Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What model year had the problem
5.91%
21.94%
59.49%
Other: post comment
12.66%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Did you have a coolant leak/water pump replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020 | 06:10 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X51
Backed mine out of the garage Saturday to wash it, and had a 4-6" oval pink puddle on the floor. So, I'm taking mine back in next week after 470 miles and 4 months since the last water pump replacement. This will make the 4th water pump in the car in 15,900 miles if they have to replace it. Original, 9,200 miles, 15,400 miles and now 15,900 miles. Had the "C" version installed last time, we'll see what part number I receive this time. Quality and reliability are becoming disappointing.
Just had mine replaced recently and it was the “C” revision.

Did they also replace your valve block? I wonder if a combination of one or more of those getting stuck somehow causes enough back pressure to pop a seal?
Old 12-02-2020 | 06:29 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Purekoryo - they did replace my valve block. Since we were able to send men to the moon in the 60's with a fraction of today's technologies, you'd think water pumps would be made reliable in the 21st century.
The following users liked this post:
IXLR8 (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020 | 06:50 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X51
Purekoryo - they did replace my valve block. Since we were able to send men to the moon in the 60's with a fraction of today's technologies, you'd think water pumps would be made reliable in the 21st century.
I was gonna say that the government/people did give NASA unlimited funding but then my Porsche’s monthly payment popped into my head.
Old 12-02-2020 | 07:08 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

when does the lemon law kick in where they buy it back
Old 12-02-2020 | 09:20 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

barncobob - I've thought about the lemon law, but I'd need to check it out for my state. We'll see what happens next week at the dealer. My warranty is up in May next year and I told the service manager if it breaks after that time I'll be contacting our regional PCNA rep for resolution on Porsche's nickel, not mine. It's well documented, acknowledged by Porsche and the dealer network and a known flaw with the 991.2 3.0 liter turbo. I'm normally a guy who takes the high road with others, but this is becoming silly.

purekoryo - you made me laugh - so true.
Old 12-02-2020 | 09:43 PM
digitalwiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by X51
Backed mine out of the garage Saturday to wash it, and had a 4-6" oval pink puddle on the floor. So, I'm taking mine back in next week after 470 miles and 4 months since the last water pump replacement. This will make the 4th water pump in the car in 15,900 miles if they have to replace it. Original, 9,200 miles, 15,400 miles and now 15,900 miles. Had the "C" version installed last time, we'll see what part number I receive this time. Quality and reliability are becoming disappointing.
I put my 911 in today for the replacement pump. They told me they ordered the "D" part. Hope it works out for you.

I had to laugh about their covid precautions as their receptionist and person booking rentals wore her mask around her chin the entire time. LOL, such a mess here in California.

Last edited by digitalwiz; 12-02-2020 at 09:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sou98 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-02-2020 | 09:44 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Digitalwiz - please post your part number after the install is complete.
Old 12-03-2020 | 10:17 PM
digitalwiz
Instructor

Yes, I plan to. I'm happy to share that my service advisor at Porsche Marin reported that they are replacing the pump, coolant valve block and pressure line. This appears to be consistent with the updated corrective/preventative for water pump failures.
Old 12-03-2020 | 10:24 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Dang it. They must’ve had the old C version water pump on the shelf when they replaced mine. Crossing my fingers...

For those who aren’t superstitious and have had the C version installed care to let us know how many miles thus far? Or even versions before that?

Originally Posted by digitalwiz
I put my 911 in today for the replacement pump. They told me they ordered the "D" part. Hope it works out for you.

I had to laugh about their covid precautions as their receptionist and person booking rentals wore her mask around her chin the entire time. LOL, such a mess here in California.
Old 12-04-2020 | 08:57 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

if the pump is replaced under warranty and the car goes out of warranty is the pump still warranted for an amount of time?
Old 12-05-2020 | 01:41 AM
dj_dub
Rennlist Member

Add another to the list...caught mine pretty early it seems based on the pics I've seen here and how little residue I had. Never experienced any overheating issues, high temps or noticed any pink residue on the usual area. 2017 C2S 8800 miles, noticed a small pink puddle of coolant under the car about 2 inches in diameter and a little residue on the motor. Brought it into the dealership after sending some pics to the service advisor...diagnosed and replaced within 2.5 days under warranty no questions asked. Just got the car back tonight so I'm praying I never have to go through this again.

They replaced it with the C version. I asked them to take a look at the valve block, vacuum pump/lines when I dropped it off. My service advisor said the tech advised those parts were fine and did not need replacing. We'll see how this goes after replacement.

Old 12-05-2020 | 05:04 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

I'm curious, what mode are you guys driving in that have had multiple pump failures? Normal? Sport? I wonder if there's a correlation as the different modes run different coolant temps.
Old 12-05-2020 | 05:38 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I'm curious, what mode are you guys driving in that have had multiple pump failures? Normal? Sport? I wonder if there's a correlation as the different modes run different coolant temps.
And along those lines, are you tracking the car?
Old 12-05-2020 | 10:43 AM
arch7
Instructor

Good Morning! Thanks for all that have contributed to this thread. I want to add my story as well. I have a 2017 C2 and I am on my 3rd water pump. The first replacement was about 9500 miles. I noticed the same leak that is well documented here. That was about 2.5 years ago. Then in September, my wife and I were out on a Saturday morning to get coffee and suddenly I hear the fans at full blast, and by the time I look at the dash, I see the warning to stop the car. Stranded... and towed. Someone here mentioned that a water pump would not fail catastrophically, I disagree. There were no symptoms. Pump replaced for free but only by the grace of my dealer (the C version). I have an extended warranty, but they were cool about it since this had happened before. They had the car for 10 days for that one. Then, about a month later, and very few miles, out with my wife at night this time. She asked why the heat was blowing cold, and as soon as I reached down to feel it, fans to full blast and dash lights up. Stranded..... Towed. This time though, not the water pump, but the valve block issue. No coolant flow. Another 10 days.... It seems like they were not aware of this vacuum problem until my car comes in even though the TSB has been out for over a year. On Thursday this week I went back to dealer because there was some strange behavior from the mode switch and some odd squeak coming from the engine. I drove it around with the head mechanic and he agreed about the noise and that they did have to remove a bunch of stuff when they did the valve block and that something wasn't put back correctly. Coincidentally, later that day, I opened my garage and saw a pink puddle under the car. Blood pressure up! Towed..... 3rd time.... Yesterday they call and say that pump is fine and that it was caused by a bracket (which I didn't see mentioned here yet, so I thought I would post to let y'all know) which is normally done when they replace the pump, but wasn't on my car since it was out of warranty. No one asked me if I would care to pay for that out of pocket to make the car more reliable, nor did they suggest the extended warranty might cover it. This bracket somehow caused one of the coolant lines to leak and has now been replaced for free. I will post the part number when I get the car back on Monday and any other info I find. But if your car is in for a pump replacement, ask about the bracket. And, they said the sound symposer was bad which was causing the mode switch problem, and that some bolt was loose that caused the squeak, so hopefully both of those are fixed now too. I am now in discussion with PCNA about having them pay to put in version D of the pump. If they made a vD, than vC must not be good. Unless it's a variant for another reason (S car or something). Thanks again, just my story which I hope has come to an end... Be well everyone!
Old 12-05-2020 | 11:06 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

i doubt if there is a vD and I dont believe in unicorns either

Quick Reply: Did you have a coolant leak/water pump replaced?