Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What model year had the problem
5.91%
21.94%
59.49%
Other: post comment
12.66%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Did you have a coolant leak/water pump replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 01:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by barncobob
if the pump is replaced under warranty and the car goes out of warranty is the pump still warranted for an amount of time?
Yes, and get the warranty in writing from the repair shop.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:48 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Yes, and get the warranty in writing from the repair shop.
its the Porsche dealer since it was warranty
Old 12-05-2020, 03:04 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
And along those lines, are you tracking the car?
I'm thinking that running in sport mode is better. The guys who track often, I have not observed those guys having the leaks. So my hypothesis: the pump is variable capacity from what I researched and cuts flow in normal mode to run higher coolant temps for improved fuel economy. So, I'm thinking the pump running in reduced capacity mode is damaging the seals because the seals are getting too hot.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:40 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I'm thinking that running in sport mode is better. The guys who track often, I have not observed those guys having the leaks. So my hypothesis: the pump is variable capacity from what I researched and cuts flow in normal mode to run higher coolant temps for improved fuel economy. So, I'm thinking the pump running in reduced capacity mode is damaging the seals because the seals are getting too hot.
I’m also thinking that this is the mechanism and cause of the failure. The lead tech told me that the sleeve inside the pump moves back and forth to control flow. Keep in mind that there’s also a coolant shutoff valve (one of the valve the valve block that contains six COV), that controls the temp as well. My failure modes clearly have shown that the pump failed first then leaked into all six COV’s and the vacuum pump. If you see water pump leaking, they MUST replace all three of these components along with the affected vacuum lines. If they try to say it’s one or the other, they do not know what they’re talking about. The lead tech kept all of my old parts and spent 30 minutes going over everything. Wish I recorded this; as a Mechanical and Reliability Engineer, I was deeply fascinated and impressed by his explanation. And based on that discussion, it sounded to me that Porsche Engineers do not know 100% what the root cause is and that the approach is more of a trial and error.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:59 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

who wants to buy a 2021 when they cant even repair a 17-19..
Old 12-06-2020, 03:08 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Anybody have an idea on how difficult a job it is to replace the water pump? As these are coming off of warranty in the next year or so, are these going to be something that is easily replaced DIY?
Old 12-06-2020, 03:37 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think there is a direct correlation between track miles, driving mode, etc. Mine failed at 9200 miles the first time with a good amount of track time. Second time it failed at 15,500 with much less track time but more highway miles. Third time (now) and it has 470 miles on it and mostly sat in the garage since July when it was replaced.

As far as replacement goes, it is fairly involved. Bumper removal, brackets removal, access water pump. I don't think the pump is that hard to replace - it's the lines and valve block issues that are more involved. Everything on mine was replaced 470 miles ago, and it goes in again Tuesday for its latest official diagnosis. I filled it with coolant yesterday and drove it about 5 miles, pulled back into the garage and watched it drip underneath. That said, I think my coolant reservoir may be leaking as well. I think the most frustrating part is not only the cost of these cars and our assumed quality and reliability, but now the concern that we can't drive it very far without fear we'll be stranded if it grenades while on the road.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:00 PM
DonsBolt
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

add me to the list 2017 GTS 14,000 miles, at dealer now
Old 12-07-2020, 04:38 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

get a loaner, i paid 4 rental SEVEN days $300 +
Old 12-07-2020, 05:02 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,249 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by X51
I don't think there is a direct correlation between track miles, driving mode, etc. Mine failed at 9200 miles the first time with a good amount of track time. Second time it failed at 15,500 with much less track time but more highway miles. Third time (now) and it has 470 miles on it and mostly sat in the garage since July when it was replaced.

As far as replacement goes, it is fairly involved. Bumper removal, brackets removal, access water pump. I don't think the pump is that hard to replace - it's the lines and valve block issues that are more involved. Everything on mine was replaced 470 miles ago, and it goes in again Tuesday for its latest official diagnosis. I filled it with coolant yesterday and drove it about 5 miles, pulled back into the garage and watched it drip underneath. That said, I think my coolant reservoir may be leaking as well. I think the most frustrating part is not only the cost of these cars and our assumed quality and reliability, but now the concern that we can't drive it very far without fear we'll be stranded if it grenades while on the road.
Good grief...all this on a 2017 GTS?
Old 12-07-2020, 10:14 PM
digitalwiz
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

C-revision installed. They said the D part was on order. But they did indeed perform the updated campaign.

The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 10:56 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalwiz
C-revision installed. They said the D part was on order. But they did indeed perform the updated campaign.

You are one of the first to get this full multi-part repair/replacement process. Please keep us updated on its success.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:36 PM
sou98
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 water pump leak

replaced water pump leaked back in March 2020 after it hit 50k Kms.
for some reason it also need to replaced the torsional belt
all cover under warranty
Old 12-08-2020, 01:20 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Update on my visit to the dealership this morning. The water pump is NOT leaking, but one of the coolant lines IS, and there is a BULLETIN on it from Porsche, so at least they're acknowledging some repetitive issues with the pump and the ancillary parts. Of course the part has to be ordered, so I cannot drive the car until it is repaired. It didn't leak but a couple drips on the 10 mile drive to the dealership, but it was leaking a lot when I got it home after its diagnosis. SO, be aware of the bulletin and when you have your 991.2 in for service, have them check it for seepage or just have them replace it. Service manager told me it's a 2 hour task.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:09 PM
arch7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X51
Update on my visit to the dealership this morning. The water pump is NOT leaking, but one of the coolant lines IS, and there is a BULLETIN on it from Porsche, so at least they're acknowledging some repetitive issues with the pump and the ancillary parts. Of course the part has to be ordered, so I cannot drive the car until it is repaired. It didn't leak but a couple drips on the 10 mile drive to the dealership, but it was leaking a lot when I got it home after its diagnosis. SO, be aware of the bulletin and when you have your 991.2 in for service, have them check it for seepage or just have them replace it. Service manager told me it's a 2 hour task.
Yes X51, this is what happened to my car too, at least the latest thing. I just picked up my car. I had it towed on Friday for coolant on the garage floor. I thought it was the pump again, but it this joint between the aluminum thermostat housing and a plastic water tube. The pressure will eventually create a leak. So now they have a new part to add on to make the joint stronger. This is meant to be done if you have the pump replaced under warranty, but mine was just out, so they didn't. See the photos of the before, and then in the red circle is the new part (9A1-106-338-00) and it's 3 new bolts (9A7-008-129-00). So hopefully my coolant issues are behind me, but I am still investigating the version D of the pump to see what's different about it.

Quick Reply: Did you have a coolant leak/water pump replaced?