Axle Lift system now available
  • New Sports Exhaust system
  • New Powerkit (+Sports Exhaust/Chrono/Brake cooling)
  • Sports Chrono upgrades with new steering wheel control
  • New Lane Change Assist"
The following 3 users liked this post by Sal635:
BGLeduc (12-20-2021), Martin S. (12-21-2021), Vinh Nguyen (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 03:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 341 Posts
Default Incredible post..

Must read info, puts my post to shame. Thanks😀😀Re-read thee doc...it's is the best compilation of 991.2 GTS data I have seen.

Last edited by Martin S.; 12-21-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Vinh Nguyen (12-20-2021)

Quick Reply: GTS premium worth over S? Will the GTS hold value better?