Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dear Porsche,

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

So what can be improved about the cayman/boxster? It's new turbo engine already exceeds the chassis in corners. Unless you're getting a 911 with RAS, PDCC, sport PASM, and AWD, a cayman arguably corners better too. Since this is the case, how is Porsche limiting the car?

I'm guessing you don't like the sound. A new GT4 is coming and you can get that.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

And don't say they should put a 500hp engine from a 911 chassis into it. The dynamics of the car would be way off...it would need AWD and PDK only at a minimum. Go get a corvette z06 if you want a car with a big engine and no chassis to support it.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
So what can be improved about the cayman/boxster? It's new turbo engine already exceeds the chassis in corners. Unless you're getting a 911 with RAS, PDCC, sport PASM, and AWD, a cayman arguably corners better too. Since this is the case, how is Porsche limiting the car?

I'm guessing you don't like the sound. A new GT4 is coming and you can get that.
True. The 718 Cayman S puts up as fast or maybe even faster times than the 991.2 base (I think they’re literally identical in acceleration and quarter mile, I’m sure the 911 faster around a track as it always is). But now they’re limiting the sound. It’s always something.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral

Wish list below (coming from a former 981 S owner who can't stand the new 4 cylinder powerplant):

1) 4 cylinder engine as base car with a lower MSRP. A 6 Cylinder turbo variant from 991 in S and GTS models. GT4 and Spyder can have NA engines on same path they have now.

2) Mechanical limited slip diff/PTV standard for S models and above.

3) 6 speed or 7 speed manual trans with lower gear ratios for gears 1 through 3 and a lower ring/pinion ratio. The highest overdrive gear (6 or 7) should be a bit taller to drop revs more.

4) More drastic difference between exhaust modes for PSE or more modes (normal, adaptive, loud).

5) A few more standard options on S and higher trim (4 way seats, auto climate, etc)

6) Option to select larger steel brakes as option in addition to PCCB options.

7) More defined roof drip rail (on rainy days, beaded water rolling off roof constantly gave me a bath when opening door)

8) Elimination of "hollow drum" sound when hitting front end bumps

9) AC condenser protection screens from the factory installed right in front of the condensers to retain open nose look but protect AC system.

10) Easier to access frunk latch system. (see new BMW X3 hood latches for reference)

11) HAND BRAKE!!!!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:53 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Wish list below (coming from a former 981 S owner who can't stand the new 4 cylinder powerplant):

1) 4 cylinder engine as base car with a lower MSRP. A 6 Cylinder turbo variant from 991 in S and GTS models. GT4 and Spyder can have NA engines on same path they have now.

3) 6 speed or 7 speed manual trans with lower gear ratios for gears 1 through 3 and a lower ring/pinion ratio. The highest overdrive gear (6 or 7) should be a bit taller to drop revs more.

4) More drastic difference between exhaust modes for PSE or more modes (normal, adaptive, loud).

5) A few more standard options on S and higher trim (4 way seats, auto climate, etc)

7) More defined roof drip rail (on rainy days, beaded water rolling off roof constantly gave me a bath when opening door)

9) AC condenser protection screens from the factory installed right in front of the condensers to retain open nose look but protect AC system.

10) Easier to access frunk latch system. (see new BMW X3 hood latches for reference)

11) HAND BRAKE!!!!
Yup, you see the light as well.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

the Turbo flat 4 in the Cayman is indeed a heavy hitter.

Minthral, what do you think
about a modern 912 with the Cayman motor?

The lighter motor would improve driving dynamics and provide greater power density.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:23 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 308 Posts

9,10 and 11 could be for the 991 as well except that I would also throw a spare tire as standard equipment in...

Originally Posted by ClassJ

11) HAND BRAKE!!!!
Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 PM
campbellbarker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I throw a spanner in?

From my POV, 911 was the only option because of its heritage, design status and 4 seats. I had dreamed about owning one forever .

Exact specifics were less important.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:42 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I don’t know... I love mid engined cars but with the extra space and reliability the 911 is sort of the perfect daily driver/road trip car/GT... while I’d love a 4.0 Boxter as a weekend car, I just think if the 911 lost the rear engine there wouldn’t be any GT cars on the market as good.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:30 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

It was never my intent to suggest that the 911 should be made a mid-engine car.

What I hoped to do was express my opinion that the Cayman platform should be allowed to reach its full potential and to allow others to discuss this subject.

I was optimistic that there would be more enthusiasts interested in such a vehicle.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
It was never my intent to suggest that the 911 should be made a mid-engine car.

What I hoped to do was express my opinion that the Cayman platform should be allowed to reach its full potential and to allow others to discuss this subject.

I was optimistic that there would be more enthusiasts interested in such a vehicle.
Then it would be called a 911.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:46 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
The GT4 is that vehicle - or at least the next one is that car. They will sell like hotcakes - however if you haven't had a deposit down for a couple of years you won't be able to get an allocation.

The 4 banger in the cayman doesn't worry me - have a drive in the 718GTS - its a great drivers car.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:57 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

No one has any thoughts on the 912?
Old 06-22-2018, 03:36 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Then it would be called a 911.
Hahah, Agreed. I wanted a sports car, but when I looked around there was nothing I liked..........But then I drove one that someone else had said the same thing, many years ago and decided to build. From my very first drive of a 911, I was hooked. I got it. It was like nothing else I had ever driven.

I have since driven Caymans, and in my opinion they don't stack up. They are MEH. Its like when I drove an M2. It too was MEH. The Cayman reminds me of an M2. Everyone talks about the balance and how it makes them feel like a better driver. I do not experience that at all.....I am not fooled. I will tell you exactly why they get that feeling from both an M2 that they don't get in an M4 and from a Cayman that they don't get from a 911.
It is because they are moving SLOWER!!!!

If you are doing everything slower, it can feel to you that it has more balance. The 911 has the right feel for me. I think they don't bother creating an UBER Cayman, because it would still be less than a 911, but out of its price bracket.

Some people feel safer in a smaller, slower car. I would think Porsche have had many rear mounted wins against Mid mounted competitors.

Each to there own, but 911 is where it is at for me.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:41 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I have since driven Caymans, and in my opinion they don't stack up. They are MEH. Its like when I drove an M2. It too was MEH. The Cayman reminds me of an M2. Everyone talks about the balance and how it makes them feel like a better driver. I do not experience that at all.....I am not fooled..
I think you were fooled . Its all about corner speed something the M4 can't manage and something 911s without rear axle steering can struggle with.

Quick Reply: Dear Porsche,