Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS premium worth over S? Will the GTS hold value better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 03:53 AM
KP993
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

RWD with wide body, pretty easy decision for me.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:21 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudyr
How "close" is my 2014 C4S to a GTS? It has the following performance oriented things added (among a lot of other options, MSRP was $166k according to the sticker)
  • Powerkit which includes the sport exhaust & sport chrono
  • PDCC and PASM sport suspension
  • 7-speed manual transmission
  • 20" Carrera classic wheels
  • 18-way leather sport seats plus (everything in the interior is apparently leather, including the air vents...)
  • LED/Dynamic lighting plus
From a performance / driving experience perspective, is there anything else a GTS would have that mine doesn't?
Comparing your C4S to a 4 GTS, I don’t see any differences performance / driving wise.
The only things I don’t know between S and GTS are :
- suspension components : any differences one the geometry?
- calibration of steering : is it different?
- calibration of ABS/ESP : is it more playful?
- springs and dampers : are they identically specified?
- brakes : are they the same size and type?

Old 04-05-2021, 11:46 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by sy1616
I’m a huge fan of alcantara for many reasons and therefore chose a 991.2 GTS
I would love to hear your many reasons for being a fan. Care to share? I can think of one reason someone might like it. Grip. But I can't think of many.
I really don't mind it on the seats. But do not like it anywhere else. Especially on the wheel and dash.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:48 AM
Rudyr
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
I would love to hear your many reasons for being a fan. Care to share? I can think of one reason someone might like it. Grip. But I can't think of many.
I really don't mind it on the seats. But do not like it anywhere else. Especially on the wheel and dash.
Going to agree with you here, I have it on the seats of my S4 but would very much prefer full leather. On my 911 it's only on the shift **** and boot, which is fine since those are easily replaceable if I ever want to change.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:06 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
I can't find many reasons NOT to like the feel of (clean) alcantara. The grip on the wheel is just SO much better than leather. Seats too. I will concede that I wasn't convinced until I wound up in a Boxster GTS with the interior package, and it won me over almost instantly. I honestly don't know how I'd feel about an alcantara dash; the GTS package on my Boxster at least had a full leather dash with deviated stitching. I can't see any real reason to touch the dash frequently so I see no benefit there...

I think at least one of the main issues people have with it is the perception that it's difficult to keep clean, and/or will get ruined when it inevitably gets dirty. That's just not the case. You can easily clean alcantara and restore it to like-new condition. In fact, it's arguably EASIER to clean than leather (no special cleaning/conditioning chemicals), but it shows dirt much, much easier.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 05:13 PM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a Gts with alcantra(slicktop), and I've been surprised how durable it's been. I also have a Mercedes with alcantra in it, and the Porsche version seems to be more durable. Obviously i don't have any element issues with an open top car, but Ive actually grown to like it. My car was a production dealer car so i didn't order it. However, i don't think the wear issue is anymore than regular leather I've had.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:31 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Had Alcantara seats in our '18 Charger Scat. Actually did like them there. They are warmer in the winter and don't get scorching hot in the summer like leather.

What bugs me about Alcantara in other places is it just has that dull, fuzzy look that stands out too much against the smooth leathers on the dash. So mostly an aesthetic thing for me.

I do like the Alcantara headliner in my GTS tho!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:18 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

I like Alcantara everywhere except the steering wheel. I have GTS with alcantara interior but switched steering wheel to regular leather GT wheel since I dont like gettin stressed out on hand grease making them loo glossy. People say GTS is optioned package from S but many mentioned wide body RWD with less insulation for more noisy driving are not something you can get by adding options.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:51 PM
Rudyr
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by isugoo
I like Alcantara everywhere except the steering wheel. I have GTS with alcantara interior but switched steering wheel to regular leather GT wheel since I dont like gettin stressed out on hand grease making them loo glossy. People say GTS is optioned package from S but many mentioned wide body RWD with less insulation for more noisy driving are not something you can get by adding options.
Well, except for the C4S which is also a wide body
Old 04-05-2021, 08:12 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudyr
Well, except for the C4S which is also a wide body
Exactly what I was saying, RWD in wide body in only available on GTS models, other than that, you have to get AWD to get wide body.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (04-05-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:48 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 427 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Wheel and shifter

Wow to me the wheel and shifter are the most important bits. The car screams race car with the superior tactile grip and line at 12 o clock.

Originally Posted by isugoo
Old 04-06-2021, 11:59 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Alcantara steering wheels and shifters need to be hit with a nubuck brush vigorously here and there to keep the nap up. Don't be afraid to use pressure. Same with the seats.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:19 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Had alcantara wheel on my old 3 series zhp and loved it. Anyone who wants to trade out an Alcantara wheel for a heated leather one then I'm your man!

Alcantara needs upkeep just like leather would (not the same treatment obviously), keep it maintained and it looks great over time, especially the quality of material that Porsche uses.
The following 2 users liked this post by uphoto:
dd356 (04-06-2021), manifold danger (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 12:27 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
Had alcantara wheel on my old 3 series zhp and loved it. Anyone who wants to trade out an Alcantara wheel for a heated leather one then I'm your man!

Alcantara needs upkeep just like leather would (not the same treatment obviously), keep it maintained and it looks great over time, especially the quality of material that Porsche uses.
can you guys recommend a cleaner for alcantara? i am thinking about the switch myself from leather to alcantara but have heard beyond a brush to get the nap up there's not much more you can do
Old 04-06-2021, 12:49 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
can you guys recommend a cleaner for alcantara? i am thinking about the switch myself from leather to alcantara but have heard beyond a brush to get the nap up there's not much more you can do
This is a great article on Alcantara and for treating it.

https://www.lenosgarage.com/blogs/au...e-or-alcantara

Quick Reply: GTS premium worth over S? Will the GTS hold value better?