Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911T thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 05:17 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

I think you can actually hear the difference of the PDK 3.0 drivetrain in video clips, and i get the sense it's quite pleasing.
There is nothing wrong with a PDK T, dif regardless. I barely noticed the open dif in my base .2 Carrera, which was a manual for the record. The 000 piece comparing the base car to the T is awesome and we are in a place where these .2 cars in all forms are pretty remarkable.

edit. I'm full of edits today. Didn't even realize im posting below the editor/founder/driver of the publication and road segment im speaking about. Cool stuff all around! Really enjoy the content and publication. You guys seem like some good dudes.

Last edited by Ceepe; 05-14-2020 at 12:02 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ceepe:
BlackOptic (05-13-2020), GT3FZS (05-12-2020), S S (05-12-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:05 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Getting back on track. I'm still in the process of working out details as to if I want to trade my 992, OR add the T to the stable.

Anyone here other than my wife, think I'm crazy for even contemplating trading in a 3-month old 992?

Any thoughts as to WHY this particular T has been on the lot for over a year? Why would it sit so long? PDK perhaps?

Last edited by smiles11; 05-13-2020 at 08:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F1SML8R (05-14-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 09:06 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Any thoughts as to WHY this particular T has been on the lot for over a year? Why would it sit so long? PDK perhaps?
PDK. ...Cost of PCCBs. Indeed it is funny it just showed up on this page... I felt there were very few new Ts still around. [Edit, yes, I think your wife is probably right. It isn't like this T will be some amazing collectable. I guess the only question - which I have asked myself - is whether I would want something less expensive to be my track car. Maybe that's part of your equation....Oh one more thing, the Sport design package looks GREAT.]
Old 05-13-2020, 09:20 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
PDK. ...Cost of PCCBs. Indeed it is funny it just showed up on this page... I felt there were very few new Ts still around. [Edit, yes, I think your wife is probably right. It isn't like this T will be some amazing collectable. I guess the only question - which I have asked myself - is whether I would want something less expensive to be my track car. Maybe that's part of your equation....Oh one more thing, the Sport design package looks GREAT.]
Maybe I'm going crazy lol yes, like you, I like the thought of a less expensive track duty car.. packed with GT essentials, but capable of so much more given the power numbers. Especially if I decide to tune it.

I just like everything this one has to offer. There were not many produced, that is for sure; and finding one brand new and within 50 miles of me almost feels like it's calling for me.

My wife just doesn't like the fact I waited so long on a custom 992 ordered to my specifications, and then trading it in! HA!

SD on the 992 or the T?
Old 05-13-2020, 09:41 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

The other thing to look at is how often you going to be tracking the car? If 80% of your time is commute/city driving I think possibly 992 is a better choice to keep. From the reviews I've seen, the 992 got plenty of power and handles decent. Cabin is well built and nice to be in. On Track, I don't think 992 is any where worse track machine than a 991.2 T, maybe heavier but if just occasional track I'm sure it's still fun. In the end it' still have the 911 DNA.

If you plan to track bit more, say 50% track or higher. Maybe go with the T and turn it into a fully on track machine.

I don't think any of us can answer this question for unfortunately. Something you'll have to evaluate what your needs are from these two cars.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:49 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 520 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
most sat in the lot for a few reasons:
1. PDK
2. LWBS - it takes a particular person to want to have them everyday on a non-dedicated track car
3. advertising - most dealers just advertise the MSRP which keeps most people from beginning negotiations.
4. timing - Ts came out of Porsche at an awful time...at the end of a model life cycle and when releasing all the GTs therefore it was overlooked.
5. This car has probably spent most of its life in transit from P dealer to P dealer attempting to be sold which is why it just came up. For example, I almost bought a yellow T but it didn’t have PCCBs so I passed even though it was at a GREAT price new ($96k!). 3 days later it was off to the next dealer.

Not sure I’d ever stay away from PCCBs though. They are awesome and if you don’t track it they’ll last pretty much as long as the car will. If you track it and it’s too expensive then just throw on steel calipers/pads. I’d rather have them then not and it definitely suits this car no matter its intended use. Not to mention the size of the calipers and rotors on the OEM steel brakes are prone to fade after hard use.
The following users liked this post:
BlackOptic (05-13-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 12:08 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alc
most sat in the lot for a few reasons:
1. PDK
2. LWBS - it takes a particular person to want to have them everyday on a non-dedicated track car
3. advertising - most dealers just advertise the MSRP which keeps most people from beginning negotiations.
4. timing - Ts came out of Porsche at an awful time...at the end of a model life cycle and when releasing all the GTs therefore it was overlooked.
5. This car has probably spent most of its life in transit from P dealer to P dealer attempting to be sold which is why it just came up. For example, I almost bought a yellow T but it didn’t have PCCBs so I passed even though it was at a GREAT price new ($96k!). 3 days later it was off to the next dealer.

Not sure I’d ever stay away from PCCBs though. They are awesome and if you don’t track it they’ll last pretty much as long as the car will. If you track it and it’s too expensive then just throw on steel calipers/pads. I’d rather have them then not and it definitely suits this car no matter its intended use. Not to mention the size of the calipers and rotors on the OEM steel brakes are prone to fade after hard use.
1. Love the PDK for track
2. Love LWBS for track and weekend getaways. I feel like it's a unique feel added to the car, and fun to drive.
3/4/5. Turns out this car has never left my SA's lot (who is also the GM). He ordered it himself and told me the PDK is what he feels has kept it there so long. So long story short, I ordered my 992 back in July while this T was STILL sitting on their lot (unbeknownst to me).

Two reasons why I think I didn't notice it. First, it did not have a heavy discount like it has today. It was being sold at MSRP up until a few weeks ago. Second, I may have had tunnel vision speccing my "NEW" 992. You know how those configurators can take over your life! lol

So maybe the T was waiting for me to give a go at the 992. Live & learn as they say.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:15 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by .moo.
The other thing to look at is how often you going to be tracking the car? If 80% of your time is commute/city driving I think possibly 992 is a better choice to keep. From the reviews I've seen, the 992 got plenty of power and handles decent. Cabin is well built and nice to be in. On Track, I don't think 992 is any where worse track machine than a 991.2 T, maybe heavier but if just occasional track I'm sure it's still fun. In the end it' still have the 911 DNA.

If you plan to track bit more, say 50% track or higher. Maybe go with the T and turn it into a fully on track machine.

I don't think any of us can answer this question for unfortunately. Something you'll have to evaluate what your needs are from these two cars.
60% of the time will be highway drives in the Sierra Nevada region between the foothills & Tahoe (awesome b-roads I might add in my neck of the woods). 20% will be trips to the coast. 20% will be track duty. 0% will be city driving/commuting

Weight is a factor for sure. Narrow body, LWG, LWBS, rear seat delete, & ceramics. I feel as though those are significant weight savings compared to my 992 even with PCCB's on mine.

What would you estimate the curb weight would be on this T?
Old 05-14-2020, 12:47 AM
F1SML8R
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

...Any thoughts as to WHY this particular T has been on the lot for over a year? Why would it sit so long? PDK perhaps?
I can speak to this first-hand. Basically, the dealership thought their salesmanship was better than any potential buyer's negotiation skills. Said another way, they were greedy.

I started chipping away at this car in late July of 2019. At that point it had already sat for almost 6 months and I made sure to make that clear to the dealership out of the gate. They would have none of it. I checked back in person in August while I was up there for a wine tasting trip (I'm in So. Cal this dealer is Nor. Cal.). I reminded them of our conversation and they now seemed a little more eager, but still wouldn't give more than a 10k discount (This car has an MSRP of $135K and change). Fast forward to December, got them down to 120K, but still not what I wanted to pay (My target was always $116K). Finally, in January I reached out one last time and they said $119.5K was their best and final. I reminded them of how long this thing had sat, but they said "no thanks".

The irony, they are now offering it at $115K or $1K less than what I offered in January. In the end, I was able to get an even better deal on a similar car (i.e.,LWB's, PDK, no sunroof, better color "Racing Yellow", etc.) including a flight to OKC and a great 2 day road trip home with a friend and a visit with one of New Mexico's finest only adding to a great buying experience story. So don't worry about anything being wrong with the car. The sitting around is a total function of the dealership mis-reading the demand for this particular car, nothing else.
The following 4 users liked this post by F1SML8R:
BlackOptic (05-14-2020), GT3FZS (05-14-2020), J3C (06-13-2020), matthewlesko (12-17-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 03:55 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Why dont you track your 992 for a while and see if you like it
Best would be a side by side comparison with a T and a GT3 on the track
This way you will be able to decide easily
Old 05-14-2020, 09:00 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I don’t think the T vs your 992 will be significantly different in weight. The T without stereo and other items is merely about 25lbs lighter than a normal spec 911. Plus the extra power of the 992 makes it a quicker car. The 992 is much more refined. I don’t know man. I drove a PDK T last year and was a bit disappointed, when comparing it to my 991.1 S PDK. I think your 992 is a more capable car. Just my opinion.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:17 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,124 Likes on 669 Posts

60% of the time will be highway drives in the Sierra Nevada region between the foothills & Tahoe (awesome b-roads I might add in my neck of the woods). 20% will be trips to the coast. 20% will be track duty. 0% will be city driving/commuting

Weight is a factor for sure. Narrow body, LWG, LWBS, rear seat delete, & ceramics. I feel as though those are significant weight savings compared to my 992 even with PCCB's on mine.

What would you estimate the curb weight would be on this T?
My guess would be around 3250 with a 1/4-1/2 tank of gas. For comparison my T weighed in at 3175 on a 1/4 tank (Manual, no sunroof, base brakes, rws, 4 ways but had a lightweight battery and cat bypass which saved about 50 lbs). The pdk adds around 50lbs I believe.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:18 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

Since you already have the 992, and are looking for something to use as a track car, why not get a 981 GT4? I find my GT4 a more capable track car than my 911 T. It would be less expensive than the T, and comes with better brakes, NA engine, available LWB and LSD.

My $0.02
The following 5 users liked this post by Klepper:
GT3FZS (05-14-2020), myrr (05-14-2020), NJ991 (05-14-2020), Norge911 (05-26-2020), polobai (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:22 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,124 Likes on 669 Posts

I also had a gt4 and can agree on its usefulness on the track-not as much as the 911t on the street but way better than the 911t on the track.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:27 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
I also had a gt4 and can agree on its usefulness on the track-not as much as the 911t on the street but way better than the 911t on the track.
+1

I daily drive my 911 T. It's a nicer street car than the GT4.

For me, 911 for a street car, and GT4 for a track car is the perfect combination, and I am blessed that I have the garage space and that I can afford to keep both.
The following 3 users liked this post by Klepper:
GT3FZS (05-14-2020), Norge911 (05-26-2020), polobai (05-15-2020)

Quick Reply: New 911T thoughts