Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911T thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 05:32 PM
tyhp
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Today I went to a local porsche club event and accidentally a new 992 C2S park next to my T. So I have the opportunity to check the new 992 inside out carefully and this is my .02$

exterior: with the sport design front, the 992 look much better. the wide body and cross rear led light are both attractive too. But the third brake light... NOT MY BRAKE LIGHT!

inferior: this car come with the 18 ways seat, so as mine. But I still like my cabin much more because of 1. buttons for control (hate the new touch one) 2. shifter (hate that razor stick) 3. T interior stitching, feel a bit more special

price: he got his new for $140+k, i got my used for $87k ($124k MSRP). I just don't think the new one justified the difference compared to T

The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (06-15-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 01:54 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Stick with the 992.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:11 AM
rubioalejo
Instructor

Received 477 Likes on 133 Posts

this is rare to find opportunity
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324194034288

Old 06-16-2020, 08:34 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Trying to decide between a T and a 992 as well
Old 06-24-2020, 04:15 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,484 Posts
Question T Nurburgring

To the T owners. Did Porsche ever produce a Nurburgring time for the Carrera T (or maybe the base 991.2) ?

I'm still considering that PDK T. I'm just getting tons of slack from some of my Porsche friends.. mostly in regards to the lack of rear seats. Why wouldn't it have rear seats since it's a "touring" car? Why would you need LWBS for a 370hp car? That's overkill... blah blah blah!

You see what I'm up against.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:01 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
To the T owners. Did Porsche ever produce a Nurburgring time for the Carrera T (or maybe the base 991.2) ?

I'm still considering that PDK T. I'm just getting tons of slack from some of my Porsche friends.. mostly in regards to the lack of rear seats. Why wouldn't it have rear seats since it's a "touring" car? Why would you need LWBS for a 370hp car? That's overkill... blah blah blah!

You see what I'm up against.
Heck, if you procrastinate and dither about this much longer it will be time to move this thread to the “ classic” cars section. No wonder the Porsche SA I know have so many stories about car buyers, LOL.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:05 PM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I was hesitating to buy a T some months ago
Would have bought one with rear seats that's for sure
370 hp is not enough but with a simple chiptuning you go to 450 hp and that is enough ;-)
The 6 speed manual like in the R is great but the 7 speed in the T not so, therefore pdk is the way to go
Old 06-24-2020, 06:38 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Semitone
Heck, if you procrastinate and dither about this much longer it will be time to move this thread to the “ classic” cars section. No wonder the Porsche SA I know have so many stories about car buyers, LOL.
Luckily, my SA isn't involved in my thought processes; I'd rather vent to RL members on my decisions lol. You're right though, I'm methodical in my decision making process; and I'm semi-procrastinating, as I already have a 992S on order.

I was also looking at a CPO 991.1 GT3RS recently on the GT3 forum... but that one sold. (keeping all of my options open)

Not to mention, this car has been on the lot for over a year, so it's given me time to make a decision. Just trying my best to make the best "long-term" decision...

Originally Posted by MacFever
I was hesitating to buy a T some months ago
Would have bought one with rear seats that's for sure
370 hp is not enough but with a simple chiptuning you go to 450 hp and that is enough ;-)
The 6 speed manual like in the R is great but the 7 speed in the T not so, therefore pdk is the way to go
My counter-point was to flash tune/chip tune. However, I'd avoid doing that until after the 5 year warranty is up, but would rather not "have" to do it at-all.

Besides the slack I'm getting on the 370hp with "overkill buckets" and no rear seats... don't get me started on the manual. As they've told me that's a deal killer.

So I'm guessing there is no posted time from Porsche on the 991.2 base/T Nurburgring?

Old 06-24-2020, 06:56 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Besides the slack I'm getting on the 370hp with "overkill buckets" and no rear seats... don't get me started on the manual. As they've told me that's a deal killer.
Despite all the positive press about the T of late, seems there's still quite a bit of snobbery about it. I can see why people who have the means for 911Rs, GT3Ts etc might look at the buckets and door pulls, compare the stats at face value, and dismiss the T as a "wannabe".
My view is that it's hard to win a D* measuring competition in the Porsche world unless you're Jerry Seinfeld (there's always someone with something better) so you should probably just buy what you like

Old 06-24-2020, 09:28 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 297 Posts

It's snobbery, but also that the snobs drive really nice cars. GT's, air cooled, cup, etc. When you're used to motorsport quality other offerings can seem underwhelming at first take. The Carrera T takes a little time to appreciate.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:46 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ducktails
Despite all the positive press about the T of late, seems there's still quite a bit of snobbery about it. I can see why people who have the means for 911Rs, GT3Ts etc might look at the buckets and door pulls, compare the stats at face value, and dismiss the T as a "wannabe".
My view is that it's hard to win a D* measuring competition in the Porsche world unless you're Jerry Seinfeld (there's always someone with something better) so you should probably just buy what you like
Originally Posted by Ceepe
It's snobbery, but also that the snobs drive really nice cars. GT's, air cooled, cup, etc. When you're used to motorsport quality other offerings can seem underwhelming at first take. The Carrera T takes a little time to appreciate.
@ducktails that's an honest take. I appreciate it --- and pretty much what I hear when discussing the decision to buy the PDK T or keep with the 992S. Like @Ceepe said, I think the T is underappreciated for what it's trying to accomplish with the LWG, LWBS, & door pulls for the PDK. It's obviously not the purer take when comparing it to the manual that has the shorter gear setup and LSD/PTV+.

I guess I can see why it's sat there for so long now after tons of R&D if you will lol. The T comes quite close to a base in PDK form, but I really do appreciate the GT bits that are still thrown in including SPASM.

As stated, it's tough to have these conversations measuring D* with friends when you're contemplating one car over the other.

Worst case, when the 992S arrives in late August... good chance the T is still there and I can have a comparo before I drive off.

In the meantime.. send this thread over to the classics; cause it might pop back up again in late August
Old 06-25-2020, 12:14 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Based on the way I spec'd my car:

FBs are NOT race seats. What they are are the most comfortable seats I've ever spent extended, "high speed" hours in. They are not overkill and they work extremely well for what they are intended to do: hug you and support you for spirited sports driving. Anyone who says they are overkill is either: 1) misinformed and has never used them 2) a hater because they couldn't spec them in any car they didn't have to shell out 200 k for (GT4s/Spyders do not count...) 3) finds them uncomfortable for some reason (their own weight/girth, entrance/exit to the car, etc.) 4) probably all three...

370 hp (and the T actually makes more than that and DEFINITELY feels like it does based on its nimbleness) is PLENTY. Both in the real world and on closed courses. As has been stated a bunch of times, if for some reason you really feel the need to lose your license, you can easily tune this car to madman levels and it will blow pants, shorts, panties, and lollipops off/out of most things on the road. Even with the back seats...

PDK doesn't negate something from being a T. It just means you have to work harder to earn it.

Buy it and you'll know and f your hater friends. Unless you are buying it for them, or to impress them, then who really cares? And if it is either of those things, you don't belong in the T Army anyway! Good Continuing Luck!

SS

p.s. I still think you should buy the 992, for all the reasons previously stated. If you really wanted the T, you would have stopped vacillating a long time ago and had hundreds of miles under your butt by now.
The following 2 users liked this post by S S:
GT3FZS (06-25-2020), Schn3ll (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 02:17 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S S
Based on the way I spec'd my car:

FBs are NOT race seats. What they are are the most comfortable seats I've ever spent extended, "high speed" hours in. They are not overkill and they work extremely well for what they are intended to do: hug you and support you for spirited sports driving. Anyone who says they are overkill is either: 1) misinformed and has never used them 2) a hater because they couldn't spec them in any car they didn't have to shell out 200 k for (GT4s/Spyders do not count...) 3) finds them uncomfortable for some reason (their own weight/girth, entrance/exit to the car, etc.) 4) probably all three...

370 hp (and the T actually makes more than that and DEFINITELY feels like it does based on its nimbleness) is PLENTY. Both in the real world and on closed courses. As has been stated a bunch of times, if for some reason you really feel the need to lose your license, you can easily tune this car to madman levels and it will blow pants, shorts, panties, and lollipops off/out of most things on the road. Even with the back seats...

PDK doesn't negate something from being a T. It just means you have to work harder to earn it.

Buy it and you'll know and f your hater friends. Unless you are buying it for them, or to impress them, then who really cares? And if it is either of those things, you don't belong in the T Army anyway! Good Continuing Luck!

SS

p.s. I still think you should buy the 992, for all the reasons previously stated. If you really wanted the T, you would have stopped vacillating a long time ago and had hundreds of miles under your butt by now.
Could care less if they're impressed or not. However, I respect their opinions, as I do with the RL members on this thread. I was just bringing forth their side of the decision making process, which was 100% against the T for the reasons stated.

Also, didn't know there was a "T army" lol... I am an advocate for the T, but I won't dismiss someone else's opinions just because they don't see what I see.

Me personally, I'm okay with buckets on a 370hp base car. I like the LWG & door pulls. However, they just state how overkill & "wannabe" it comes off as noted by @ducktails. So maybe others have had the same slack I've been given?

I understand everyone has their opinions, I just like to gather all of the info I can before making a big decision.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:45 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

There's no getting around it - some people will (wrongly, in my subjective opinion) just continue to take the view that the T is the car you get if you're an enthusiast but can't afford a GT3T or an R. If that weighs on you a lot, it would definitely be the wrong buy. Newest generation 911S is a pretty safe choice that few would find fault with, from the outside looking in. However, with all due respect to orthodontists, there's also a common perception about standard 911s.

You'll go crazy trying to weigh all of that so my original point was just to go with your gut on how the car makes you feel. I got to test drive a 992S when I was buying my T and they both elicited completely different emotions. The 992 felt bigger, more powerful, more 'futuristic', but to me at least, totally sterile and boring. The T felt more nimble, fun and interesting, maybe a little bit 'old school'. That doesn't appeal to everyone though.

Lastly, if modding is your thing, I am sure you can mod both to crazy levels, but there is something super appealing in an underdog kind of way about the T as a platform for that.
The following 5 users liked this post by ducktails:
GT3FZS (06-25-2020), S S (06-25-2020), Schn3ll (06-25-2020), smiles11 (06-25-2020), spyderbret (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 04:05 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

There is most definitely a T Army, and you’re contemplating enlisting... The opinions of your friends, and those like them, are what has created it. You’ve already begun to encounter it. It’s not for everyone. I’m all for gathering info and factoring it all in. What I’m not for are baseless accusations and hyperbole.

Just get what you want and be good with it. We’ll all be respectful of your decision. Best,

ß
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (06-25-2020)

Quick Reply: New 911T thoughts