Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Feel like i murdered a dog not having RAS on my T
Old 09-05-2018, 01:37 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by GreginNH
Randy - you must be getting very excited! Hopefully you will share some pics of the delivery experience.
Two weeks away...
Old 09-05-2018, 02:43 AM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dchang81
This comment is on the money. I feel the same way sometimes. That said, I suspect the majority of Carrera Ts will be equipped with RAS so we need to get use to this....I also suspect that all Porsche cars will have it in the not too distant future. And I have no doubt it livens up the car substantively as I've experienced it first hand in my wife's Audi Q7. It's a revelation to be sure. That said, it's subjective as to whether or not it makes the Carrera T a better drive with vs without it. I'd argue that driving a 911 (CT in this case) that is clearly intended to bring out more of the raw dynamics that make 911s such an interesting drive in the first place, is altered significantly by it. Mastering the nuance of the cars quirky engine location is part of the fun that is lost with every new option Porsche delivers to make the car more manageable by mere mortals. I guess I get it more in a 500 hp GT3 or GT3 touring, where the goal is always to stomp the nordschleife lap time of the last gen GT cars, but that's not why I bought a T. I bought it for it's simplicity and what it attempts to be....... simple. My T doesn't have it and I like it that way....
Old 09-05-2018, 03:10 AM
CloudJumping
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shing911500e
This comment is on the money. I feel the same way sometimes. That said, I suspect the majority of Carrera Ts will be equipped with RAS so we need to get use to this....I also suspect that all Porsche cars will have it in the not too distant future. And I have no doubt it livens up the car substantively as I've experienced it first hand in my wife's Audi Q7. It's a revelation to be sure. That said, it's subjective as to whether or not it makes the Carrera T a better drive with vs without it. I'd argue that driving a 911 (CT in this case) that is clearly intended to bring out more of the raw dynamics that make 911s such an interesting drive in the first place, is altered significantly by it. Mastering the nuance of the cars quirky engine location is part of the fun that is lost with every new option Porsche delivers to make the car more manageable by mere mortals. I guess I get it more in a 500 hp GT3 or GT3 touring, where the goal is always to stomp the nordschleife lap time of the last gen GT cars, but that's not why I bought a T. I bought it for it's simplicity and what it attempts to be....... simple. My T doesn't have it and I like it that way....
good thoughtful reply
When I ordered mine in June, not many reviews on the T, I choose to keep it simple and cost minimal. I still want to get a Gt3 manual, perhaps in a year or two with Rws so I guess I can always get with that.

Overall I think I have to remember these 911's are all awesome and what a great time to be into cars.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:23 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts
Cool

Not me. I'd turn it down even if it was free. While it may be a "performance enhancer", it crosses my personal threshold for the basic, stripped-down performance ideal. We should all celebrate that Porsche gives us that choice!
Old 09-05-2018, 08:31 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

Did not get, no regrets. Did get PCCB for performance, appearance, NO DUST.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:05 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 45 Posts

Having had a '17 base Carrera without RAS and now the Carrera T with it, I can say for sure that there is a difference in handling. But it mainly shows up as increased stabiliy at high speed. I just spent a couple of days in the mountains with some hard-driving friends on the same roads I'd drivin in the '17 car, and learned what this new car can do. The old car was very good, nimble on tight mountain roads, and if you'd never driven the RAS version, you should have no complaints. But the RAS gave me a lot of confidence, especially in high speed sweeping turns, and I felt like I could really lean on the throttle earlier with it compared to my non-RAS Carrera. I'm also hoping to get back into autocrossing. I used to be pretty heavy into it, and I think the RAS will be a strong benefit there.

So wether you have it or not is really based on what you plan to do with the car. I was on the fence, it's not a cheap option and sort of agree with fueledbymetal that the T can get away with just the basics and be an amazing car. But these new Porsches are so tech heavy to begin with, it's hard to see how one more piece, like RAS, will hurt.

When I want raw and basic, I'll drive the 964.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:11 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

I thought RAS electronically shut off when speed exceeds 35 MPH.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:21 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
I thought RAS electronically shut off when speed exceeds 35 MPH.
0mph-37mph band:
Inside this operating speed range, RAS turns wheels in the opposite direction of the front wheels by up to 4 degrees. 4 degrees is a very small angle, so effects of RAS are rather subtle in this band. RAS reduces the turning radius by 1.5 feet, so you can make a U-turn on 3 feet narrower roads. It also allows you to pull out of tighter parking spots (approx 6 inches tighter).

37mph-50mph band:
RAS keeps tracking straight inside this speed band, so it does not make any difference at all.

>50mph band:
This is where RAS turns in same direction as the front steering by up to 4 degrees.
On the track, car's inertia pushes it wide (away from apex) but RAS counters this effect to a certain extent. To the driver it will feel like someone placed a giant rubber band at the apex and attached it to car, pulling the car in magically.
On the freeway, same-direction RAS mode allows car to "crab walk" between lanes. If an unexpected obstacle pops up in front of the driver, car can change lanes much faster than non-RAS cars.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:27 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
Not me. I'd turn it down even if it was free. While it may be a "performance enhancer", it crosses my personal threshold for the basic, stripped-down performance ideal. We should all celebrate that Porsche gives us that choice!
I agree.

Also, from people tracking, when going from left to right in combination corners, the RAS can make the car feel artificial and it feels like your rear is sliding. I hear it takes time to get used too. Personally, I prefer to use the throttle to steer the car.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:44 PM
CloudJumping
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racemor
Having had a '17 base Carrera without RAS and now the Carrera T with it, I can say for sure that there is a difference in handling. But it mainly shows up as increased stabiliy at high speed. I just spent a couple of days in the mountains with some hard-driving friends on the same roads I'd drivin in the '17 car, and learned what this new car can do. The old car was very good, nimble on tight mountain roads, and if you'd never driven the RAS version, you should have no complaints. But the RAS gave me a lot of confidence, especially in high speed sweeping turns, and I felt like I could really lean on the throttle earlier with it compared to my non-RAS Carrera. I'm also hoping to get back into autocrossing. I used to be pretty heavy into it, and I think the RAS will be a strong benefit there.

So wether you have it or not is really based on what you plan to do with the car. I was on the fence, it's not a cheap option and sort of agree with fueledbymetal that the T can get away with just the basics and be an amazing car. But these new Porsches are so tech heavy to begin with, it's hard to see how one more piece, like RAS, will hurt.
thanks for posting comparison. Its also hard to separate the T has PTV/LSD setup, which I feel also adds stability to overall dynamics of car.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:27 PM
dcottam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too!
Old 09-05-2018, 01:31 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Not for me. There is another 35lbs of hardware added to the car. Increased complexity. More electronics filtering the road from me.

I have never driven an RWD Porsche and said "gee I wish I had a micro controller steering the rear wheels).

If I was tracking the car....maybe.

On the street so far I could not be happier with how my T feels without it!
Old 09-05-2018, 01:48 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
Originally Posted by tgavem
I agree.

Also, from people tracking, when going from left to right in combination corners, the RAS can make the car feel artificial and it feels like your rear is sliding. I hear it takes time to get used too. Personally, I prefer to use the throttle to steer the car.
Couldnt agree more!!!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:02 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

I was being somewhat facetious. Love getting people's opinions, and value input about things I normally wouldn't think or worry about, but sometimes I get caught up in others opinions rather than my own.

Find the same with watch forums. Got a few pateks that everyone raves about, and like them no doubt but they aren't the second coming like the forumites convinced me they are. Back to the T, I love it RAS or no. The only miss is that it doesn't come in chalk.

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club