Sponsored by:

How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 12:37 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2
Here's a very quick and dirty guide on how to go from Xenon headlights to LED headlights.
Great job - if this is quick and dirty, I think my head would explode with your more detailed posts!
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (02-08-2020)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:28 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

gotta love Rennlist, kudos to the OP
Old 08-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

Chris,

so did your replace your windshield then?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:25 AM
chris2
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
Chris,

so did your replace your windshield then?
Not yet, I did the wiring for the camera module but need to call up and get the glass installed
Old 08-30-2019, 07:46 AM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Strong work op: I have a set of 991:2 silver led for sale, perfect condition if anyone needs potentially for the swap. Selling them for 1/2 the price of new!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1156838
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (12-08-2020)
Old 09-04-2019, 07:29 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

Hi Chris

thanks did your feedback.

If if you can document the windshield replacement, that’d be great - I am interested in this!

thanks again for your great post and for the inspiration!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:32 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Where did you find a crimp tool for 16-20 AWG? I can only find 16-14
Old 01-27-2020, 09:56 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Excellent write up. Should be a sticky.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:51 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you don't have PDLS to begin with would this install still work? Background: over 90% of the parts are the same for 718s. I think I could adapt this guide and pull it off, but 718s do not come with even the base PDLS as standard, so I'm wondering if I'd be missing the hardware to make the headlights swivel in a corner and god knows what else...

EDIT: Another thread makes me think the equipment in this list will be sufficient.

Also, for anyone reading, when OP says "6x2" in the equipment list - that's not a strange way to list the quantity of the connectors, but rather the number of pins in the connector (2 rows of 6 pins). Was scratching my head about that one for a bit.

Last edited by martopoulos; 01-30-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:17 PM
chris2
Instructor

Originally Posted by martopoulos
If you don't have PDLS to begin with would this install still work? Background: over 90% of the parts are the same for 718s. I think I could adapt this guide and pull it off, but 718s do not come with even the base PDLS as standard, so I'm wondering if I'd be missing the hardware to make the headlights swivel in a corner and god knows what else...

EDIT: Another thread makes me think the equipment in this list will be sufficient.

Also, for anyone reading, when OP says "6x2" in the equipment list - that's not a strange way to list the quantity of the connectors, but rather the number of pins in the connector (2 rows of 6 pins). Was scratching my head about that one for a bit.
I was actually thinking about wether or not the swiveling headlights use anything not installed in the base cars. I’m 99% certain the steering angle sensor used for PDLS is part of the steering rack, so I don’t see any reason you can’t just retrofit a non-PDLS car. You can view the steering angle data in PIWIS to make sure it’s present.

If you try it, let me know how it goes

Originally Posted by Watson
Hi Chris

thanks did your feedback.

If if you can document the windshield replacement, that’d be great - I am interested in this!

thanks again for your great post and for the inspiration!
Still haven’t replaced the windshield, waiting for a rock chip to crack it. I know it will happen eventually and don’t want it to happen to the new glass
Old 02-01-2020, 08:19 PM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Chris! I've ordered all the parts, etc. and will be attempting this in the coming weeks.

One other question. In the Connect DRLsection, you have this step:

"You have two options: run both the existing DRL and PDLS+ DRLs, or run just PDLS+ DRLs. PDLS+ DRL cut the DRL wire in step 5, otherwise leave the DRL wires connected in place and simply tap your new wire into this."

Unfortunately, the thread messed up the numbering, so I'm a little confused about the "step 5" detail. I just want the PDLS+ DRLs, so which wire do I need to cut? Any clarification you can make about this step would be massively appreciated!! After I get this up and running, let me know if you're ever in LA so I can treat you to dinner or at least a case of your beer of choice!
Old 02-02-2020, 02:18 AM
chris2
Instructor

Originally Posted by martopoulos
Thanks, Chris! I've ordered all the parts, etc. and will be attempting this in the coming weeks.

One other question. In the Connect DRLsection, you have this step:

"You have two options: run both the existing DRL and PDLS+ DRLs, or run just PDLS+ DRLs. PDLS+ DRL cut the DRL wire in step 5, otherwise leave the DRL wires connected in place and simply tap your new wire into this."

Unfortunately, the thread messed up the numbering, so I'm a little confused about the "step 5" detail. I just want the PDLS+ DRLs, so which wire do I need to cut? Any clarification you can make about this step would be massively appreciated!! After I get this up and running, let me know if you're ever in LA so I can treat you to dinner or at least a case of your beer of choice!
I very well may have messed up the numbering, but I think it might be different on the 718. At least on my Cayman, the marker lights in the bumper aren't used as DRLs, as they are on my 991. Because the 991 without PDLS+ has to route the DRL wire to the front bumper instead of the headlight, you would hypothetically need to reroute/cut the wire to the old DRLs and install it into the headlight harness.

In your case, you can skip that step and just transfer the DRL wire to your new PDLS+ headlights at the same position (10). It should be a solid yellow or yellow/blue striped wire depending on the side.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:05 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Even better, thanks again!!!
Old 02-07-2020, 03:57 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting discovery today on my 718. The base Xenon lights already come with a 10-pin connector. Looks like 718 installations may be a bit less time consuming? The wiring shown in the pics below is from the driver's side.

Last edited by martopoulos; 02-23-2020 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Remove erroneous information
Old 02-07-2020, 06:07 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Also, one other thing I didn't understand about the leveling module instructions: "After connecting your three can lines (can crash, can private 1, can private 2) ..." Where are those two private lines coming from? In an earlier step, the passenger headlight's CAN crash low + high wires are connected to the leveling module. Those are the only two I recall being mentioned. Any guidance would be much appreciated! I'm so close to making this project happen (famous last words hah).

Quick Reply: How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit