Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 08:06 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 301 Likes on 200 Posts

I did three 0-60 runs today--once just flooring it and 2 times using launch control with stability control OFF. As expected, launch control is the way to go to achieve max performance. I've used launch control on my other cars but it was the first time on my GTS. OAT was 69F, tires were stock P Zeros, and the tire pressure was 35 PSI in the rears; I normal run 29 PSI in the front and 30 PSI in the rears but must've warmed up during my "spirited" drive. It was on regular side streets which I found to be smooth; the streets in OC are fairly good, I'd say. The data is from the COBB Accessport.
1st run: Sport Mode, WOT from stop, 3.38 seconds. The rears lost traction, which felt like eternity.
2nd run: Sport Mode, Launch Control, 3.23 seconds. The rears lost traction and not as bad as the first run. Same street/spot as the first run.
3rd run: Sport Plus Mode, Launch Control, 3.116 seconds (see attached). The rears lost traction again but not as bad as the first two times. This was on a different street with what appeared to be better asphalt.

I think if I had better tires (ie. Michelins), lower tire pressure, and better pavement, the times will definitely improve to possibly even under 3 seconds. The rears not hooking up from launch is the biggest culprit. Still, I think these are impressive numbers from just a simple tune and a few mods.
The following users liked this post:
Omega4 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 08:39 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I did three 0-60 runs today--once just flooring it and 2 times using launch control with stability control OFF. As expected, launch control is the way to go to achieve max performance. I've used launch control on my other cars but it was the first time on my GTS. OAT was 69F, tires were stock P Zeros, and the tire pressure was 35 PSI in the rears; I normal run 29 PSI in the front and 30 PSI in the rears but must've warmed up during my "spirited" drive. It was on regular side streets which I found to be smooth; the streets in OC are fairly good, I'd say. The data is from the COBB Accessport.
1st run: Sport Mode, WOT from stop, 3.38 seconds. The rears lost traction, which felt like eternity.
2nd run: Sport Mode, Launch Control, 3.23 seconds. The rears lost traction and not as bad as the first run. Same street/spot as the first run.
3rd run: Sport Plus Mode, Launch Control, 3.116 seconds (see attached). The rears lost traction again but not as bad as the first two times. This was on a different street with what appeared to be better asphalt.

I think if I had better tires (ie. Michelins), lower tire pressure, and better pavement, the times will definitely improve to possibly even under 3 seconds. The rears not hooking up from launch is the biggest culprit. Still, I think these are impressive numbers from just a simple tune and a few mods.
I really never saw 0-60 times improve with the tune. A rwd GTS with cats and headers is already becoming traction limited. Flash back to stock and do some launches, see if your results are the same. But 60-130 and 1/4 mile improvements are impressive
Old 01-18-2020, 08:57 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsmich
I really never saw 0-60 times improve with the tune. A rwd GTS with cats and headers is already becoming traction limited. Flash back to stock and do some launches, see if your results are the same. But 60-130 and 1/4 mile improvements are impressive
I do remember the first WOT from a stop after installing cats, headers, and BMC air filter...definitely lost traction. I'd have to go on a track for the 60-130 and 1/4 mile pulls but I definitely feel it pulling harder than before the tune on my spirited drives. Do have 1/4 mile times?

Last edited by luv2sleep; 01-18-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:22 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

I do remember the first WOT from a stop after installing cats, headers, and BMC air filter...definitely lost traction. I'd have to go on a track for the 60-130 and 1/4 mile pulls but I definitely feel it pulling harder than before the tune on my spirited drives. Do have 1/4 mile times?
My best 1/4 is 11.24@130.3
Flashed back to stock was 11.55@123.8
!/4 times for me are almost identical thru 330' - 5.01 to 5.04
I have a 91 pro-tune, akra cats/exhaust,headers,intercoolers, and BMC.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsmich:
luv2sleep (01-19-2020), polobai (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:54 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

I had an almost identical experience on my GTS. As delivered spun the wheels from a stopped start. Reduced the crazy delivery tire pressure to 32psi cold and traction was good. Then installed Vektor headers and soul cats and the Pzeros struggled with traction even at the low pressures, could loose traction even into 2nd. It definitely made a noticeable torque difference! Installed BMC filter afterwards and it definitely made an audible difference but likely minimal performance. Then I switched to MPSC2’s and traction was definitely improved to similar to pre headers and cats.

With a pro tune on a GTS I’m pretty sure it will be traction limited even with the MPSC2’s.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:34 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Interested to hear from anyone who has a similar setup to mine with a tune or pro tune.

How is the car on the twisties? With headers, cats and BMC mine definitely has become more of a handful even with the MPSC2’s.

I have noticed more occasions of the rear stepping out and to a larger degree. Curious to know if a tuned car loses some of its drivability on the twisties. Driving on the twisties is what reminds me why I bought the car.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:43 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Interested to hear from anyone who has a similar setup to mine with a tune or pro tune.

How is the car on the twisties? With headers, cats and BMC mine definitely has become more of a handful even with the MPSC2’s.

I have noticed more occasions of the rear stepping out and to a larger degree. Curious to know if a tuned car loses some of its drivability on the twisties. Driving on the twisties is what reminds me why I bought the car.
fsmich also has Vektor headers, akrapovic cats and exhaust, I think ams intercoolers, and bmc filter with a protune. He takes his on road courses.

I imagine with a protune, the throttle response can be modified. I.e. torque demand vs throttle position. So, if you find it too fast. It can be dialed slower. Otherwise, just more practice with throttle modulation.

A customized throttle map is common in motorsports. A friend was an engine calibrator for Honda indycars and he was assigned to specific drivers. Every driver got the engine calibrated to their preferences for every track. In MotoGP, the throttle mapping can even be changed depending on track location, I.e for specific corners, the mapping could be different.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:36 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I'd rather have more power than I can handle. As spdracerut said, just learn to modulate the throttle better. Practicing is the fun part. C4 GTS would fare better in the traction department but more fun to be had in a C2 for me.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:23 AM
slocumda@yahoo.com
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Did you start with the Stage 2 Map? Or are your final #s close to the Stage 2 #s?
Sorry for taking so long to answer this question but the response from TPC to this question was, the map is a custom map that Mike Lavitas created on our 991.2 shop car. This TPC custom map is optimized for 93 octane. The ECU will self adjust to different octane changes."
Old 01-25-2020, 06:38 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 561 Posts

Ohhh sit

Not sure when Ill get to mess with it, hopefully next week
The following users liked this post:
Omega4 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:13 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Good to see it. I had some fun tonight in Sport+ - pulled much harder than Sport. and I am still running Stage 1.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:06 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 544 Posts

Good to see it. I had some fun tonight in Sport+ - pulled much harder than Sport. and I am still running Stage 1.
Have you launched it yet? Any traction loss?
Old 01-25-2020, 10:14 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
Have you launched it yet? Any traction loss?
I launch it after every stop, but not traction loss since PSM stays on and mine is AWD - is that what you are asking?
Old 01-25-2020, 11:14 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 544 Posts

I launch it after every stop, but not traction loss since PSM stays on and mine is AWD - is that what you are asking?
kind of...you use launch control regularly since the Cobb tune?
Old 01-25-2020, 11:20 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
kind of...you use launch control regularly since the Cobb tune?
Correct: right foot down while slowly easing off with the left foot, in 1st gear (I have a manual)!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results