How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 03:15 AM
reinartdesign
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

• 991.555.625.01 Camera Mount, Windshield (Incl. w/ windscreen) *
  • 991.541.911.15 Windshield, Camera Mount, Tinted Upper *

Can someone verify if these part numbers are correct for a 991.2 Coupe? My glass shop told me the windshield is for a cabriolet. I also cant found the camera mount part number in any parts website.

Right now I need the proper windshield and the cover for the camera unit.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:17 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by reinartdesign
  • 991.555.625.01 Camera Mount, Windshield (Incl. w/ windscreen) *
  • 991.541.911.15 Windshield, Camera Mount, Tinted Upper *

Can someone verify if these part numbers are correct for a 991.2 Coupe? My glass shop told me the windshield is for a cabriolet. I also cant found the camera mount part number in any parts website.

Right now I need the proper windshield and the cover for the camera unit.
So, I can't speak for the glass part number (I did this project on a 718 Cayman), but the Camera Mount part number that chris2 listed was just informational: it can't be bought separately (it's included with the glass and already glued to it). As for the glass, you might want to ask someone with a 991 coupe and PDLS+ for their VIN and send that to your shop to look it up.

You'll also need a few things that are not mentioned in this guide (chris2 is still waiting for his windshield to crack, so he hasn't finished the project quite yet, but I just completed it). Both a 991 and a 718 also need (same parts):
  • Mirror Stem Covers (these are wider than the ones on non-PDLS+ windshields): 991-555-525-02-1E0 and 991-555-526-02-1E0
  • Mobile phone antenna (smaller version for windshield mount w/ camera): 971-035-503-A
Your life will be slightly easier if 991s already include that mobile phone antenna, but I suspect non-PDLS+ 991s also use the bulkier one that will not fit in the new glass mount. I have a lot of notes and pictures about the subject in the guide I wrote (adapted from chris2's here), including how you go about getting the camera fully operational: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...-retrofit.html
Old 07-14-2022, 06:01 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reinartdesign
I did some digging and it seems your glass shop appears to be right about the 991-541-911-15 windshield only being for the Cab. I found a site that actually breaks down all the various 991.2 windshield options and their part numbers (the standard Porsche catalog on sites like Sunset have very little information). If that site is to be believed, here are the 4 possible windshields with the camera mount for a Coupe:

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/diagr...ON+POUR+CAMERA -- It looks like if you want the upper tinted shade band, then 991-541-911-14 is the one to get (option code I567).

And here are the Cabriolet versions, which includes 991-541-911-15:

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/diagr...ON+POUR+CAMERA

Last edited by martopoulos; 07-14-2022 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:18 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Out of curiosity, there's a single web page that sells all these connectors/plugs?
I used mouser.com. Has all the TE stuff and more.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:18 AM
reinartdesign
Track Day

Originally Posted by martopoulos
So, I can't speak for the glass part number (I did this project on a 718 Cayman), but the Camera Mount part number that chris2 listed was just informational: it can't be bought separately (it's included with the glass and already glued to it). As for the glass, you might want to ask someone with a 991 coupe and PDLS+ for their VIN and send that to your shop to look it up.

You'll also need a few things that are not mentioned in this guide (chris2 is still waiting for his windshield to crack, so he hasn't finished the project quite yet, but I just completed it). Both a 991 and a 718 also need (same parts):
  • Mirror Stem Covers (these are wider than the ones on non-PDLS+ windshields): 991-555-525-02-1E0 and 991-555-526-02-1E0
  • Mobile phone antenna (smaller version for windshield mount w/ camera): 971-035-503-A
Your life will be slightly easier if 991s already include that mobile phone antenna, but I suspect non-PDLS+ 991s also use the bulkier one that will not fit in the new glass mount. I have a lot of notes and pictures about the subject in the guide I wrote (adapted from chris2's here), including how you go about getting the camera fully operational: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...-retrofit.html
Thank you for this, this is exactly the cover i'm looking for. Thankfully I didnt go and order the glass online. I had my local glass shop find me the correct one for coupe.

Be warned everyone, the glass in the original post is for cabriolet.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:13 PM
DutchPorsche
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problems commissioning pdls +

Hi guys,
i am having trouble commissioning pdls+ headlights on a 991.1 TTS i have been searching for month now and read all forums without succes. Can anybody help me out?

The car is a 991.1 with PDLS + (2014)
it had a accident on the front left so we decided to updrade it with 991.2 PDLS + GT3 headligths (2018)

We changed the wiring diagram so that each headlight has its own Can lines (like in the wiring diagram of a 2018 car)
in Piwis under headlights all parts show numbers except the igniters (led modules) these are blank. The modules on the headlights are brand new Porsche dealer delivered 7PP941572BB modules. When i go to commission the headlights it stops at 6 percent and does not go further because “no relevant programming rules”
Could it be that the gateway can not communicate because its older that the modules (991.1 not 991.2)?

I am out of ideas!
all tips are welcome!
Old 07-15-2022, 04:22 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DutchPorsche
Hi guys,
We changed the wiring diagram so that each headlight has its own Can lines (like in the wiring diagram of a 2018 car)
in Piwis under headlights all parts show numbers except the igniters (led modules) these are blank. The modules on the headlights are brand new Porsche dealer delivered 7PP941572BB modules. When i go to commission the headlights it stops at 6 percent and does not go further because “no relevant programming rules”
Could it be that the gateway can not communicate because its older that the modules (991.1 not 991.2)?
The "no relevant programming rules found" and missing module part numbers in PIWIS' Headlights diagnostic menu, are symptoms of transposed CAN High/Low wires. Triple check your wiring. One way to confirm is to check voltages with a multimeter: CAN low should be ~2.3V and high ~2.7V. They may not be exactly these voltages, but ensure that the CAN high has a higher voltage than the low one. If it doesn't, you have your wires crossed. If they both read 2.5V, you may have a short, instead, which can be caused by a long, dangling (i.e. unterminated) wire connected to the CAN bus, in addition to the usual causes of shorts.
The following users liked this post:
DutchPorsche (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 11:49 AM
DutchPorsche
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you my friend for your help! 😉
i will measure everything and let you know.
Just a quick question as to the “open/unterminated” can bus. Is a canbus wire that is connected to a connector ( let say a connector of a headlight ) but the headlight is not installed seen as unterminated? In other words, do alle components like drl in bumper etc need to be mounted before headlights can be commissioned.
Another quick question, does it matter if the canbus cable is cut 10cm after de connector on both sides and soldered to extend the cable? Measured resistance is less than 1 ohm on the cable.

Best regards!

Old 07-16-2022, 06:21 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DutchPorsche
Just a quick question as to the “open/unterminated” can bus. Is a canbus wire that is connected to a connector ( let say a connector of a headlight ) but the headlight is not installed seen as unterminated? In other words, do alle components like drl in bumper etc need to be mounted before headlights can be commissioned.
Yeah, that would be considered unterminated. It's possible that the CAN bus would behave as if there's an electrical short. That said, if the unterminated wires are very short in length, it shouldn't cause problems. I couldn't say what the maximum length is, though. It's definitely a sensitive architecture.

Another quick question, does it matter if the canbus cable is cut 10cm after de connector on both sides and soldered to extend the cable? Measured resistance is less than 1 ohm on the cable.
It's totally fine to extend the wires with solders, taps, etc. There is, however, a point where even a fully connected device may not communicate if that wire is very long, but I've had some fairly lengthy ones myself without a problem.

Last edited by martopoulos; 07-16-2022 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:25 AM
ruslan.v
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Patrick Knefel
Hi Guys, I have done this conversion (PDSL Xenon to PDSL LED) on my 991.1 2012 and have a problem with the PIWIS coding.
The LED lights are working on basic functions (daylight, driving light and high beam) when the AFS module is disconnected, so i assume the wireing was done properly.
When I connect the AFS module and start PIWIS, I see the AFS module and all 4 modules from the LED lights.
The LED lights are than not working properly (only one of the LED are shining) But when I start the coding and calibration, i got several erros.
My suggestion is, that my BCM cannot handle the LEDs because it's from 2012 and I think the LED came from 2014 upwards.
The part number of my BCM is 7PP.907.064FL. Although the lights are not recognised via the Gateway.
Maybe the Gateway is also too old. Has anybody of you done this conversion on a 991.1 <2014 or can help me to choose the right BCM and Gateway?
Hello. I'm trying to upgrade headlights in my 911 991.1 and have the same issue like Patrick. Gateway number is 7PP907530L. Is it safe to flash it to 7PP907530Q or S from flash database ? Thanks !
Old 07-30-2022, 07:45 PM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ruslan.v
Hello. I'm trying to upgrade headlights in my 911 991.1 and have the same issue like Patrick. Gateway number is 7PP907530L. Is it safe to flash it to 7PP907530Q or S from flash database ? Thanks !
I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately, but note that if you replace the gateway, it has Component Protection and is paired with the airbag module, which may not be possible to get around without a dealer's help. Most wouldn't likely be willing to touch it, though.
The following users liked this post:
ruslan.v (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 01:41 PM
ruslan.v
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by martopoulos
I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately, but note that if you replace the gateway, it has Component Protection and is paired with the airbag module, which may not be possible to get around without a dealer's help. Most wouldn't likely be willing to touch it, though.
Thanks for honest answer. I have no choice at this moment , have to try
Old 12-04-2022, 09:35 PM
SLOWGT
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@chris2 I currently have bi-xenon PDLS lights on my 991.2 GT3. I wanted to see if you think I can make these lights work with my car? This is my first Porsche/GT car, so excuse my lack of knowledge/understanding.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1306616

JD
Old 12-05-2022, 10:03 AM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

One quick question... are the LED lights on the 991 Turbo S and 991.1 RS the same? I see that the Turbo S only has 4 dots... but the RS has the round ring with 4 dots... or is that just my mind messing with me? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2023, 03:40 PM
Honda1o8
Rennlist Member

Im not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but has anyone tried or have these LED headlights from aliexpress? They claim it is a direct plug and play for 991 pcars from 2012 to 2018. They look like the new laser headlights from the newest 911's.

I could only find a couple of reviews on their site from possibly thailand or the Philippines that say they work.

And yes I know they are from China and could be cheap but I would think/hope they are made with better quality as they are made for Porsche cars.

Anyone with insight please let me know. Thanks!

Google aliexpress Porsche 911 headlights or use the link to see what Im taking about.

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256804...andl_shipto=US

Quick Reply: How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit