Sponsored by:

Anyone regret getting PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 11:39 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

/\ /\ /\

It's not often that someone refers to PDK as Automatic - refreshing.
No regrets here, as I decided to take a swan song with my 7Speed MT.
At the time of purchase word on the street was that MT's were going to be shelved.. only to be revived numerous times.
The following users liked this post:
B Russ (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 01:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

PDK is, unquestionably, excellent. And I love that it offers people who can't (or don't wish to) use a manual gearbox to enjoy these cars on equal terms. I also prefer it on track, the autocross, and the autobahn.

Unfortunately, that's about 2% of my driving.

So I regretted ordering PDK years ago in a Cayman S. Fabulous on track or at an autocross, but I found myself bored on the street—to the point that I stopped driving the car and regularly stole my better half's pig-nosed GTI four-door just to enjoy shifting for myself. So, it's super personal, but every Porsche since then has had three pedals. The day they get rid of them, I suspect something will change when it comes to my affection for Porsche, much as whatever interest I had in Ferrari largely died when Maranello produced its final gated manual. Nice cars, incredible engines, lots of passion, but…no longer dreamy. For me, anyway. At that point, I may only look at new Porsches for track-day toys or pure daily drivers (Taycan, Macan, Panamera GTS, etc). YMMV…
Old 11-03-2020, 01:48 PM
jskenefick
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know if I'd call it regret. I looked for months to find a 991.1 GTS with a manual. Had a line on two and both were sold before I could make a deal on them. So I grew impatient with waiting, had sold my 996 and I took the PDK that was otherwise the right one. Would I rather have a manual, yes. Is the PDK excellent, mostly. I don't like that it upshifts so quickly, but in manual mode it is excellent. Same with Sport + if you are somewhere that you can wind it out in every gear. Launch control is always a hoot. But if given a choice of otherwise identical cars I'd always take the manual.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:11 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Went from a manual 987.2 to a PDK 991.2. I certainly feel a little less connected driving daily. The shifting it does is beautiful. Taking it to the track I could focus more on my braking and line and working on making all of that clean (all while feeling like I’m cheating..). Sport+ worked beautifully on the track. Driving in manual mode still feels funny to me, disconnected and awkward, not sure if I need to drive that way exclusively for a while.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:39 AM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Our 997 & 993 have MTs. Our 991.2 is a PDK, so we've got both driving options. I really enjoy the manuals for fun, weekend drives, but I'm at the stage in my life where I don't want to drive a manual in stop & go rush hour traffic. So, I'm lucky enough to have my pick, depending on my whims & traffic expectations. The PDK shifts far faster & more smoothly than I ever could. I see many posts where people say they feel disconnected from the vehicle unless it's a MT, but I don't feel that way at all.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:39 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

When it comes to feeling disconnected, I feel just the opposite of most. A manual transmission is so old and I've been driving them for so long, I don't even notice it any more. I couldn't tell you if one was better than another, it's such a sub conscience action. With the PDK and other modern manuals, you have so many modes and settings and you are always aware of the nuances of each one and figuring out which settings are best for a given environment.

Last edited by Balr14; 11-04-2020 at 10:41 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Balr14:
Big Swole (11-10-2020), Carlo_Carrera (11-05-2020), lbahoshy (06-08-2021), Rocketcar (05-17-2021), Semitone (11-04-2020), smiles11 (11-06-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-04-2020, 11:05 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
When it comes to feeling disconnected, I feel just the opposite of most. A manual transmission is so old and I've been driving them for so long, I don't even notice it any more. I couldn't tell you if one was better than another, it's such a sub conscience action. With the PDK and other modern manuals, you have so many modes and settings and you are always aware of the nuances of each one and figuring out which settings are best for a given environment.
And probably the only one that feels that way.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:33 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Ah! I should have been more clear, driving the PDK in manual mode feels disconnected. Driving a manual transmission feels completely natural and subconscious. My only going theory is I have something physical beyond the sound of the engine reminding me of what gear I’m in.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:19 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

When I was searching for my 911, I was indifferent as to transmission mainly because I knew I loved driving manuals but I also wanted to experience what, in some respects, is Porsche's crowning technological achievement. The PDK is arguably the best dual clutch transmission made. It has been a unique and good experience, though there is a learning curve in order to operate it to its full potential in various situations. While I am impressed with the function of the PDK, next time I would choose the MT.
AlexCeres (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Not the only one.
Big Swole (11-10-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I used to be a diehard manual transmission driver. But, I don't like to lock myself into the mindset that a car has to have specific features or equipment. I don't drive very much anymore, but when I do I like to experience new and different things.

Last edited by Balr14; 11-05-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Big Swole (11-10-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 01:37 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Foster
Ah! I should have been more clear, driving the PDK in manual mode feels disconnected. Driving a manual transmission feels completely natural and subconscious. My only going theory is I have something physical beyond the sound of the engine reminding me of what gear I’m in.
You bring up such a good point about knowing which gear you’re in by the position of the lever. I find myself having to look down too often to see what the “number” is.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:22 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

I used to be a diehard manual transmission driver. But, I don't like to lock myself into the mindset that a car has to have specific features or equipment. I don't drive very much anymore, but when I do I like to experience new and different things.

This reminds me of SNL’s Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey. Sorry, I couldn’t resist!
shammerman (11-05-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 06:52 PM
rhody718
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

When I started my journey into the brand a month ago, I was deadset on getting a manual Cayman. In the end, I bought a Carrera T PDK. The problem I've really found is that there are truly no "bad" options through the lineup. Even the flat 4 Cayman S was a blast to drive; cylinders and sound be damned the thing roared and felt like a rocket ship.

While I only "settled" for the PDK because the car had every other spec I wanted and the price was just right. Ripping through gears with the paddles is still a blast, and I won't get fatigued/annoyed in traffic. Plus it will be better for track days
The following 2 users liked this post by rhody718:
AlexCeres (11-06-2020), Big Swole (11-10-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 08:00 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by rhody718
When I started my journey into the brand a month ago, I was deadset on getting a manual Cayman. In the end, I bought a Carrera T PDK. The problem I've really found is that there are truly no "bad" options through the lineup. Even the flat 4 Cayman S was a blast to drive; cylinders and sound be damned the thing roared and felt like a rocket ship.

While I only "settled" for the PDK because the car had every other spec I wanted and the price was just right. Ripping through gears with the paddles is still a blast, and I won't get fatigued/annoyed in traffic. Plus it will be better for track days
Indeed. There are no bad options. It's mostly the flavor you feel like today. A few might be dishes not suited to one, personally, like shell fish.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret getting PDK?