Sponsored by:

How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:06 PM
SuperPana
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martopoulos
So, it didn't work, but discovered some interesting information. Here is a screenshot from the working Cayman with LED headlights:

On mine, the "Porsche Part Number" column value is blank (-) for both Left lamp igniter and Left light adjustment control unit. I have no idea why at the moment, but it could very well be the cause of the "No relevant programming rules for left headlight control module" error. That is to say, no rules can be found because it doesn't actually detect either of those two modules. I thought I might have a defective module on that side, but then realized neither modules are detected on that side, so there's no way that's what's up. Also, FWIW, there is a warning symbol on the first row under the DTC column, but I don't see any obvious way of getting more info on it. I'm gonna bring my car back to an indie tech who is a Porsche-pro to see if he can figure out why those modules are not detected. Not optimistic, but pretty much out of options at this point other than hardwiring the Daytime Running Light wires to an ignition-switched source and putting up with an error.
sorry to hear that it didn’t work.
Are your side markers working right?

Old 04-27-2020, 12:26 PM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperPana
sorry to hear that it didn’t work.
Are your side markers working right?
Yeah, they are. On 718s, they don't seem to be related to the headlights... or else I got lucky. If you want try PIWIS programming, you can get a Chinese hacked one here: https://www.vxdas.com/products/porsc...31468925780050 (mine arrived from there in 5 days, FWIW).

I was also reading some other threads and found that people have mirrored my experience, to some extent, when using non-Porsche/VAG branded control modules of the same part number. I bought a pair of new 7PP-941-572-BB modules off eBay, the OEM versions of which are actually manufactured by Mitsubishi for Porsche and other brands. However, the ones used by Porsche have the Porsche/VAG branding on them, while the eBay ones do not. At least one person with the same experience bought modules from the same seller, Lichtex.de. I had discounted this possibility for the reason listed in my last reply, but people talk about PIWIS not being able to see these generic modules at all (and therefore they cannot be reprogrammed), AND one person mentioned these modules also caused malfunctions from seemingly unrelated parts of the car. Of course, just to be confusing, one person claimed there are no differences in these modules save for the sticker label, so who knows. I do think I should swap (off goes the bumper again, sigh) and see what happens, though.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:43 PM
SuperPana
AutoX

Originally Posted by martopoulos
Yeah, they are. On 718s, they don't seem to be related to the headlights... or else I got lucky. If you want try PIWIS programming, you can get a Chinese hacked one here: https://www.vxdas.com/products/porsc...31468925780050 (mine arrived from there in 5 days, FWIW).

I was also reading some other threads and found that people have mirrored my experience, to some extent, when using non-Porsche/VAG branded control modules of the same part number. I bought a pair of new 7PP-941-572-BB modules off eBay, the OEM versions of which are actually manufactured by Mitsubishi for Porsche and other brands. However, the ones used by Porsche have the Porsche/VAG branding on them, while the eBay ones do not. At least one person with the same experience bought modules from the same seller, Lichtex.de. I had discounted this possibility for the reason listed in my last reply, but people talk about PIWIS not being able to see these generic modules at all (and therefore they cannot be reprogrammed), AND one person mentioned these modules also caused malfunctions from seemingly unrelated parts of the car. Of course, just to be confusing, one person claimed there are no differences in these modules save for the sticker label, so who knows. I do think I should swap (off goes the bumper again, sigh) and see what happens, though.
Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.
My modules are from Porsche. One thing I discovered yesterday is that when I try to turn on the headlights, they don’t light up and an error shows in the info display saying
“check high beam right/left”.
So there is a connection but they’re just not lighting up
Old 05-02-2020, 04:44 PM
SuperPana
AutoX

Any News?
Old 05-10-2020, 07:01 AM
SuperPana
AutoX

I tried to program with PIWIS and another programmer with no luck...
I can’t access the light modules, still there’s fault codes indicating high beam errors.
Maybe there’s a wiring issue? I’ve heard about xenon to LED conversions on Audi so I think there has to be a way to do it on Porsche as well.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 PM
SuperPana
AutoX

Does anyone have wiring schematics for 2014 Panamera with Pdls+?
I only need for the headlights.
Thanks.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:16 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!! After finding a mistakenly transposed set of CAN private high/low wires (and possibly by switching from unbranded Mitsubishi modules to used Porsche/VAG branded ones), the coding finally worked! For reference: this car is a 2019 but PIWIS II still successfully coded it all. Many thanks to chris2 for writing this guide. I will be writing my 718 adaptation guide and sharing soon. So glad it's over!!! (Well, except for the windshield/camera part, but like chris2, I'm waiting until I get a big crack...)

The following 2 users liked this post by martopoulos:
pazzom3 (04-19-2022), XLR82XS (12-08-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 01:45 PM
SuperPana
AutoX

Fantastic!
Please let us know how it was done.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:29 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Working on a guide as we speak!
Old 08-21-2020, 04:58 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SuperPana
Fantastic!
Please let us know how it was done.
Here you go! Not sure how useful it'll be for a Panamera, though.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...-retrofit.html
Old 12-08-2020, 08:47 AM
becausephilchow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does the error look like that you get? I want to see if it would annoy me. @chris2
Old 12-08-2020, 09:22 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this or not, but it definitely seems like you guys know your sh*t so:

Has anyone figured out how to code the Euro style adaptive LED program yet? In the BMW world I'm more familiar with, it seems all levels of in car coding have been cracked. From what I've seen its not nearly as code broken in the Porsche world. Would love to switch on the Euro program if there was a way. (Or more accurately, I'd love to pay someone a fair fee to do it for me)
Old 12-08-2020, 11:32 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by becausephilchow
What does the error look like that you get? I want to see if it would annoy me. @chris2

The picture above is what it looks like. It also makes a quiet warning noise (not the severe error chime). You will have to press the arrow button on your steering wheel (if you have that option) to dismiss it every time, even if you have High Beam Assistant disabled in Settings. After dismissing it, you'll have a small warning icon in the lower right-hand corner indicating there's a problem.

Last edited by martopoulos; 07-14-2022 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:37 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this or not, but it definitely seems like you guys know your sh*t so:

Has anyone figured out how to code the Euro style adaptive LED program yet? In the BMW world I'm more familiar with, it seems all levels of in car coding have been cracked. From what I've seen its not nearly as code broken in the Porsche world. Would love to switch on the Euro program if there was a way. (Or more accurately, I'd love to pay someone a fair fee to do it for me)
Yeah, chris2 actually posted to another thread how to do it, in theory. I say in theory because it requires a windshield replacement with the high-beam camera to function, a step neither of us has gotten to (because we're waiting for a nice, big crack to appear in the factory windshield before replacing). I can't find the thread quickly, but if you dig, it's out there. In short, it's just an option in PIWIS.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:36 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Perhaps this post?

Originally Posted by chris2
No, these things aren't being done because nobody is attempting it. It appears you can change US to EU specs with PIWIS, the appropriate coding byte is Byte0_Laendervariante, change from "SAE" to "ECE", then enable Byte5_Nebellichtunterstuetzung... not sure what else is required, if anything since I am in the process of retrofitting PDLS+ currently
​​​​​​​
I have PDLS+ on my .2 and Byte0_Laendervariante was set to "SAE". I have the USDM behaviour of automatic bright lights, where they are on if it's dark enough but turn off completely if there's any detected traffic around me. Can't remember what Byte5_Nebellichtunterstuetzung is set to.

I actually set Byte0_Laendervariante to ECE last night and noted no change in automatic high beam behaviour -- they are still either completely on or completely off. If I'm not mistaken, the euro version keeps them on but re-aims the light as to not blind oncoming drivers, turning them off only in very specific scenarios. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

Quick Reply: How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit