Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret getting PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 08:23 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 574 Posts

My PDK/MT evolution is the reverse of many here on RL. I grew up driving automatics. Never drove a manual until I bought the Touring. The PDK is a brilliant transmission, so good that I previously created a "Shout Out for the PDK" thread here on RL. The six speed manual in the GT3 is truly sublime. The connection between man and machine can't fully be duplicated with a PDK transmission. Both are awesome transmissions in their own way. I am glad that I am lucky enough to have one of each.

The following users liked this post:
asellus (11-08-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 09:13 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 302 Posts
Default MT engine friction

I have to agree. And in rain or snow downshifting allows for more engine friction, much safer than pdk.

Originally Posted by zelig
I beg to differ regarding safety. I have had two accidents at red lights and my wife had one. In all the accidents, a driver turned to get something from the rear seat and their foot slipped off the brake.. My vehicle was hit from the rear as their car lurched forward. Another time my master brake cylinder failed as I exited a highway. I was able use my manual transmission to engine brake. None of these cars were Porsches.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I have to agree. And in rain or snow downshifting allows for more engine friction, much safer than pdk.

With PDK you can downshift or take your foot off the gas, so I'm not sure I understand the "much safer" rationale.

If you want a manual, get a manual, but let's not exaggerate the benefits.
The following 5 users liked this post by Porschejam:
Big Swole (11-10-2020), maschinetheist (11-07-2020), MidEngineRules (11-08-2020), shammerman (11-07-2020), smiles11 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Rain or snow

I stand by the assertion that in rain or snow I am always in the correct gear for the conditions. Sure an AT will emulate a MT (they have always had this capability). 99.45 percent of the time (scientifically derived #) AT drivers don't do this in rain or snow meaning they are in the wrong gear.
​​Of course everyone knows you are in the .65 percent that always manually shifts your AT.

Originally Posted by Porschejam
With PDK you can downshift or take your foot off the gas, so I'm not sure I understand the "much safer" rationale.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:25 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,555 Posts

I stand by the assertion that in rain or snow I am always in the correct gear for the conditions. Sure an AT will emulate a MT (they have always had this capability). 99.45 percent of the time (scientifically derived #) AT drivers don't do this in rain or snow meaning they are in the wrong gear.
​​Of course everyone knows you are in the .65 percent that always manually shifts your AT.
None of your quoted stats mean anything.

Back in the day when manual gear boxes were all there were do you know how many rear end traffic light collisions happened when the driver leaned over to grab something off the passenger seat and their foot slipped off the clutch? The answer is it happened all the time. A driver mistake is a driver mistake irregardless of transmission type.

As for rain or snow there are probably 90% of manual drivers who manually choose the wrong gear to drive in. Again bad driving is bad driving irregardless of transmission type.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 11-08-2020 at 04:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carlo_Carrera:
Big Swole (11-10-2020), maschinetheist (11-08-2020), shammerman (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 09:29 PM
Hedge Hog
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschejam

you can still drive a PDK car in manual and always be in the right gear. Not sure what you mean by at drivers don’t do this in rain and snow but since my first PDK car 5 years ago I’ve never driven it in full auto. I’m sure some do but I’m sure there are lots who use PDK as a manual without a third pedal and realise it’s potential. Not saying PDK is better or worse but it’s definitely personal opinion

FTR
here in the Uk we grew up on manual cars and I never thought I would embrace an auto.
My previous 911s were manual but the GTS I’ve owned for the last 5 years has PDK and I wouldn’t go back unless going to an old classic
Old 11-08-2020, 09:54 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Hedge Hog
you can still drive a PDK car in manual and always be in the right gear. Not sure what you mean by at drivers don’t do this in rain and snow but since my first PDK car 5 years ago I’ve never driven it in full auto. I’m sure some do but I’m sure there are lots who use PDK as a manual without a third pedal and realise it’s potential. Not saying PDK is better or worse but it’s definitely personal opinion

FTR
here in the Uk we grew up on manual cars and I never thought I would embrace an auto.
My previous 911s were manual but the GTS I’ve owned for the last 5 years has PDK and I wouldn’t go back unless going to an old classic

Spoken like a pdk owner who would advertise his car as a manual. Hope all is well in the UK. Miss spending time there. Cheers!

Last edited by 737gdog; 11-08-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:06 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

You can assert anything you want. After all, it's the internet.

But just because it's a manual car doesn't mean you're in the right gear.

I've had both manual and PDK transmissions. Seems to me it's about 99% personal preference.

Last edited by Porschejam; 11-08-2020 at 10:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 06:24 AM
Hedge Hog
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 737gdog
Spoken like a pdk owner who would advertise his car as a manual. Hope all is well in the UK. Miss spending time there. Cheers!
?, I specced PDK when I bought mine because that’s what I wanted, and that’s what I would advertise it as if I were to sell it.
definitely no regrets
All well here in the south despite going through another lockdown. At least I’m still getting to drive for essentials and work fortunately😅
Old 11-09-2020, 08:09 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Hmm...

The statistic was given tongue in cheek which is why i offered it as scientific. Humor much ?

It does not seem to make sense buying an AT just to pretend you have a manual but i would never own a blow up doll either.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
None of your quoted stats mean anything.

Back in the day when manual gear boxes were all there were do you know how many rear end traffic light collisions happened when the driver leaned over to grab something off the passenger seat and their foot slipped off the clutch? The answer is it happened all the time. A driver mistake is a driver mistake irregardless of transmission type.

As for rain or snow there are probably 90% of manual drivers who manually choose the wrong gear to drive in. Again bad driving is bad driving irregardless of transmission type.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:54 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 523 Posts

OMG, its amazing how much Butt Hurt topics like this invoke
The following 3 users liked this post by B Russ:
Big Swole (11-10-2020), Bud Taylor (11-10-2020), CT_Peter (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 08:03 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,321 Posts

MT vs AT
Y'all got it all wrong!! lol

PDK = AMT. (Automated MANUAL Transmission!! )
I have one AT (RAM 4x4 Diesel) Two MT cars (Ferrari 308 and VW GTI), and one AMT (991.2TTS). I'm blessed to drive which ever of the 3 types I feel like.

Like said above, the "butt hurt" is always so funny to me. EVERY reply here is SUBJECTIVE to That Poster. Nothing more. What they have Is perfect for THEM and none other.
So in a since, Every Reply is CORRECT!!

As you were.............

The following 4 users liked this post by Big Swole:
Gripster (11-30-2020), ngamountains (11-10-2020), Rocketcar (05-17-2021), SConn (11-11-2020)
Old 07-24-2021, 05:28 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 236 Posts

I sold my manual Spyder and got a 992s pdk. Now I’m trading my 992s for a manual boxster gts because I missed it so much. This is a weekend car which will never be tracked. If it was going to see the track my outlook would probably be very different.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:00 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

No
Old 07-24-2021, 06:01 PM
JOSCAL
Instructor

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

My current T is my first PDK and I’m very happy with it but I do miss manual at times, particularly in sport mode when in auto it holds the gears too long (I know I can change it manually but still!)

On the fence which to go for on my 992T order, swaying towards manual but I’ve only had the car a few months so maybe I’ll get used to it as it is still new to me. The PDK is brilliant to have in traffic though and makes so much sense for that alone.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret getting PDK?