Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 07:53 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Here in CA, they don’t bother nice cars with exhaust only rice rockets.

as far as smogs go, I can help members who need a “friend” 👍🤭.

Rafi, do you guys need any test customers in CA? I am a stage 2 c2s and I attend HPDE’s.

We always need customers who are going to go out there and track our products... that's one of the things we try to highlight is our emphasis on track testing. So yes, if you are interested, please call or private message me, maybe we can work something out.

Originally Posted by rjongco
Any fitment issues with a targa or cab?
Good question... Generally the different configurations of the car should not affect fitment of the supercharger, but just yesterday I was looking a video on Youtube where someone was fitting an IPD plenum on a 991cab, and there appeared to be a power steering pump in the location where the power steering pump is located on 997.2's, so that would be an issue. I'm guessing it might be related to the cabriolet, because I don't believe any 991s ever had hydraulic power steering. Perhaps someone here can shed some light...

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Flames coming out of my exhausts? Where do I sign?
We've got the signup sheet for that, lol. Its actually easy to enhance them or minimize depending on the settings for the meth injection. Had someone hugging my bumper the other night, so the flames proved to be an especially effective "safety" feature

Rafi
Old 02-08-2020, 07:54 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rugu6869
Right now I'm in the market for a 991.1 and have been looking for potential power adders and there were literally none, except for a full exhaust for about $8k and an added 30hp mid-range.
This is a bit more, but what a bump in power.

I will definitely be stopping bye once I find my 991 to talk (I'm about 15 minutes from you - I've driven past your place a few hundred times)!

BTW: What suspension are you running? I'm looking into Ohlins.
I was thinking that since you're in PA it would be a good fit for you to be working with Penske as they're located in PA as well - low and behold, you are working with Penske on your Lexus line, so I'm thinking that something along that lines will be coming soon. Would love to see that as I don't think anyone else is working with them. What a combo that would be. Supercharged 911 with Penske suspension.

TBH: I would really love to get a 997 GT3, but they're just out of my price range. With the 991's coming down into the low $50's and even high $40's - adding these mods would put it right around mid-$60's to close to $70K. Oh my! Looking good to me.

All i can say is.... "You've Got a Friend in PA"

Yeah we work with Penske extensively, and we are definitely planning some suspension related bits for this summer.

Rafi
Old 02-08-2020, 08:38 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Good question... Generally the different configurations of the car should not affect fitment of the supercharger, but just yesterday I was looking a video on Youtube where someone was fitting an IPD plenum on a 991cab, and there appeared to be a power steering pump in the location where the power steering pump is located on 997.2's, so that would be an issue. I'm guessing it might be related to the cabriolet, because I don't believe any 991s ever had hydraulic power steering. Perhaps someone here can shed some light...

Rafi
i Might be willing to Drive out there and be the guinea pig
Old 02-09-2020, 02:11 AM
gwporsche
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

What body kit do you have on that car?
Old 02-09-2020, 02:54 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 418 Posts

That's the PDCC (Porsche dynamic chassis control) pump and revisor.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:14 AM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gwporsche
What body kit do you have on that car?
it’s not a kit, the side skirts are off a gt3RS, front splitter and APR rear wing we made custom.

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
That's the PDCC (Porsche dynamic chassis control) pump and revisor.
So PDCC pump either needs to be removed or we will likely need to design a new intake manifold as the pump blocks all access to the throttle.

Rafi
Old 02-13-2020, 11:37 AM
Tempus fugit
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

This looks like an exciting development and could be something I'd consider doing but probably after my factory warranty expires. My hesitation is over what this significant bump in power does to the longevity of the engine and transmission (I have PDK). I see that R&R has tested on the track and road for a few thousand miles, but I wonder if there's any data being collected on wear & tear or failures compared to stock. I've read up a little about supercharging in general but would like to know more about how it affects a 991.1 over the long-term.

- Third radiator
Old 02-13-2020, 01:03 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempus fugit
This looks like an exciting development and could be something I'd consider doing but probably after my factory warranty expires. My hesitation is over what this significant bump in power does to the longevity of the engine and transmission (I have PDK). I see that R&R has tested on the track and road for a few thousand miles, but I wonder if there's any data being collected on wear & tear or failures compared to stock. I've read up a little about supercharging in general but would like to know more about how it affects a 991.1 over the long-term.

- Third radiator
If you think about it, you're not driving at WOT all the time. Even partial throttle and normal driving you'll be lucky to see any boost at all, maybe one or two PSI. So, in the end, it's not putting as much stress on the drivetrain as you'd think.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:02 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

with the supercharger installed, will all the I/M monitors still be available and ready without a check engine light on? will this still pass CA smog, all they do is plug in obd2 and as long as all the monitors are ready and theres no CEL it passes.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:49 AM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tempus fugit

- Third radiator
Here's my take on the reliability of the 9A1. First off, I've mentioned that we purchased a 54,000 mile C2S to start this project. The ECU shows I think something like nearly 2000 redline pulls, so its not like we started this project with a low mile garage queen. We are soon going to hit 62,000 miles on the clock, about 8000 supercharged. Its funny how tuners are constantly pushing the boost levels and power on the new 3L turbo 991.2/992's. First off, most of those test cars are really low mile cars to start with, and they are quick to release dyno charts, but did they test it for 8000 miles, 300plus dyno pulls and 4 track days... not bloody likely

That said, looks like reliability on 996/997 SC kits has been pretty good. The latest 9A1 engine I think is better suited suited for forced induction given the closed deck design, forged pistons, MAP based ECU, and the lack of IMS bearing issues.

Anyway, we are working on Stage II upgrade which will require some fueling modifications, stay tuned!

Rafi
Old 02-14-2020, 11:52 AM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just a little shout out to our friends at Soul Performance for providing us with their latest long tube headers (I believe these should be up on their site later today). With a forced induction setup, we didn't pickup any power with these (yet),but we cannot understate the improvement in sound over stock manifolds... absolutely INTOXICATING! One of the advantages of supercharging vs. turbocharging is that we don't mess with the symphony of the NA flat 6!

The following 2 users liked this post by RRRacing:
razarch991 (04-20-2022), Soul Performance (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 01:00 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,121 Likes on 667 Posts

Very nice-I am surprised you didn't pick up any power moving from catted stock headers to these catless units...any reasons you can think of as to why?
Old 02-14-2020, 01:28 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,175 Likes on 692 Posts

Here's my take on the reliability of the 9A1. First off, I've mentioned that we purchased a 54,000 mile C2S to start this project. The ECU shows I think something like nearly 2000 redline pulls, so its not like we started this project with a low mile garage queen. We are soon going to hit 62,000 miles on the clock, about 8000 supercharged. Its funny how tuners are constantly pushing the boost levels and power on the new 3L turbo 991.2/992's. First off, most of those test cars are really low mile cars to start with, and they are quick to release dyno charts, but did they test it for 8000 miles, 300plus dyno pulls and 4 track days... not bloody likely

That said, looks like reliability on 996/997 SC kits has been pretty good. The latest 9A1 engine I think is better suited suited for forced induction given the closed deck design, forged pistons, MAP based ECU, and the lack of IMS bearing issues.

Anyway, we are working on Stage II upgrade which will require some fueling modifications, stay tuned!

Rafi
Very good points

I did not know the 9A1 was closed deck and has forged pistons. That would help me sleep better at night.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:40 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

OMG why did I click on this during tax season??? My life was fine a few seconds ago...
Old 02-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 591 Posts

This looks super promising. I do have a PDCC car, so doesn't even look like an option for me. Probably a good thing LOL
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (02-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Worlds First Supercharged 991.1!!!