Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911T thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 07:56 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Thanks spyderbret. I do appreciate those that can provide some engineering answers from a source. The confusion is real however lol and the debate continues. Just like that of the 992 forum and saying the base 992 has an open diff, when it states the 992 base has an electro-mechanical LSD. On every dealer website showing specs. So if that is the case, I'm better off with the 992 for the track if the PDK 991.2 T does not have an LSD.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:57 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

How is it, no one has opened one up and looked by now
Old 05-07-2020, 08:05 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

Even if it has an E dif you might be better/faster in the 992. I'm sure that wider front track will get it into the corner better. They're pretty amazing at making each generation perform higher, even in the most base car forms.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:15 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Even if it has an E dif you might be better/faster in the 992. I'm sure that wider front track will get it into the corner better. They're pretty amazing at making each generation perform higher, even in the most base car forms.
Yeah once they open up the tracks again in my neck of the woods. It can't hurt to give the ole' 992 a go-at-it.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:37 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 282 Posts

Yes, we not questioning the manual car has a mechanical LSD. Nor saying any PDK car has a mechanical dif. They don't. They have E difs, including GT3's. I use the .2 example as a GT3 with both difs offered. That's not the case on the T. It's likely that the PDK T is driving one wheel as the base 991.2 is.
I see what you are saying now and completely agree with you.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:58 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Yes, we not questioning the manual car has a mechanical LSD. Nor saying any PDK car has a mechanical dif. They don't. They have E difs, including GT3's. I use the .2 example as a GT3 with both difs offered. That's not the case on the T. It's likely that the PDK T is driving one wheel as the base 991.2 is.
So is this an educated guess? Or is this confirmation the PDK T has an open diff. I went to bed last night and thought to myself... it sounds like the subject has been put to rest.. but has it?? lol

Also on another note. I really just want to "get back" into a 991.2, and I really like the guys over here on the 991 forum.. is that weird? In comparison

Not to mention, it is truly a "rare" find, having a BRAND NEW Carrera T on the lot.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:50 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

Total guess. No one should listen to me. Years ago someone told me the PDK car was an open dif. That stuck in my mind and no one has ever proven that not to be the case. Mixed with that are no references to an E dif in the PDK Carrera T. That said, it could have it and I could totally be wrong in my assumption. It seems unlikely in marketing terms, in that the transmission option is available but not necessarily a performance equivalent, as it relates to this specific offering.
The following users liked this post:
S S (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 12:57 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
So is this an educated guess? Or is this confirmation the PDK T has an open diff. I went to bed last night and thought to myself... it sounds like the subject has been put to rest.. but has it?? lol

Also on another note. I really just want to "get back" into a 991.2, and I really like the guys over here on the 991 forum.. is that weird? In comparison

Not to mention, it is truly a "rare" find, having a BRAND NEW Carrera T on the lot.
I can't give you the cold hard facts about it, but on the "911 T Owners Club" thread this debate was settled by some PDK owners.

PDK T = ePTV with eLSD
MT T = PTV with mLSD

However, when I think about it, aren't all PTV ePTVs? Anyway.

I feel you on the 991.2. Narrow body and just the right balance of digital and analog for my tastes.

I do believe the 911 T will be looked at like the RS America (to a lesser extent). Basically, a misunderstood 911 with a visceral feel that can't be put on paper.

My dilemma is that I really want a GT4 RS and I'm not sure I can keep both. Its a wonderful problem to have but an issue as the virus situation put a halt to that extra $$ I was planning on making.

Also, I've tracked my T at COTA a few times and its wonderful! Other T owners were out there too.

Also, the "T community" is pretty cool. Except for those always hating on my metal sunroof lol. Which btw turns out to be a pretty rare option.

Much less 991.2 T's out there than 991.2 GT3s. Nothing will beat that 9k rpm redline on the 4.0L; however, the T is tunable to beat that engine, although the chassis of a GT3 is better for the track than the T.
The following 4 users liked this post by Apollo Falcon:
GT3FZS (05-10-2020), minh (05-08-2020), S S (05-08-2020), spyderbret (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 02:55 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Apollo Falcon
I can't give you the cold hard facts about it, but on the "911 T Owners Club" thread this debate was settled by some PDK owners.

PDK T = ePTV with eLSD
MT T = PTV with mLSD

However, when I think about it, aren't all PTV ePTVs? Anyway.

My dilemma is that I really want a GT4 RS and I'm not sure I can keep both.
PTV is electronic by nature. I don't know that the base carrera or T with PDK had PTV at all. PTV always seems to be coupled with the mechanical LSD.

For the GT4 RS, my problem is no matter what we think it will end up being a bit neutered. I cannot see a way this car will get a GT engine. It will end up with the 4.0 NA powerplant that is in the GTS 4.0 and GT4. Not a bad engine, but I think the 3.0 turbo with a tune on it has way more potential.

If it has a manual, then I can see the allure. Otherwise if if it PDK only I am not sure it will sway me to give up the T for a big layout of cash.

S S (05-08-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 01:13 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

While waiting for my ordered T to be delivered back in late 2017 I read all the press releases. It was widely reported that the PDK option would lose the PTV and eLSD that is standard on the manual transmission car. That is true to this day; no PDK equipped 911 Carrera T comes with PTV or eLSD.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:17 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberay
While waiting for my ordered T to be delivered back in late 2017 I read all the press releases. It was widely reported that the PDK option would lose the PTV and eLSD that is standard on the manual transmission car. That is true to this day; no PDK equipped 911 Carrera T comes with PTV or eLSD.

I concur. You are 100% right. I've read pretty much everything that has been written about the T and as far as I know, PTV and LSD were reserved ONLY for the manual T. Remember, PTV and LSD were OPTIONS for the S, regardless if they were PDK or Manual, and they were NOT available on the base Carrera.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:29 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 124 Posts

From Cars.com:"In all, I didn’t get the appeal of the Carrera T at first. But then I drove the manual and flipped that notion on its head.

In the manual transmission 911 Carrera T, Porsche shortened the shifter’s throws and modified the constant transaxle ratio for improved acceleration. It also comes with PTV and that mechanically locking rear differential, two features missing on the automatic that may have helped put power down. My manual test car also came with the optional bucket seats, so it maxed out the lightness potential of the Porsche 911 Carrera T. This was as lean and mean as you can get the T to be — and it didn’t disappoint."

From Porsche.com under Carrera T specifications:

There is only mention of a MECHANICAL rear LSD included with PTV, making it ONLY available for the Manual, as the PDK never had a mechanical LSD, only eLSD and ePTV.

No question about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by alex_c:
GT3FZS (05-10-2020), spyderbret (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 03:02 PM
F1SML8R
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
There is only mention of a MECHANICAL rear LSD included with PTV, making it ONLY available for the Manual, as the PDK never had a mechanical LSD, only eLSD and ePTV.

No question about it.
And I agree, no one is questioning what comes with the manual (i.e. mechanical rear LSD and PTV).

However, there's no official (i.e. Porsche) literature (I too have read all Carrera T official literature and most articles, and don't really trust Cars.com) that explicitly states the PDK option does not come with PTV and eLSD. Really, what we need is to have an owner have their dealer validate this at the next service. I'm actually due for oil in the next few weeks and plan on having the staff at the Irvine, CA dealership do this for me.

Lastly, it should be noted that all cars (i.e. manual and PDK if confirmed) have "ePTV". By that I mean "PTV" is all software. The only difference is one leverages the manual capability of the mechanical LSD (if equipped) or uses the application of the brake to a specific corner to ensure max grip and/or yaw/body shift via the ECU's direction. So, we should all just call it "PTV" to eliminate even more confusion. You'll notice even Porsche makes no reference to "ePTV".
Old 05-12-2020, 12:29 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1SML8R
And I agree, no one is questioning what comes with the manual (i.e. mechanical rear LSD and PTV).

However, there's no official (i.e. Porsche) literature (I too have read all Carrera T official literature and most articles, and don't really trust Cars.com) that explicitly states the PDK option does not come with PTV and eLSD. Really, what we need is to have an owner have their dealer validate this at the next service. I'm actually due for oil in the next few weeks and plan on having the staff at the Irvine, CA dealership do this for me.

Lastly, it should be noted that all cars (i.e. manual and PDK if confirmed) have "ePTV". By that I mean "PTV" is all software. The only difference is one leverages the manual capability of the mechanical LSD (if equipped) or uses the application of the brake to a specific corner to ensure max grip and/or yaw/body shift via the ECU's direction. So, we should all just call it "PTV" to eliminate even more confusion. You'll notice even Porsche makes no reference to "ePTV".
Let us know if they can confirm anything on your visit. I think it's pretty funny the car has been out for 3 years now, and no one has really confirmed it with hard evidence.

Originally Posted by cyberay
It seems like half the comments are saying the PDK T does not have PTV or eLSD... and then the other half of comments will say the PDK T has ePTV & eLSD.

So confusing.

The 992 at least states electro-mechanical LSD on it's standard options list.
F1SML8R (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:43 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Engineers and factory representatives were clear on the press launches for the Carrera T in both France and California: The manual Carrera T had the advantages of a lower final drive ratio than the standard Carrera with a mechanical limited-slip diff, where cars equipped with PDK did not have a mechanical LSD. Therefore, a number of them said the 7MT was the one to get.

If there is evidence to the contrary, and the press was fed incorrect intel, I'd love to see it.

As for PDK? I drove the Carrera T in both forms, and despite my personal preference for manual gearboxes and concern with getting bored with them on the street (that's me, after two years spent with a PDK car years ago), I have to say the Carrera T PDK is a fabulous thing. The transmission is just so very well matched to the twin-turbo 3.0…it's that feeling when two things mechanical mesh perfectly. Car felt mil-spec precise on back roads. I can see the appeal…
The following 5 users liked this post by stout:
BlackOptic (05-13-2020), F1SML8R (05-12-2020), GT3FZS (05-12-2020), jimmymoO (05-12-2020), TheDeckMan (05-12-2020)

Quick Reply: New 911T thoughts