Originally Posted by smiles11
ooo fun pdk! I agree!
👍
Seriously the T is awesome
Old 05-05-2020, 09:00 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

For a track mostly car, I guess the PDK will be fine or even preferred but a PDK is no substitute for the fun of a manual. But it sounds like your are not married to an MT.

You are going to need some deep pockets if you plan to use the PCCBs on track. Personally I would also probably add a center radiator to a track car.

SPASM is probably preferred for a track-only car but I have zero interest in SPASM for the street and would take PASM any day of the week. Then again I have zero interest in a car with buckets for street use.

Overall it sounds like a nice track car but definitely not a great double duty car, given the buckets and PDK, IMO.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:07 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 532 Likes on 216 Posts

It’s a good spec, nothing is perfect even if you order it yourself. If PDK is not a deal breaker it’s a great car and you will love it. PCCBs and LWBS are two huge pluses. I have RAS and it makes me a little uncomfortable at the limit since the rear end doesn't seem to break loose predictably so that would not be a deal breaker (but it’s phenomenal on back roads).
Old 05-05-2020, 09:10 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
id give a PDK Carrera T a go, if you like the options. The seats and brakes are appealing. On the track the PDK car would probably be more fun in fact. Being able to put extra mindshare into balancing the chassis and perfecting balance, settling the rear, unwinding, being smooth. That's all so much harder to do right while shifting. Do it!
+1 (I have LWBS in my T, and love them. No RAS for me, it's just fine. The ceramics are sought after.)

I don't track much, and in fact it is only on the track I wish I had a PDK. Looks NICE!
Old 05-05-2020, 09:29 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
ooo fun pdk! I agree!
Old 05-06-2020, 12:37 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

PDK keep the SPASM, and to each their own, but I (slightly) prefer the T without RAS—while recognizing the value of RAS. Call it somewhere between 40/60 and 49/51.

Yes, the decals come off—and while I also prefer the 7MT on the street, if it was going to be primarily for the track I'd rather have PDK (which also works really, really well with the twin-turbo 3.0 engine). And the PCCBs are a boon for the track—I'd place the original rotors and pads on the shelf, run iron rotors with track pads, and you'll have all the brakes you need even if you up the power at some point. Or sell the PCCB gear to further offset your cost of entry.

Any way you cut it, this is an attractive car...
Old 05-06-2020, 01:35 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

The T is a great car!! And with 20k off and you love all the options you should buy it.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:39 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

My 991.1 was a pdk. It had everything I was looking for except the manual. It was great to drive and fun for sure, but always lacked that extra bit of engagement o knew I always wanted in a Porsche. After a little over a year, traded it in for a manual. Just couldn’t do it any more. You know yourself best. If you really want a manual, keep looking. Otherwise, this build is nice.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:55 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

So normally I would say to pass on a PDK T but this car is very nicely done and just looks great. The car was built for a manual trans though.

I prefer the car without RWS.

As far as the brakes. I would use them and enjoy but for the track I would consider throwing iron rotors on it. I still can’t even fathom 25k or whatever it is for rotors and pads.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:12 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

I assume the pics you took were on your test drive.

How did you like driving it? Was PDK on your mind the whole time?

Have you driven a T with a manual? If not, find one and drive it for comparison.

Take your time, take stock of your preferences and your decision will be much clearer. I may sound platitudinous, but only you know what you really want the only way to know is to try them out.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:40 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Since you already have a 992 the 991 T is perfect for track use so pdk is better (faster)
You will need to ditch the PCCB though
RAS is great, I have it on my GT3 ;-)
Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
PDK keep the SPASM, and to each their own, but I (slightly) prefer the T without RAS—while recognizing the value of RAS. Call it somewhere between 40/60 and 49/51.

Yes, the decals come off—and while I also prefer the 7MT on the street, if it was going to be primarily for the track I'd rather have PDK (which also works really, really well with the twin-turbo 3.0 engine). And the PCCBs are a boon for the track—I'd place the original rotors and pads on the shelf, run iron rotors with track pads, and you'll have all the brakes you need even if you up the power at some point. Or sell the PCCB gear to further offset your cost of entry.

Any way you cut it, this is an attractive car...
Thanks Pete, I really appreciate your input. And to everyone.

I agree in regards to RAS. It provides a synthetic feel to the car. Feels unnatural at times... That is why I have never been a fan of PDCC. They feel like parlor tricks to help publish & gain better lap times at the ring.

Originally Posted by OliverK68
I assume the pics you took were on your test drive.

How did you like driving it? Was PDK on your mind the whole time?

Have you driven a T with a manual? If not, find one and drive it for comparison.

Take your time, take stock of your preferences and your decision will be much clearer. I may sound platitudinous, but only you know what you really want the only way to know is to try them out.
I love the PDK honestly, especially in terms of it being a track car. The only thing that gives me cause to pause, is the fact the T was meant to be paired with the MT, however you can't find a MT brand new like the one spec'd in my OP.

I did test drive it. Those that are interested in my comparisons, I've had a 991.1 C2 & 991.2 C2 in the past. I now own the 992, and that is what I have been comparing it to as of late... a lot of my friends just tell me, "why don't you just track your 992?".

I respond to that.. the 992 feels to much like a grand tourer, I have 14-way seats and the cabin feels too refined. I guess that is a good thing for most, however, I really don't feel like it gives me the experience I loved in my 991.2.

The T had a more visceral experience, the noise levels brought into the cabin from the engine & the exhaust note were more potent. Probably due to the lightweight glass & less sound deadening material... The LWBS hug you in on tight turns, the car feels light & nimble in comparison. The 992 is wide, it feels large. The response and sounds from the engine feel held back in comparison.

In summary, the T felt faster, more nimble, more analog and provided a much better "raw" experience that I am used to with Porsche. The 992 is a grand touring car that can show some bite when you want it to over the powerband, but it feels TOO refined, too digital. I also don't like the 3rd brake light, but that is an aesthetic opinion. I really just feel the 991.2 is the entire package, inside & out. The interior feels premium, but still feels throwback with its natural analog experience.

That's my .02. Both cars are great. Though as you can see; both feel & perform differently and provide different experiences. So even though I could probably track the 992, it just doesn't speak to me if that makes sense.

PS: I don't mind cost of tracking the ceramics

The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
GT3FZS (05-07-2020), S S (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 11:47 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Why dont you buy a 991.2 GT3 ?
Old 05-06-2020, 11:55 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

you won't find a 991.2 for 100k, but a 991.1... you will find 2015 out there at that price and 2014 under. If I were buying a car mostly for track I'd 100% get the gt3. Just swap pads and brake fluid and you're ready to go.
The following users liked this post:
MacFever (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 12:06 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,484 Posts

I'd take a 991.1 GT3 if I could find one, white w/ black interior. LWBS & PCCB's under $100k like the T. Hopefully low miles...

The T just gives me the experience, brand new, with everything I want at a great price.

Quick Reply: New 911T thoughts