Sponsored by:

How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 01:48 PM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep that's the one. Someone with factory PDLS+ should try setting those two options and let us know what happens.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:50 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by martopoulos
Yep that's the one. Someone with factory PDLS+ should try setting those two options and let us know what happens.
I'll go set byte5 right now and let you know tonight.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:10 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Byte5 was disabled. Set it to enabled, coded, headlamps went through their initialization as they normally do when you write, but otherwise no detectable change (at least in my garage). I'll try to find an excuse to drive after dark and see if I notice anything.

Any idea what I'm actually looking for? A quick search and I'm not finding the exact difference in behaviour between USDM and ROW PDLS+. I was under the impression that it worked similarly to the new matrix light system on the 992 in that it wasn't an all on/all off situation with the high beams.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:36 PM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
Byte5 was disabled. Set it to enabled, coded, headlamps went through their initialization as they normally do when you write, but otherwise no detectable change (at least in my garage). I'll try to find an excuse to drive after dark and see if I notice anything.

Any idea what I'm actually looking for? A quick search and I'm not finding the exact difference in behaviour between USDM and ROW PDLS+. I was under the impression that it worked similarly to the new matrix light system on the 992 in that it wasn't an all on/all off situation with the high beams.
My understanding is the same. In theory it'll continuously turn off parts of the high beam as it detects oncoming cars, etc. So, it might be subtle. One headlight keeps the full highbeam, the other reduces brightness? That's what I recall reading, anyway.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:42 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by martopoulos
My understanding is the same. In theory it'll continuously turn off parts of the high beam as it detects oncoming cars, etc. So, it might be subtle. One headlight keeps the full highbeam, the other reduces brightness? That's what I recall reading, anyway.
Yeah, that's what I was under the impression of.

Sorry to say there were no detectable differences with the highbeams in auto mode. Still virtually useless in the suburbs here, bordering on a liability as they were flashing on and off as they detected themselves on reflective signs.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:14 PM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry to say there were no detectable differences with the highbeams in auto mode. Still virtually useless in the suburbs here, bordering on a liability as they were flashing on and off as they detected themselves on reflective signs.
​​​​​​
Shoot. Good to know. Thanks for trying. I do wonder if there's a missing step. We need some euro owner to send us a screenshot of their PIWIS output.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:30 PM
snowbooch
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry if I missed it in the discussion or search (tried): how would this work on the 991.2 GT3?

Some reading suggests there’s no ‘plus’ with the GT3, so would that make it easier/eliminate the camera error issues? I assume the housing hardware is different as well.

I’d love to do this retrofit over the holidays so thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-19-2020, 12:33 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snowbooch
Sorry if I missed it in the discussion or search (tried): how would this work on the 991.2 GT3?

Some reading suggests there’s no ‘plus’ with the GT3, so would that make it easier/eliminate the camera error issues? I assume the housing hardware is different as well.

I’d love to do this retrofit over the holidays so thanks in advance for the help!
I'm no expert on the matter but I couldn't see why it wouldn't be possible if you throw enough money at it. Same chassis and all that. You'd need the PDLS headlamp assemblies, wiring, windshield, camera stuff, all that.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:33 PM
snowbooch
Track Day

I'm no expert on the matter but I couldn't see why it wouldn't be possible if you throw enough money at it. Same chassis and all that. You'd need the PDLS headlamp assemblies, wiring, windshield, camera stuff, all that.
Hopefully not too much but agreed! My question is on the windshield and camera — I’m just interested in the LEDs not the “+” functionality, therefore, if the GT3 never had them (assume this is for weight savings or fewer part variants), I’m trying to confirm I don’t need them but can otherwise use these parts/follow this DIY.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:32 PM
becausephilchow
Rennlist Member

I'm actually working with a large Retrofit Company located in Asia, Fredles E Shop, you can find them on Facebook.

He said they've done PDLS Retrofits before, and, I'm actually after the LEDs, not the + Functionality just like you want it too. He said it should be no problem, and they can do it.

I'll also be doing the Keyless Entry/Go Retrofit, a 991.2 Steering Wheel Retrofit, PDLS, and also Retrofitting 18-Way Electric Sport Seats. Will keep everybody posted.
The following users liked this post:
pazzom3 (04-20-2022)
Old 12-31-2020, 05:33 AM
snowbooch
Track Day

Originally Posted by becausephilchow
I'm actually working with a large Retrofit Company located in Asia, Fredles E Shop, you can find them on Facebook.

He said they've done PDLS Retrofits before, and, I'm actually after the LEDs, not the + Functionality just like you want it too. He said it should be no problem, and they can do it.

I'll also be doing the Keyless Entry/Go Retrofit, a 991.2 Steering Wheel Retrofit, PDLS, and also Retrofitting 18-Way Electric Sport Seats. Will keep everybody posted.
Keyless Go would be awesome.

So when you say they’re working on it, do you mean a ‘kit’ of parts/harnesses?
Old 01-25-2021, 05:18 AM
bubblebeard2011
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have the wiring diagram for cayenne 2019 headlights ??? Would really appreciate it

I have piwis 2 but it only goes up to 2017

I want to try and compare the headlight to my current ones because every time I try to code them it says no programming data found
Old 03-09-2021, 12:31 AM
jaysc
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Bummer! I believe that the EU/ROW spec is brighter in "high" as well. I'm super interested in making this change but have scoured the internet pretty decently and have yet to find anything indicating how this might be done. Seems that byte5 was the best shot.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:48 AM
chris2
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by snowbooch

My car is a GT3. It's a 991.1 but theoretically doing your 991.2 would be the same process. I believe the biggest change was how the headlights are mounted, requiring bumper removal to get at.

That's a bummer. I still haven't attempted to install the camera (still no need for a new windshield), but I'll look at it more when I do.

If it's not coding then sure there's a firmware difference, somebody with a ROW car should chime in with a VAL file, if they could be so kind.

Last edited by chris2; 03-09-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:21 PM
Patrick Knefel
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, I have done this conversion (PDSL Xenon to PDSL LED) on my 991.1 2012 and have a problem with the PIWIS coding.
The LED lights are working on basic functions (daylight, driving light and high beam) when the AFS module is disconnected, so i assume the wireing was done properly.
When I connect the AFS module and start PIWIS, I see the AFS module and all 4 modules from the LED lights.
The LED lights are than not working properly (only one of the LED are shining) But when I start the coding and calibration, i got several erros.
My suggestion is, that my BCM cannot handle the LEDs because it's from 2012 and I think the LED came from 2014 upwards.
The part number of my BCM is 7PP.907.064FL. Although the lights are not recognised via the Gateway.
Maybe the Gateway is also too old. Has anybody of you done this conversion on a 991.1 <2014 or can help me to choose the right BCM and Gateway?

Quick Reply: How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit