Rennlist Member

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Everyday driver with traffic: PDK
​​Weekend warrior and occasional daily: Manual
Frequent track use with focus on times: PDK
This.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carlo_Carrera:
0luke1 (01-19-2020), typehxr1 (12-31-2021)
Old 01-16-2020, 10:15 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by harlandoc
Seriously, the reason to have a PDK is because it shifts faster? That's absurd. Sure, it certainly does, but at what cost? It's at the cost of a visceral, old-school, feel-the-road, feel-the-transmission, one-with-the-car and road feeling. Unless racing cars is your profession, there's no reason other than being "practical" to have a PDK, in my opinion. And if you need to be practical, then you should probably look into a minivan, which, by the way, always come in automatic, just like PDK, only somewhat slower.
Bottom line is that the reason most people buy a sports car is to have fun. Unfortunately PDK destroys the fun factor for me, but I appreciate that it may enhance the fun factor for others.
The fact that a driver can do a lap faster with PDK vs MT is irrelevant to me. It certainly doesn't make the car more enjoyable to drive. As a matter of fact I derived more pleasure driving my first 911, a 1970 911S with its 200 HP engine and 5 speed MT, than modern 911s with all their computerized driving aids. That car would be ridiculously slow by today's standards, but it was a blast to drive.
The following users liked this post:
typehxr1 (12-31-2021)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:02 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions and experiences. Wish I could say you've helped me decide, but I'm still on the fence. Yeah, the PDK is a great transmission but I'm afraid an hour, or even a day, test drive isn't going to eliminate the fact that I might eventually miss the 3rd pedal. I've decided to look at CPO'd cars and prioritize the other options I find necessary and since there are so few manuals out there I'll probably end up with a PDK. In that case, I'll just keep my B5 S4 a while longer so I have something to row. Thanks again.

I think this is a great plan. Honestly, I just feel so lucky that I have a 911...let alone a GTS with so many great options. The transmission was pretty low on my "things to consider" after I saw the car.
Especially since I was between the one I got and a GT4. If the tranny was all that mattered, I would have just gotten the GT4.
sr5959 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:36 PM
SCPgrom76
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Big Swole;16339400]It's only money. Buy one of each!!

Ditto
Big Swole (01-20-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 12:22 AM
Chillywon
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

At the end of the day what ever floats your boat.
Personally the PDK is awesome on and off the track. Sure banging gears on a manual for a lap or 2 is cool. A short drive to the Chilly store and back not bad.
You just can't beat the PDK on a porsche. Different story with the BMW"s.

However 39 foot CC's with a bow thruster...LMAO.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:02 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

It seems the OP has made his decision (for now).
I would add that I have had many sports cars (in Acura, BMW and Porsche) and always find myself coming back to MT. This includes 911 and Macan with PDK and within 3 months have regretted not getting MT.
I just love the little moments in daily driving where I can heel/toe that keep me engaged instead of just going through the motions.
YMMV. Good luck
Old 01-17-2020, 02:27 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Pennsylvania John,

If you've been driving manuals all your life, get yourself a manual. And this coming from a PDK guy. Especially if you live in a rural area.

The clutch pedal is super light and unless it's an early 991.1, the 7 speed isn't bad at all.

Drive and enjoy.

I'm at 66k miles on my PDK GT3 in 2 years of ownership, came out of a 2013 Carrera S (the manual wasn't available yet) and the majority of these miles are Los Angeles - Orange County Calif. driving. Lots of stop and go traffic but I tell you.

I'm going to find a 991.2 GT3 in a Manual soon. I don't care if it's a pain in the *** 90% of the time. I'll take that 10% enjoyment delta.

Don't get me wrong the PDK is a magnificent box and can literally read you mind but I think the guys who spent most of their lives driving a stick will end up like me jonesing for a 6 or 7 speed manual.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:20 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

I DD (most of the time) my 2019 GTS with PDK. It is a blast, very intuitive and easy in traffic.

That being said I sometimes still drive my 04 Subaru STi just to row the gears.

2 COMPLETELY different vehicles.

The Subaru makes a fair bit of power, but definitely needs to be above 3500 rpm, and has ZERO creature comforts, but it is a blast to drive.

Subaru:
No stability control
No traction control
KW v3 coilovers
Threw the Whiteline suspension catalog at it.
Upgraded turbo
6 speed transmission
= a ton of fun and a car connected to the ground.

However, I am hoping to replace the Subaru with a Golf R and turn the Subaru into a track junker.

Do what makes you happy
Old 01-17-2020, 05:32 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts

Again to each their own...I have a 2012.5 991.1 and love the 7 speed. Granted having an extra gear requires time to develop muscle memory but in all regards the clutch and tranny are excellent. Perhaps you had a bad one but mine is great.

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Pennsylvania John,

If you've been driving manuals all your life, get yourself a manual. And this coming from a PDK guy. Especially if you live in a rural area.

The clutch pedal is super light and unless it's an early 991.1, the 7 speed isn't bad at all.

Drive and enjoy.

I'm at 66k miles on my PDK GT3 in 2 years of ownership, came out of a 2013 Carrera S (the manual wasn't available yet) and the majority of these miles are Los Angeles - Orange County Calif. driving. Lots of stop and go traffic but I tell you.

I'm going to find a 991.2 GT3 in a Manual soon. I don't care if it's a pain in the *** 90% of the time. I'll take that 10% enjoyment delta.

Don't get me wrong the PDK is a magnificent box and can literally read you mind but I think the guys who spent most of their lives driving a stick will end up like me jonesing for a 6 or 7 speed manual.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:13 PM
P991GTS
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 40 Posts
Default You already know the answer

It's significant that you asked if anyone regrets getting the PDK. (You could have asked if anyone regrets getting either transmission.) This seems to say it all. You may or may not regret getting the PDK. But I’d say the odds of getting the manual and wishing you had the PDK are minimal compared to the other way around.

I understand why you ask for other owners’ experiences to help you decide what will make YOU happy. Here’s mine: I got the manual because my car was not being built anymore and it’s what was left. At the time, I would have preferred my car with the PDK. But now I am extremely happy that I didn’t have an option. I LOVE having a manual. Even if the PDK would have been engaging enough, I wouldn’t know how much fun I’d be missing.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:56 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by P991GTS
It's significant that you asked if anyone regrets getting the PDK. (You could have asked if anyone regrets getting either transmission.) This seems to say it all. You may or may not regret getting the PDK. But I’d say the odds of getting the manual and wishing you had the PDK are minimal compared to the other way around.

I understand why you ask for other owners’ experiences to help you decide what will make YOU happy. Here’s mine: I got the manual because my car was not being built anymore and it’s what was left. At the time, I would have preferred my car with the PDK. But now I am extremely happy that I didn’t have an option. I LOVE having a manual. Even if the PDK would have been engaging enough, I wouldn’t know how much fun I’d be missing.
That's a very good point. You are correct....if I get a manual I doubt I'd regret not getting a PDK, unless of course I end up with physical limitations like my recent broken shoulder. I'm fine now, but old age does present additional issues and some that could prevent driving a manual. But then I will ALWAYS have another automatic car (like my Cayenne) to fall back on. At this point I'm leaning towards a manual.
Can't help but feel like it's dating woman with a great body but little else in common....might be fun for awhile but sooner or later you'll miss not feeling connected.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:24 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
That's a very good point. You are correct....if I get a manual I doubt I'd regret not getting a PDK, unless of course I end up with physical limitations like my recent broken shoulder. I'm fine now, but old age does present additional issues and some that could prevent driving a manual. But then I will ALWAYS have another automatic car (like my Cayenne) to fall back on. At this point I'm leaning towards a manual.
Can't help but feel like it's dating woman with a great body but little else in common....might be fun for awhile but sooner or later you'll miss not feeling connected.
You are not likely to be physically limited with driving a manual because of old age. Take care of your body. You have one. If you need help, seek out physical therapy. In the end if you need surgery, do it. Life is short.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:07 PM
Myriad
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Swapped into my 911 also as my first non-manual car since I started purchasing vehicles myself ~11 years ago. The main drivers for me of switching to the PDK were:
1. Not feeling like I was sacrificing performance by having the PDK as I would have with a slushbox automatic (it really does feel like a manual gearbox shifting!)
2. Traffic, traffic, traffic
3. Flexibility of having my wife able to drive when required.

#2 has ended up being the biggest advantage being in North Jersey. I'd say there's about ~25% of the time where I regret it, and then there's 25% of the time where I say, thankful I am not clutching in and out in this traffic for 30 minutes. The other 50% is a wash

I think a lot of people have hit the mark in this thread correctly - depends on where you are located and the specific conditions you run into where you drive. If it wasn't for being in the northeast with all of the associated bustle and traffic, I'd have gone manual again without a doubt. The ease + no loss of performance have made PDK a win for my situation.
AlexCeres (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 11:06 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/how-this-hero-g...h__itpfzJhT0wQ
Old 01-20-2020, 11:12 AM
Das14444
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 160 Posts

Was talking to a friend and porsche enthusiast over the weekend - his thoughts were: most (not all) but most modern 911s are meant to be PDK. Thats why the RS models are PDK only. He indicated Porsche is fitting modern cars with old school tech due to demand from enthusiasts like many of us and in his opinion the modern 911s should be paired with the more modern transmission. Same as Ferrari and Lambo where you cant even get a manual.
For him - he wants a PDK in a modern 911 and when he wants to drive a manual he gets in an older 911. Thought it was an interesting point of view.

Both are great transmissions, but I personally regretted my 997 PDK and sold it to get back into a manual. Im ok with “old” manual tech in my modern 911

Quick Reply: Anyone regret getting PDK?