Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 07:39 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

I just did this upgrade on my 991.1S using a GPS adaptor and Macan wheel I bought on ebay but I'm having an issue. The MF controls work correctly 100% of the time when I just open ignition without starting the car but when I start the car it's a 50/50 chance of it working. Some times the MF work fine but other times the MF controls are frozen after startup and nothing works until I restart the car. I tried a new GPS unit but I'm still having the same issue. Not sure if the controller module that came with the wheel has an issue. Can anyone who has done this mod share what the part number is on the steering wheel module they are using is?
Old 05-17-2024, 02:50 AM
ramiy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to buy another harness because the ones they sent was faulty. Speak to the Chinese guy, try to get a discount, video call them and show them the errors or the malfunction.

Old 05-18-2024, 09:30 PM
GermanCarFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I just did this upgrade on my 991.1S using a GPS adaptor and Macan wheel I bought on ebay but I'm having an issue. The MF controls work correctly 100% of the time when I just open ignition without starting the car but when I start the car it's a 50/50 chance of it working. Some times the MF work fine but other times the MF controls are frozen after startup and nothing works until I restart the car. I tried a new GPS unit but I'm still having the same issue. Not sure if the controller module that came with the wheel has an issue. Can anyone who has done this mod share what the part number is on the steering wheel module they are using is?

Is your steering wheel a GENUINE OEM or a chinese knock off? I've heard of this happening with imitation steering wheels. He also states on his website ONLY WORKS WITH OEM

Old 05-20-2024, 10:09 AM
Buck366
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, I read through the entire thread. Still confused. Sorry 2014 C2S PTK SC with a Sport Design Steering wheel with Paddles. I bought a 991.2 Wheel with MF, no heat and no Chrono dial. Will this be a plug and play or do I need an adapter? From what I'm reading, I will still have duel paddle pull neutral as well.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:52 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

You do need the GPS module to make the MF controls work and you will lose dual paddle nuetral. I just did this and from what I can tell once you program system to have MF controls on the steering wheel instead of stalk then the dual paddle nuetral will not work. I have a cobb PDK tune that gives me dual paddle nuetral but still will not work unless car is coded as not have MF wheel. So I think it's one or the other.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:24 PM
peteburrito
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, thread has been very helpful, I just have a couple clarification questions if anyone could chime in.

Have: 2014 991.1 turbo with sport design wheel, no heat, car has sport chrono
Want: 991.2 style wheel with MF, no heat, no mode switch
Use gps STMV1 with selections 1, 3, 3 on their website (1. new wheel no heat, 3. old wheel sport design no heat, 3. model year 991.1)

2 questions:
1. everything is plug and play correct? MF on new wheel will work because even tho my old wheel has no MF, I have sport chrono and I believe someone mentioned early in the thread that the sport chrono means I have the same module/harness as the MF cars. Please correct me if wrong and additional coding is needed.
2. are all the porsche steering wheels and airbags of that style the exact same? Like the 991.2 style wheel and airbag can be from Macan, Cayenne, Caymen, etc, right? I've been having difficulty finding reasonable priced airbags, some seem to cost less than others and I was wondering if there was a reason. From a manufacturing point it doesn't make sense why they would be different.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:45 PM
ramiy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Pro tip: Don’t go cheap on the airbag
Old 05-25-2024, 06:45 PM
GermanCarFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by peteburrito
Hey guys, thread has been very helpful, I just have a couple clarification questions if anyone could chime in.

Have: 2014 991.1 turbo with sport design wheel, no heat, car has sport chrono
Want: 991.2 style wheel with MF, no heat, no mode switch
Use gps STMV1 with selections 1, 3, 3 on their website (1. new wheel no heat, 3. old wheel sport design no heat, 3. model year 991.1)

2 questions:
1. everything is plug and play correct? MF on new wheel will work because even tho my old wheel has no MF, I have sport chrono and I believe someone mentioned early in the thread that the sport chrono means I have the same module/harness as the MF cars. Please correct me if wrong and additional coding is needed.
2. are all the porsche steering wheels and airbags of that style the exact same? Like the 991.2 style wheel and airbag can be from Macan, Cayenne, Caymen, etc, right? I've been having difficulty finding reasonable priced airbags, some seem to cost less than others and I was wondering if there was a reason. From a manufacturing point it doesn't make sense why they would be different.
Please share a picture of what you have currently..

If you have sport chrono, and a MF steering wheel with buttons on it to scroll through your dash. You need to get the same MF wheel in a .2 or Macan / 95B.

If you have the sport steering wheel with NO CONTROLS and your sport chrono controls are located on the extra stalk that comes off the steering column, you DO NOT NEED a MF steering wheel, just the SPORT wheel with paddle shifters.

You might not need a GPS adapter if your Chrono control are on the extra stalk. Straight plug and play since no electronics are being swapped over.
Old 05-25-2024, 06:46 PM
peteburrito
7th Gear

O I get it, I'm not talking about the shipped from china ebay sellers "brand new OE wheel and airbag" combo for <1000.

I was asking more along the lines of, why does suncoast sell the Macan airbag for $900 but requires a vin vs the replacement airbag at 1400, same photo for both.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skuairbag95b.html
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...IRBAG9912.html

Or this Cayenne one for 1000
https://porsche.oempartsonline.com/o...QtOGwtdjgtZ2Fz

Most used ones I see on ebay are at 1100, just trying to figure out why the vast difference if they are all the same (as some people say) or if I'm missing something.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2024, 06:53 PM
peteburrito
7th Gear

Originally Posted by GermanCarFan1
Please share a picture of what you have currently..

If you have sport chrono, and a MF steering wheel with buttons on it to scroll through your dash. You need to get the same MF wheel in a .2 or Macan / 95B.

If you have the sport steering wheel with NO CONTROLS and your sport chrono controls are located on the extra stalk that comes off the steering column, you DO NOT NEED a MF steering wheel, just the SPORT wheel with paddle shifters.

You might not need a GPS adapter if your Chrono control are on the extra stalk. Straight plug and play since no electronics are being swapped over.
I have sport chrono but no MF, photo attached.
I was hoping to add MF function of the buttons with the new wheels, as I thought I had read that sport chrono means you get the same module/harness as the MF wheel. Or is this incorrect and I cannot add MF?
Appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade